Hi All,

what am I doing wrong? I cant seem to get UMA working on my 8900. I've recently upgraded from 206 to 231, both of which apparently added the UMA function. I cant however get UMA to work.

On my Bold I just activated wifi, connected to my router and got a little UMA logo appear under the 3G status bars. When I activate wifi on my Bold wifi appears, not UMA and if I deactivate the mobile network to test, the phone tells me I am out of range of mobile networks. Well, surely that was the idea of UMA support to a degree! I can switch to wifi when I have no or limited coverage. This used to work fine on my Bold.

I'm using a sim free 8900 on Orange UK. Any ideas?

Cheers,
    05-06-09 03:23 AM
    What steps did you take in upgrading to .231. I upgraded yesterday and my UMA works fine...and actually works BETTER than my previous OS.

Have you tried a battery pull?

x
    05-06-09 03:28 AM
    I upgraded via the AppLoader. Just installed over my previous FW.

All installed fine, just cant make calls over UMA. Internet and data services seem ok, just calls arent working. It's just the fact that the phone still displays wifi that I dont understand. Does yours actually display UMA?

Gonna try a battery pull now.

Cheers,
    05-06-09 03:56 AM
    Battery pull never helped :-(
    05-06-09 04:04 AM
    That's strange.

Yes, when connected to WI-FI, my phone displays a wi-fi symbol as well as the UMA symbol. The UMA display replaces the EDGE display and WI-FI is below that.

The battery pull did not work.

Was this feature working for you on .206? If so, maybe going back down to .206 and then "re-upgrading" could help. I say this because this worked seemlessly for me and just like you, I used the App Loader.

Before you do that..go into your options screen; click Mobile Network and make sure it says "Wi-Fi" preferred. - If this isn't checked, it will make your phone revert back to EDGE when in use. - So check that and if not, try the downgrade and re-upgrade.
    05-06-09 10:07 AM
    Restart the router as well.
    05-06-09 10:17 AM
    That's strange.

Yes, when connected to WI-FI, my phone displays a wi-fi symbol as well as the UMA symbol. The UMA display replaces the EDGE display and WI-FI is below that.

The battery pull did not work.

Was this feature working for you on .206? If so, maybe going back down to .206 and then "re-upgrading" could help. I say this because this worked seemlessly for me and just like you, I used the App Loader.

Before you do that..go into your options screen; click Mobile Network and make sure it says "Wi-Fi" preferred. - If this isn't checked, it will make your phone revert back to EDGE when in use. - So check that and if not, try the downgrade and re-upgrade.
    Right, might be finding the problem here. Don't have the connection preference options. Completely missing. Very strange!

Data services on, mobile network Orange and selection mode automatic. Connection preference not there. Weird!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 10:20 AM
    I don't know if it'll help, but I have always had better luck with upgrades when I just went ahead and sent service books and registered the upgraded device myself. It may be overkill, but it can't hurt,

Send Service Books: Click your internet email icon (the envelope with a gear in front of it)> click service books> click send service books, or log onto your provider's website and send them from there.

Register Device: Click options> click advanced options> roll down and click host routing table> press your menu key> select register now> click back and close.
    05-06-09 10:24 AM
    I've recently upgraded from 206 to 231, both of which apparently added the UMA function.

I'm using a sim free 8900 on Orange UK. Any ideas?
    UMA function has been on all OS, not just 206 and 231.

There was a post about a week ago with a UK users who had a "Sim free" (for those who don't know, this means Unlocked) 8900. He also did not have the connection preference options. The thread came to the conclusion that is is a Orange UK problem. Here is more info on it, start at post # 21.

wi-fi-problem
    05-06-09 10:45 AM
    This problem doesn't apply to me as I work for Orange and have a company paid handset which isn't on a domestic blackberry package. I never saw the other post previously but if anyone is still having that issue just pm me your details. Its a really simple fix.

I work on the data support team and we've now identified the problem so let me know if anyone needs that problem fixing

05-06-09 12:44 PM
    Is it a really simple secret? While it's not an issue for me, It could better help the members of the forum for the fix to be posted in the forum.
    05-06-09 12:52 PM
    Yes, just post the solution so the next guy can get help when searching for this thread.
    05-06-09 02:13 PM
    Good information
    05-06-09 02:22 PM
    Hi,

sorry, its not something I can post and the end user can do. It's done at our end using the tools given to us by RIM. Basically there are a few different plans the consumer can be put on and one of them messes up UMA so we just change them to a different one. Takes a matter of minutes. We weren't aware of this and all customers put on whats called Plan D lost access to certain UMA services.

All sorted now, so as said if anyone is having this problem either PM me your number or give 156 a ring. It was briefed out a lot last week so all CSR's should know now.
    05-06-09 04:32 PM
    Thanks for clearing that up. This explanation sounds much better. The earlier post sounded like you were trying to keep something secret!
    05-06-09 04:36 PM
    ha ha, sorry! No secrets here!
    05-06-09 04:47 PM
    ha ha, sorry! No secrets here!
    Sweet, glad we got that sorted out! Here's one for you, Sir!:

05-06-09 05:16 PM
    Thanks methos! been trying to desperately activate UMA on my 8900
    !
    05-06-09 11:01 PM
    working to get my 10 posts min.......curious would those RIM tools mean access to escreens? From another thread it sounds like this is the money pot to access uma on particular networks.......but potentially hazardrous!
    05-07-09 07:12 PM
    Hi,

no, we dont have access to escreens directly. I've personally never logged in to that site so don't know if it's the same kind of thing that our tools allow.

I'll get back to you reg your problem. I'm in work as of 10am.

Speak later!

Cheers,
    05-08-09 12:53 AM
    The original post said he has UMA on his Bold? I thought the Bold didn't have UMA

05-08-09 01:44 AM
    I love the Black and Tan....

05-08-09 01:45 AM
    Oops, my bad! Meant my old Pearl 8120.

Sorry! You're right my Bold didn't have UMA.
    05-08-09 02:37 AM
    I love the Black and Tan....

I hear that!
    05-08-09 08:40 AM
    hello methos

i am unable to end a pm as i have less than 10 posts. would you be able to help me with the uma activation. my email address is cv at oddpost dot com

many thanks

chris venables
    05-10-09 05:46 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD