Good morning all, I'm a proud Christian and I'm not afraid to admit it. Like many people I struggle in my Christian walk. However, I always find myself turning back to the Lord.
    Amen Amen EYEZ he is a forgiving God
    09-22-08 10:57 AM
    I am here and I want to know if you all have any versions of the word for bb. I had it on my palm pilot but it will not upload
    I used Pocket eSword (FREE) on my Windows Mobile phones and it was by far the best Bible program on the market. I've just emailed the developer to see if he plans on releasing Pocket eSword for BlackBerry...we'll see!

And yes, I too am a Christian. For those of you who are not, please seek out the truth.
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 09-22-08 at 11:11 AM.
    09-22-08 11:08 AM
    Good morning, everyone. I had asked a question regarding the different versions of the bible and jazzfan answered that ESV is just one translation of many. Can someone enlighten me as to which versions correlate to which Christian churches? Thank you.
    I am bit confused by your question... but I'll give it a stab.

I hate to look at versions as church-specific translations; they are supposed to be simply translations of the original text. That is how I look at them.

Of course, changes in language and culture affect perception of translations. Some churches tend to lean towards specific translations for a variety of reasons; I don't bother with those. I say get one a version that you understand.

Forgive me for being overly simplistic. I do not want to start a needless discussion pertaining to theological principles here.

Are you looking for one for your BB?
    09-22-08 11:50 AM
    Will do am a firm believer that prayer changes things and people.
    Yep... made a note of it on my BB!!!
    09-22-08 11:51 AM
    I am bit confused by your question... but I'll give it a stab.

I hate to look at versions as church-specific translations; they are supposed to be simply translations of the original text. That is how I look at them.

Of course, changes in language and culture affect perception of translations. Some churches tend to lean towards specific translations for a variety of reasons; I don't bother with those. I say get one a version that you understand.

Forgive me for being overly simplistic. I do not want to start a needless discussion pertaining to theological principles here.

Are you looking for one for your BB?
    Thanks trelawrence, for responding. I'll need it for my Storm when I get it. I was just wanting some general info. Just trying to make sure I'm going in the right direction while looking at Christianity as a whole.
    09-22-08 12:13 PM
    Thanks trelawrence, for responding. I'll need it for my Storm when I get it. I was just wanting some general info. Just trying to make sure I'm going in the right direction while looking at Christianity as a whole.
    Some more basic info on a few:

Recent English Bible versions compared

Bible Translations

I like the work the first guy put into linking the translations... for example, ESV and RSV...

The free versions on the Olive Tree website are good for initial research...
    09-22-08 01:15 PM
    Some more basic info on a few:

Recent English Bible versions compared

Bible Translations

I like the work the first guy put into linking the translations... for example, ESV and RSV...

The free versions on the Olive Tree website are good for initial research...
    Thanks a bunch. I'll get to reading now.
    09-22-08 01:18 PM
    Good morning, everybody. I wanted to tell you guys how this thread has started to open my eyes. I have been a catholic for as long as I can remember and for the last 12 to 14 years haven't really been active. I started reading this thread a good while back and it led me to evaluating my efforts in my religion. Anyway, to make a long story short, I am reading the bible daily now. That's something I have never done before so it feels pretty good! I find myself yearning for more knowledge. Thank you all for listening and God bless!
    09-23-08 10:49 AM
    Amen my brother in the Lord!

I know what you mean. We preoccupy our lives with so many other things and forget about The Word. I'm guilty of it and reading your post convicted me. I go to seminary, but that is not the same as reading, studying and meditating on the Word of God in PERSONAL DEVOTION TIME.

Do we have a BBChristians PIN sharing thread?

Maybe we can all add one another and send encouragement, advice, etc.
    09-23-08 10:58 AM
    Good morning, everyone. I had asked a question regarding the different versions of the bible and jazzfan answered that ESV is just one translation of many. Can someone enlighten me as to which versions correlate to which Christian churches? Thank you.
    I don't think there is any direct corelation between the different denominational splits of Christianity and bible translations. In fact some translations are nothing more than language updating or inclusion of newly discovered source material for more accurate translations. There are organizations or whatever they would be called that take great care in preserving the accuracy of the text. There are many tanslations and many books on the history of translation. In fact if you were to read all of them it would probably take you years. If you are interested in learning about the history of translations I would seek council with your pastor (or whatever title they use at your church) and ask him or her what resources would be good for you to read to learn about the history of the translations of the bible.

I have PC Study Bible on my PC. I got the one that had like 16 or 18 different english translations. My personal favorites are the amplified, NASB, NRSV, NKJV, with occasional cross referencing to KJV, NIV, and the other translations. You will find there is a lot of identical wording and then places where wording is similar and then some even different enough to not be able to follow along if someone is reading out of a different version. But what I find great is that each translation offers depth to the language. What I mean by that is you gain a greater appreciation for the original languages used to write the text that we know as the bible. Many words have a greater meaning that some times be conveyed with the english language without writing a sentence or more for that one word. Some of the translations help convey that greater meaning by using different words or phrases. One of the reasons I like the amplified and listed it as 1st in my list is that it includes additional notations about the meaning of the original word(s) used.
    09-23-08 11:14 AM
    You answered before I could. Excellent and correct!

It's all individual choice. I prefer the King James and my second favorite is the English Standard Version. As the above posted stated, he likes the Amplified...I'm not a fan of the Amplified or the Message Bibles, but I grew up under a church that only used the KJV and I'm most comfortable with that.

You just have to seek the leading of the Holy Spirit FOR YOU about which version you feel most comfortable with and is the correct translation for you, your study habits and your devotional times.

I would suggest going to www.biblegateway.come and take a look at all of the versions of the Bible there. That way you can become comfortable and make an INFORMED choice suited for your needs.

I would also suggest getting a Parallel Bible with 2-4 different translations. I still have yet to find one with the ESV so I don't have one in my collection...
    09-23-08 11:23 AM
    Thank you, Stoneryno and msdizzy for the info. I have started reading the ESV version for now. I can easily understand the verbage and that is what I needed. I'll continue to explore the other versions, though. This is an exciting time!
    09-23-08 12:07 PM
    Good morning, everybody. I wanted to tell you guys how this thread has started to open my eyes. I have been a catholic for as long as I can remember and for the last 12 to 14 years haven't really been active. I started reading this thread a good while back and it led me to evaluating my efforts in my religion. Anyway, to make a long story short, I am reading the bible daily now. That's something I have never done before so it feels pretty good! I find myself yearning for more knowledge. Thank you all for listening and God bless!
    WTG!!! I am happy for you...
    09-23-08 12:34 PM
    Hello everyone. I was taking a drive during lunch and went by a church. I immediately began doing the sign of the cross. My question is do Christians also do that or not? If not, please explain why? Thanks Just curious.
    09-23-08 05:07 PM
    Hello everyone. I was taking a drive during lunch and went by a church. I immediately began doing the sign of the cross. My question is do Christians also do that or not? If not, please explain why? Thanks Just curious.
    Protestants do not normally make the sign of the Cross; however, there is nothing wrong with it. Some raise their hands when praying and singing. There is nothing wrong with either of these actions as the act of worship originates in your heart.
    09-23-08 08:18 PM
    Protestants do not normally make the sign of the Cross; however, there is nothing wrong with it. Some raise their hands when praying and singing. There is nothing wrong with either of these actions as the act of worship originates in your heart.
    Ok, thanks. It was a rumor I'd heard before that was obviously false.
    09-24-08 03:20 PM
    Please PM me here, 31B5DDFB, i put the wrong pin in and this is correct.
    09-24-08 11:14 PM
    I believe the sign of the cross originates in the catholic church. It is a sign of reverance. A friend of mine is catholic. There are many ways we can show our reverence and worship to God. I hold my hands over my heart. Common things I see people do are raise their hands, bounce on their toes, dance, kneel, and lay prone on the belly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 12:04 AM
    I believe the sign of the cross originates in the catholic church. It is a sign of reverance. A friend of mine is catholic. There are many ways we can show our reverence and worship to God. I hold my hands over my heart. Common things I see people do are raise their hands, bounce on their toes, dance, kneel, and lay prone on the belly.

That might prove difficult to do while driving but point taken. LOL. Everyone have a great day!
    09-25-08 11:06 AM
    Praise The Lord!!!

What's your feeling on people who call Christians "JESUS Freaks" and/or "Bible Thumpers"?
    09-25-08 12:32 PM
    I have no issues with being called a Jesus Freak. In all actuality, I am one!

Bible Thumper...hmmmm now that for some strange reason I have an issue with. I guess because I know the negative meaning behind it from the past.

They called Jesus all sort of names, so do we expect not to be called worse, or similar?

All I have to say is...they can call me whatever they want...only Jesus knows my real name, CAUSE ITS WRITTEN DOWN IN GLORY! Hallelujah!!!!!
    09-25-08 04:07 PM
    Now this is a forum that I'm talking about! I am a christian and I love GOD. I'm not all he is expecting me to be as of yet, But I am pressing towards the mark!
    09-26-08 08:52 AM
    I just thumbed this awesome response and I got kicked out lol
    I will respond later. Praise God anyhow.

09-26-08 12:56 PM
    My Bible is on my BlackBerry. Can't thump it...

In any case, anyone have devotionals on their devices?
    09-26-08 04:25 PM
    ^^^LOL
    Nope. I wish I did. I don't know if the Olive Tree Beta (with Media Card) has that option yet...this is when I soooooo miss E-Pocket Sword
    09-26-08 07:00 PM
3,184 ... 910111213 ...