I'm looking at getting a 8900 from either AT&T or TMO. I'm left a little confused as to the difference in how the UMA works for voice and for data when in the U.S. and when overseas.

It seems like it may differe between AT&T and TMO as well. And whether one has a unlimited hot spot plan as well which I think is available from TMO for about $10 per month.

My questions are:

For data usage (i.e., web browsing, email downloading):

- does UMA work in both the US and overseas?
    - is there a charge against the minutes in plan or a per minute charge if over plan limit?

For voice usage:

- does UMA work in both the US and overseas?
    - does it work for both TMO and AT&T (I think not for the latter but not sure)
    - is there a charge against the minutes in plan or a per minute charge if over plan limit?
    - my understanding if calling from anywhere in the world it will be as if the call is made from your home country (in my case the U.S.) in terms of interational calling charges?; is that correct?

As an aside, does anyone have a strong opinion that the network speed is better for AT&T or Tmobile generally or does it vary by location?

Thanks.
    08-06-09 01:51 PM
    AT&T does not support UMA... only TMO in the US.... I'm not sure how UMA works overseas with a TMO phone... but in the US all your calls are charged against your calling plan, unless you have their Hotspot calling plan for UMA.
    08-06-09 01:58 PM
    To answer your questions:

For data usage (i.e., web browsing, email downloading):

- does UMA work in both the US and overseas? Yes.
    - is there a charge against the minutes in plan or a per minute charge if over plan limit? Data over UMA is through a WiFi connection so you are not charged for the data other than whatever the charge is to use the WiFi Hotspot. So be sure to find a free Hotspot and you are good to go.

For voice usage:

- does UMA work in both the US and overseas? Yes.
    - does it work for both TMO and AT&T (I think not for the latter but not sure) AT&T does not support UMA.
    - is there a charge against the minutes in plan or a per minute charge if over plan limit? UMA is charged just like your regular minutes are unless you purchased the "Hotspot at Home" plan option. If you do purchase this option then all minutes over UMA are free and do not deduct from your plan minutes.
    - my understanding if calling from anywhere in the world it will be as if the call is made from your home country (in my case the U.S.) in terms of interational calling charges?; is that correct? Yes. So you will only be charged an International rate if you call an International number - the same way as you would if you called an International number from your house.

Also AT&T has a better network but does not offer UMA. T-mobile's network is not as good as AT&T but does offer UMA. The important thing is to find out if the T-mobile network is good in your area specifically.
    08-06-09 02:02 PM
    I have used my Tmobile phone with UMA overseas in Hong Kong, mainland China and a few different spots in Europe. Some of those times I just connected to open wifi and called away. I also always bring my router and plug it into my hotel room if I am able to. When I do this as long as the internet speed is sufficient then I'm golden! All the calls I make on the UMA go right through just like I'm sitting in my living room at home.

The minutes come out of your plan, or if you have the $10 unlimited UMA you are set. I made hours and hours of phone calls in all those areas on the $10 unlimited plan and wasn't charged a penny extra. I can't give you any info on the data as I haven't tried that part yet. I just recently got the berry, was using a normal Nokia phone with UMA prior to that.
    08-06-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD