Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts
    PIN
    795F86BF
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default So what happens when you put the wrong password 10 times?

A lady friend of mine has a password protected Blackberry and I like to mess with her from time to time and do multiple attempts to unlock her phone. One day I asked her what would happen if I tried 10 times and failed, and she didn't know the answer. I was scared to find out myself, so can anyone tell me?
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,306 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin Point Accuracy

...all data is wiped from the device.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts
    PIN
    795F86BF
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

and it can't be recovered at all? wow... she would've KILLED me.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,306 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin Point Accuracy

Only if a backup was done first...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,393 Global Posts
    PIN
    You have to be on the VIP list

Yes, not a good way to mess with someone.
    Retired Forum Moderator
    ---------------------

CrackBerry Forums How-To

CrackBerry Tips & Frequently Asked Questions

CrackBerry Addict

Listen Amen,

You would only want to mess with someone's blackberry if you wanted to break up with them. But if you like this gal and you did it just for the fun of it and the fact that she can't recover her data, well I don't think she would find any humor in it and she might distance herself from you until she cooled off from being angry. No way would it be worth it to get a rise out of her.
    This is just a view point from another female. Glad you asked before you did something that could have been disastrous for you.
    Gia
    "Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest... It's about who came, and never left your side. There comes a point in life when you realize who really matters, who never did, and who always will"
    - Unknown
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default I am at try # 8 and do not know my password!

I love most everything about the BB 8830 but am puzzled and scared by the password thing. I can't remember setting up a password at the Verizon store. I would like to use password keeper (I assume it lets you store passwords for sites you visit?), but I can't get in.

I tried "blackberry" with no success. Have been running with password disabled. The other day I tried enabling, and set up a password. Sure enough it kept locking and I could unlock the device with the password. I tried password keeper and used up another precious attempt unsuccessfully with that password. I went back and disabled password. I am now at 8/10.

Re: wiping data. That means everything I have entered, contacts, notes, etc.

How and where can I back it up, and how does one recover it?

Appreciate any guidance.

Pat
    CrackBerry Newbie

my girlfriend found a blackberry 8100 in town and found that it had a password on it .is there any way to retreive the password with hacking programs

or if not is there an easy way to wipe the whole phone clean
    and start again
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by brombeer View Post
    I love most everything about the BB 8830 but am puzzled and scared by the password thing. I can't remember setting up a password at the Verizon store. I would like to use password keeper (I assume it lets you store passwords for sites you visit?), but I can't get in.

I tried "blackberry" with no success. Have been running with password disabled. The other day I tried enabling, and set up a password. Sure enough it kept locking and I could unlock the device with the password. I tried password keeper and used up another precious attempt unsuccessfully with that password. I went back and disabled password. I am now at 8/10.

Re: wiping data. That means everything I have entered, contacts, notes, etc.

How and where can I back it up, and how does one recover it?

Appreciate any guidance.

Pat
    You will need to user BlackBerry Desktop Manager (DTM) to do a full back up of your BB. You can download it for free from either you're carrier's site, or from BlackBerry.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by sinisterkiller View Post
    my girlfriend found a blackberry 8100 in town and found that it had a password on it .is there any way to retreive the password with hacking programs

and start again
    There is not way to retreive the password with hacking programs...you'd be long dead before it could crack the encryption.

To wipe it clean, enter the wrong password 10 times. I should stress that if I lost my BB, I would want the person who found it to return it to me (my email is on the lock screen)...not to mention, that I'd be fired for loosing it in the first place!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    PIN
    cushion

If the DEVICE password is set, you cannot do a backup of the device without the password.

If it's the Password Keeper password, then you can do a backup, try 10 times (wiping just the Password Keeper data), (advanced) restore from backup, and try it again... Or if you never put any data in Password Keeper, just enter the password 10 times and then set a new one.
    BES Admin somewhere in West Michigan
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    PIN
    cushion

Quote Originally Posted by sinisterkiller View Post

and start again
    OMG, seriously? No, call the carrier to report you found it and/or go to the police station and turn it in. Don't be a **** and keep it without making a VERY good faith effort to return it. I know I would pay a reward to get mine back.
    BES Admin somewhere in West Michigan
    CrackBerry Newbie

so if i put in the code wrong ten times it wipes clean yeh.

do i have to do get a puk code from the phone vender to get it workin again like other phones
    or can it be used again ok like it was outta the box
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    PIN

Just read an article a few mins ago from BerryReview.com on how to set the password protect and what happens when the wrong password is entered 10 times...

Here it is: FAQ: How To Password Protect Your BlackBerry | BerryReview
    CrackBerry Newbie

that wasent what i aksed about
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've lost a blackberry pearl on which I set a password, but the phone wasnt linked to any corporate setup so would it be using the standard amount of pw attempts? Is this 10? Also, when it says the phone will be wiped after failing passwords, does this include data on the mini sd card? If someone took the mini sd out, they would be able to take the info from there right, as it's not's encrypted? But this info wouldn't include things like sms messages, contacts, calendar etc? Am I right with all the above?

Thanks

Marc
    CrackBerry User

Yea unfortunately it will delete all data and it is also case sensitive so be aware of whether or not u have it set to enter numbers as opposed to letters. I wiped my berry by accident once, drunk at a party and entered password wrong 10 times not realizing that it was set to numbers and wiped...imagine you drunk with a wiped berry, sobered me up and ruined my night.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default So whats the answer?

One of the questions posted was how do you fix the lost password problem before you hit the max attempts?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomad1600 View Post
    One of the questions posted was how do you fix the lost password problem before you hit the max attempts?
    There's no fix. You either remember the password, or you lose your personal data. There's no backdoor into the BlackBerry. If there was, it wouldn't be secure.
    CrackBerry User

could any 1 tell me the steps, on how to make the phone works again ...?
    i mean after the 10 wrong attempts? a friend of mine, she just forgot her password, while she was drunk. and now she want to unlock it... she dont mind that the data is wiped clean...
    Last edited by n30nz; 04-26-2009 at 03:33 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by n30nz View Post
    could any 1 tell me the steps, on how to make the phone works again ...?
    i mean after the 10 wrong attempts? a friend of mine, she just forgot her password, while she was drunk. and now she want to unlock it... she dont mind that the data is wiped clean...
    I haven't run into this problem yet but from what I understand once you enter the wrong password 10 times and the phone wipes itself you just use it as normal.

Hopefully your friend backed her Blackberry up using the desktop manager.
    You know how to get hip to my heart
    iLove
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default after the 10th try.

After you enter the password incorrect 10 times (or whatever the limit is on you BB), it cleans the memory. You can then turn it on, and it looks like a new phone. All the applications that existed remain, but all the logons, emails, texts, and other personal data has been wiped. If you "find a phone", you get the phone, but you don't get access to the personal data.

I know this to be true because I just did it on my corporate BB curve before I turned it in the last day of work.
    CrackBerry Newbie

If it wipes the phone clean then that's the stupidest security function. If someone found your phone and entered a wrong password 10 times and it wipes clean then isn't that what you want? Now they have a perfectly clean phone to use! Seriously?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

The purpose of the password is to protect your data. You can always get another phone. A thief having all your friends' and family's names, addresses, and phone numbers is far worse than you losing a phone. You have to notify your carrier if your BlackBerry is stolen, because calls will be charged to your account until you do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

My girlfriend DID do this not knowing what happen. When i turned it back on the wipe screen came up so i pulled the battery out and searched google, and here i am. Any way to stop it from erasing the memory? i have a lot of **** i want on there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast