Hello everyone!

I have been trolling through the forums today and searching the internet to find out what I can about the Curve II and the Bold as I am thinking of upgrading my 8310. After everything I have read on the subject I think one link that best helped me at comparing everything is the following link:

http://http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/compare_advresults.php?phones[]=2895&phones[]=2710&phones[]=2322

Notable differences:

Both the Curve II (512 MHz) and the Bold (624 MHz) have a big increase in processor speed to the Curve (312 Mhz).

I'm not 100% sure about this but the Bold camera seems to be same as the Curve except that the Bold can also capture video.

The memory card for the Curve II is behind the battery door but NOT behind the actual battery, while the Bold memory card is on the left side of the phone.

Bold has 1GB built in memory.

Bold can connect to 3G networks while neither of the Curves can.

Curve II has a different charging port, it is MICRO-usb while the Curve and Bold are the MINI-usb ports. So all your old chargers will not work without an adapter. But I found one here http://www.motorazr.com/content/acce...-19--3062.html. Also the Curve II has the usb port on the lower right side of the phone instead of the upper left side (as on the Curve 83xx models). If this hinders using the keyboard while typing then I also found an adapter to handle that as well. Motorola SKN6258 OEM Micro USB Right Angle Charger Adapter Cable: Motorola RAZR2 V8/ RAZR2 V9/ RAZR2 V9m/ Q9h Cell Phone models Factory original Micro USB to Micro USB Right Angle Charger Adapter Cable

The Curve II and Bold each use the new operating system which will be better than OS 4.5 and below.

The Bold is slightly larger than both Curves.

The Curve II screen size is actually larger than the Bold screen size.

I think that covers everything at least everything that mattered to me. If I left anything important out then I'm sure someone will let me know. Personally for me I am going to see if I like the Bold's size or not and then make my final decision. I am leaning towards the Curve II because I like my 8310 so much. Hopefully AT&T will have these available within the next few weeks or so, if not the Bold it is since I need to buy a phone before the end of the year.

I am with Centennial Wireless, who do not offer 3G services so that is not a factor to me personally. I do realize that AT&T is attempting to buy-out Centennial at this time but that still needs to be approved and who knows how long it will be until 3G services are available to me. AT&T may even try to force me to switch to their pricing plans in order to use 3G, only time will tell on that and I do not want to give up my Centennial-based contract.

Hopefully this will help someone else out in deciding which phone to upgrade to.
    Last edited by aristile; 11-17-08 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added in the screen size note. Added in the note on the usb port position.
    11-17-08 09:35 PM
    A few mistakes...

The Curve 8900 screen is actually smaller than the bold...it is less wide . You can notice the difference on this link as the icons at the bottom of the curve 8900 are much smaller than that of the Bolds

blackberry curve 8900

Also the Camera on the curve 8900 is noticebly sharper than that of the Bolds (3.2 MP over 2 ) However Ive noticed that there is a huge lag time after taking a picture on the curve 8900 and the storm compared to the bold...it is pretty noticeable

The curve 8900 is an excellent phone! Im sure you'll be happy with the upgrade!
    11-17-08 10:03 PM
    I don't think I was mistaken on the resolution of the Curve II being larger than the Bold, as per the specs:

Bold Resolution: 480 x 320 pixels
    Curve II Resolution: 480 x 360 pixels

Sorry if I was not clear in my original post but I was comparing the Bold camera to the Curve (83xx) camera, not to the Curve II's camera - which is clearly better than the other two phones.
    11-17-08 10:08 PM
    You are right about the number of pixels on the 8900 .. it has a greater resolution, but the screen area is smaller, resulting in a more crisp image.

Also, as for comparing the bold camera to the 83xx camera, you should note that they have the same MP (2.0) and if the 83xx is running on OS 4.5.X it will also capture video.
    11-17-08 10:52 PM
    .M.E. - Thanks for the heads up on the camera. My Curve is currently running OS 4.5 but I did not notice that I could now capture video. Of course I never use the camera anyway but that is still good to know.

So the resolution is better which will provide more crisp viewing of images and video when compared to the Bold, awesome.

Anyone know the exact physical dimensions of the Bold screen and also the Curve II screen?
    11-17-08 11:07 PM
    Today I went into an AT&T store and spent some time with a Bold. I must say, I was definitely impressed. The phone was clearly faster than the Curve 83xx, as to be expected. There was a video on the phone which I watched and the quality was very nice. The most impressive thing to me was the speaker sound quality. I think it is worth mentioning that if you have large fingers and had to adjust to the curve small keyboard size then you will feel more comfortable with the Bold because they keyboard is larger.

The potential deal breaker for me on the Bold is going to be whether or not I can control turning off the 3G antenna or not. I am with Centennial wireless so I will need purchase the phone from AT&T, unlock it, update the OS and then use it. It has been reported that for some reason AT&T has disabled the ability to turn off the 3G capability on their phones. Centennial Wireless does not offer 3G service so it will be a complete waste of my battery if the phone is constantly looking for a 3G signal that it will not be able to use. Once I determine what I can do about the 3G service, I will make my final decision. At this point I am not concerned at all with the increased size of the bold, in fact I liked it more than I expected.

Does anyone know for sure if I would be able to return a phone if I unlocked it after I purchased it? I may end up having to be the guinea pig on unlocking the AT&T phone and then trying it on another carrier's network to determine if the 3G can be turned off or not. I could always E-bay it if I can't return it.
    11-18-08 07:39 PM
    You could just buy a Rogers unit and unlock. Since you have to unlock it anyway, that would give you the ability to turn off the 3g.

Unlocking it won't give you the ability to turn off 3g, its been done before.
    Last edited by AttaQ; 11-18-08 at 08:20 PM.
    11-18-08 08:15 PM
    I think there may be a difference between US and UK (Europe?) Curves

My lowly 8300 has always been able to shoot video.. And I am on a really old OS.
    11-19-08 08:01 AM
    What is the internal memory of the 8900? One thing I think is ridiculous on the Bold is with 1G internal mem, only 128K is available for operating use and 3rd party apps. I think I heard that the 8900 has 256K available for operating use.
    11-19-08 11:36 AM
    Just an addendum to your Comparos.

The CDMA Curves all run on 3G (Sprint and Verizon at least).
    11-19-08 11:49 AM
    DarkPhoenix - Can you explain what you mean by this?
    11-19-08 01:32 PM
    As far as I know CDMA EVDO is considered 3G due to speeds. However, CDMA 3G doesn't have some of the (to me) best benefits of GSM 3G such as: being able to talk and receive SMS/MMS messages, or talk and surf at the same time as examples.
    11-19-08 02:07 PM
    The 8900 has 512 as I recall. The specs are all laid out here somewhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 02:37 PM
    OK, so CDMA EVDO may have comparable speeds to 3G but it is not actually a 3G connection. That makes sense.
    11-19-08 02:39 PM
    GSM 3G has a a pipe for voice and a pipe for data so you can receive e-mail or surf while talking, at least so I believe.
    11-19-08 03:04 PM
    good thread giving insight
    11-19-08 03:33 PM
    As far as I know CDMA EVDO is considered 3G due to speeds. However, CDMA 3G doesn't have some of the (to me) best benefits of GSM 3G such as: being able to talk and receive SMS/MMS messages, or talk and surf at the same time as examples.

EVDO is 3G, but as stated by one of the previous posters, for Data only (Evolution Data Only/Evolution Data Optimized) , but it was the first 3G network put into place.

There really is no GSM 3G, as GSM is a 2G network. UMTS is the 3G that is used with GSM phone, hence the confusion.
    11-19-08 04:17 PM
    So I'm also at this same demila of whether or not to upgrade from my 8300 to the bold or wait for the curve 2, I have big fingers and I still have to say that I would prefer this sytel keyboard over the 88xx sytle the bold uses but the biggest thing for me is the camera/screen/video. So my understanding is the curve is going to have a better resolution but a tad smaller then the bold. But if you get into videos bold vs curve 2 wouldn't the better resolution make for a better experience on the curve 2? And the camera, is it a huge difference from the 2.0 to go to the 3.2 due to I've played with the new 3 mp cameras att has to offer(eternity and just got to play with an incite today) and the quality actually seems worse then my curves 2.0 in the same pictures? I'd post a side by side of the picture but I had to give the phones back, boooo) so leaving everything else behind if I was buying one of these 2 device for the screen only which would be the better quality? Bold or curve 2?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 06:54 PM
    @DarkPhoenix: for that matter the 3G standard doesn't even officially have a speed rating, something I found out not too long ago. I even saw that EDGE is part of the 3G standard.

Excerpt from wiki:
    Speed
    The ITU has not provided a clear definition of the speeds users can expect from 3G equipment or providers. Thus users sold 3G service may not be able to point to a standard and say that the speeds it specifies are not being met. While stating in commentary that "it is expected that IMT-2000 will provide higher transmission rates: a minimum speed of 2Mbit/s for stationary or walking users, and 348 [sic] kbit/s in a moving vehicle,"[2] the ITU does not actually clearly specify minimum or average speeds or what modes of the interfaces qualify as 3G, so various speeds are sold as 3G intended to meet customers expectations of broadband speed. It is often suggested by industry sources that 3G can be expected to provide 384 kbit/s at or below pedestrian speeds, but only 128 kbit/s in a moving car. While EDGE is part of the 3G standard, some phones report EDGE and 3G network availability as separate things, notably the iPhone.

Wiki has some cool info. I thought HSDPA was 3G, it is, but you're absolutely correct, it seems HSDPA is based on UMTS. Thanks for pointing the way so I could clear that up in my head.
    GSM
    Universal Mobile Telecommunications System
    High-Speed Downlink Packet Access
    3G
    4G

@ Tb2333: I'm sorry, did you mean to say "dilemma" "style"? Not busting your chops I'm just a bit of a spelling and grammar freak. I have friends with dyslexia and LD's in spelling so I'm not poking fun at you... If you can bring yourself to, try IE and there's an add-on called IE7Pro, one of the features is spell check. Google Chrome also has it, it'll underline misspellings for you. Hope this helps.
    11-19-08 07:50 PM
    Funny stuff uberspeed, you make fun of Tb2322's grammar but you fail to spell his name correctly? Wow, that's rich!
    11-19-08 10:32 PM
    Not to mention pointing out browser spell checks, even though i posted that through the wap from my browser, yeah its got a spell check. Question still in play though, quality of screens which is better. Bold or curve 2?
    11-20-08 02:10 AM
    The lack of 3G on the Javelin is not a big thing for me but a number of carriers who are pushing 3G very hard indeed may not take the Javelin to sell. 3G for carriers represents a big financial investment and they hope to recoup this by selling 3G only value added services like streamng TV and other servces.

Given that the Bold and the Javelin look similar to most users and that the Bold does have 3G, I feel that the Javelin may not reach as many carriers as we hoped it would.

I hope that I a wrong but I just have this feeling.
    11-20-08 03:37 AM
    I think when the CDMA 8900 comes to the market, I would take that over the Bold anyday. I like my Curve, and the only upgrade I can see doing is the 8900 or the Storm.
    11-20-08 07:47 AM
    Funny stuff uberspeed, you make fun of Tb2322's grammar but you fail to spell his name correctly? Wow, that's rich!
    I didn't make fun, I tried to help. Comprehension isn't one of your strong points, is it?
    11-20-08 09:29 AM
    uberspeed - Look please stop the snide insults now. If this were a forum on the English language then you could go right ahead and keep up all this back and forth trying to tell people how to type and speak better. At the very least you can create a thread on this specific topic then we can all go post there and you can critique everyone who posts. The last time I checked no one here was asking you for any type of lessons on their spelling and/or comprehension. If you can add to the topic here in this thread that that would be great, please continue to do that. Otherwise please keep these off topic comments to yourself or post them where it is more appropriate. Thanks for your cooperation.
    Last edited by aristile; 11-20-08 at 10:56 AM.
    11-20-08 10:49 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD