The latest BBM update allowing me to chat with other people who has BBM infringe on my privacy. I refuse to download the update.

BBM should have just allowed us to discover people using phone number. That would have been more effective, what people want & it doesn't infringe on our privacy.

The main reason why is because the phone number only let me know who in my address book has BBM & I will never see their phone number on BBM. So if I add 100 colleagues to the group chat, those who don't have each others phone number will never see the phone number, just see the PIN only.

I will hold out... who is with me?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 08:29 PM
    You still have full control and can deny and block whomever is trying to contact you..

You have always been able to send BBM invites via email,..

But I also feel like something is missing..

It should be optional OptIn to allow invitations and chat requests via any other ID than BBMPIN.

So for those who want to tighten up, could do so,..
    nah.uhh and 00stryder like this.
    04-24-15 09:09 PM
    What are you talking about ? It just goes through your contacts emails and sees if they have a registered ID. It's a brilliant idea. From there you can invite whomever you wish, and you can refuse anyone you want as well.
    None of your information is shared other than the fact that you have bbm. Which should be obvious.
    habs_fan and shorski like this.
    04-25-15 12:31 AM
    Me too. Hate the green light it stays online. Now I don't know who's online to call.

 Z30 STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    moegh likes this.
    04-25-15 12:47 AM
    But I also feel like something is missing..

It should be optional OptIn to allow invitations and chat requests via any other ID than BBMPIN.
    +1

Should be OPT IN toggles for
    Find me via:
    � phone number
    � BBID
    � All
    � BBM only

And
    Find others via
    � phone number
    � BBID
    � all
    � BBM only

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 04-25-15 at 09:56 AM.
    04-25-15 01:33 AM
    What are you talking about ? It just goes through your contacts emails and sees if they have a registered ID. It's a brilliant idea. From there you can invite whomever you wish, and you can refuse anyone you want as well.
    None of your information is shared other than the fact that you have bbm. Which should be obvious.
    I think it is a stupid idea coz I loose all my privacy now BBM is no better than WhatsApp. They should have just implemented discover my friends via phone number which is a much before option coz that's what most people are used to.

Then at least my privacy is still kept intact. I don't have to talk to total strangers who message me. Using phone number means they have to request first then only if I want to o add them.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 01:37 AM
    I think it is a stupid idea coz I loose all my privacy now BBM is no better than WhatsApp. They should have just implemented discover my friends via phone number which is a much before option coz that's what most people are used to.

Then at least my privacy is still kept intact. I don't have to talk to total strangers who message me. Using phone number means they have to request first then only if I want to o add them.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. I'm holding off on update.. my address book is pretty big.
    I'm sure some others have much much larger address books - like a dj or.. Drake. Lmao

... if whatsapp adds "find via email" or a way to sign up without your phone number, I honestly think I'd switch.. as of right now, out of the box.. BBM doesn't really offer much.. for the first time in a while, I'm having a hard time finding reasons to use BBM. The only reason I have at the moment, is the phone number. I do not want to and will not sign up for any service where confirming my phone number is a requirement. Aside from that.. I liked BBM voice and video.. only have 1 BlackBerry contact and calling my playbook from passport shows the video sideways.. so I should say BBM voice.. but whatsapp and facebook have voice, Skype has video, instagram has retraction including media, snapchat has timed messages.

BBM.. just does messages.. doesn't even have emojis.. but has ads.. can't retract for free and even when paying the subscription you still can't retract media (sent pic to wrong person). Can't record video in low resolution, so sharing video isn't realistic.

I hate to say it, but it looks like BlackBerry's "enterprise" direction is just rich speak for consumer clueless.
    I see BBM continuing to become more useless as Chen tries to pimp 100million off of it

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 04-25-15 at 02:17 AM.
    04-25-15 01:38 AM
    You guys must not understand the word 'privacy '
    This feature is exactly like what every other messaging and social media app uses. It goes through your address book to see who is using bbm and gives you an option to invite them to chat.
    They can't see your profile pic, nor your status
    If they message you you can simply ignore or block them if you don't want to add them.

And you want to use phone numbers to add people? Lmfao. THAT'S an invasion of privacy. Harvesting phone numbers like whatsapp IS an invasion of your privacy since it is not possible to truly block a phone number from reaching you (only once the message or call is made to you will your phone be able to block it, but they can simply dial with a hidden ID)

You're funny, it's clear that you haven't even tried it and yet you're bashing it. Btw, like I explained nothing is really happening other than letting you know who has signed up for bbm and who hasn't.
    shorski and habs_fan like this.
    04-25-15 09:46 AM
    I don't understand the complaint. The messages can only come from someone who already has your email address, and uses BBM. Someone you already gave your email address to, and who could just as easily email you. You can accept or block BBM from the contact. How is this any more an invasion of privacy than an email BBM invite, which has always been there? Please explain, I'm not getting your point.

Posted via CB10
    shorski, habs_fan and conite like this.
    04-25-15 10:01 AM
    I guess you just don't update then.
    louzer, moody and RWB3325 like this.
    04-25-15 10:11 AM
    I guess you just don't update then.
    Pretty much.

I think it's good since for the last while people have dropped from BlackBerry to other platforms so now bbm users can get re acquainted with each other.

I've gone through my contact list and see many contacts. I have also sent a number of messages to people listed, only for them to say they've already uninstalled BBM.

Now if the contacts listed show active bbm users, that would be better.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-25-15 10:28 AM
    I don't understand the complaint. The messages can only come from someone who already has your email address, and uses BBM. Someone you already gave your email address to, and who could just as easily email you. You can accept or block BBM from the contact. How is this any more an invasion of privacy than an email BBM invite, which has always been there? Please explain, I'm not getting your point.

Posted via CB10
    This!

There is no "privacy" issue! It only picks the contacts up that are your address book. Only your contacts that have your email (that are in their address book) and bbm can contact you. And you're able to block them as well. So there is NO privacy issue at all

Posted via CB10
    moody, anon(9208252) and conite like this.
    04-25-15 10:39 AM
    BBM is actually following WhatsApp. First BlackBerry following Android and now this. What is wrong with BlackBerry people? BBM was supposed to be something different. What makes the people at BlackBerry think that BBM will gain users? It'll not. What? Now should we expect BBM showing "online" like WhatsApp? If this happens, then BlackBerry really needs help. Maybe after that they can just sell themselves to iOS or Android. Sorry to be harsh but this much feared I am about the brand I love the most.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 10:44 AM
    This!

There is no "privacy" issue! It only picks the contacts up that are your address book. Only your contacts that have your email (that are in their address book) and bbm can contact you. And you're able to block them as well. So there is NO privacy issue at all

Posted via CB10
    Don't you think that sometimes you just wanna maintain a difference from someone without being rude to that person by blocking that person? I mean come on, now unwanted messages (everyday issue on WhatsApp) will start in BBM too. Unwanted "Heys" "What's Ups" from people you don't wanna talk at the same time you don't wanna block them and come off as rude to that person.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and Madhuchandran like this.
    04-25-15 10:47 AM
    BBM is actually following WhatsApp. First BlackBerry following Android and now this. What is wrong with BlackBerry people? BBM was supposed to be something different. What makes the people at BlackBerry think that BBM will gain users? It'll not. What? Now should we expect BBM showing "online" like WhatsApp? If this happens, then BlackBerry really needs help. Maybe after that they can just sell themselves to iOS or Android. Sorry to be harsh but this much feared I am about the brand I love the most.

Posted via CB10
    What are you talking about!? Lol I'd love to see if a bbm contact is "online" (still using bbm, active ect) so you don't want BlackBerry to make bbm better, and if they do then you will whine and say it's like other apps (considering whatsapp is really successful maybe BlackBerry should try to make some features like they have)

Posted via CB10
    anon(9208252) likes this.
    04-25-15 10:47 AM
    Pretty much.

I think it's good since for the last while people have dropped from BlackBerry to other platforms so now bbm users can get re acquainted with each other.

I've gone through my contact list and see many contacts. I have also sent a number of messages to people listed, only for them to say they've already uninstalled BBM.

Now if the contacts listed show active bbm users, that would be better.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    If BlackBerry could make it show active bbm users that would be sweet and even better

Posted via CB10
    anon(9208252) likes this.
    04-25-15 10:53 AM
    Of all the reasons not to upgrade to the newest BBM ( don't have to pay for timed messages etc) you decided to pick "because of the new email contacts."
    Wow!!!!
    I protest & refuse to update the latest BBM update-img_20150311_065743_edit.png

Keep Calm and Berry On..........
    04-25-15 10:55 AM
    That's said.
    You've been seeing suggestions of your contacts who are on BBM via their emails before and you had no complains.
    Now blackberry gives you the power to chat directly with them without having to add or invite them and you are already starting a riot. Oh my gosh!!!

Besides, these contacts are known to you. It's not just some random contact.
    You still have the power to respond to such BBM when they come, don't you?

Last edited by shorski; 04-25-15 at 11:10 AM.
    04-25-15 10:59 AM
    Double post.
    No pun intended though.

Last edited by shorski; 04-25-15 at 11:13 AM.
    habs_fan, moody and conite like this.
    04-25-15 11:01 AM
    I don't understand the problem. It's a good update.

BLΛCKBΣЯЯY ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    habs_fan likes this.
    04-25-15 11:24 AM
    OP your are a protest group of one, now sit in the corner by yourself and enjoy (just plain stupid) .
    habs_fan and shorski like this.
    04-25-15 11:38 AM
    Ok I think most of you just don't understand what the problem is.

Now BBM allows people to chat with you once they have your email. This is a total invasion of privacy.

In any case this email crap is not accurate and coz I have 4 emails. Everyone I know only know one of my 4 so if it is evenly distributed only 25% of my contacts who have BBM will be able for contact me.

I think using the same principle if BBM uses phone number to do the same thing it would be more effective. However don't let them chat directly with me. Make them invite me first so that I decide if I want to add them or not. This is not an invasion of my privacy.

Allowing people to contact me directly without my consent is.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 11:40 AM
    Ok I think most of you just don't understand what the problem is.

Now BBM allows people to chat with you once they have your email. This is a total invasion of privacy.

In any case this email crap is not accurate and coz I have 4 emails. Everyone I know only know one of my 4 so if it is evenly distributed only 25% of my contacts who have BBM will be able for contact me.

I think using the same principle if BBM uses phone number to do the same thing it would be more effective. However don't let them chat directly with me. Make them invite me first so that I decide if I want to add them or not. This is not an invasion of my privacy.

Posted via CB10
    Then block them on bbm before they start talking to you, and tell them you deleted bbm if they ask it's really not a big deal lol

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 11:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    They already have your email address. They can already contact you whenever they want.

But, whatever. You are entitled not to like it. I like it.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan and conite like this.
    04-25-15 11:45 AM
    I get over 100 spam emails a day. How many do you get?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 11:54 AM
33 12