Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    6,562 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What's your favorite BB10 programming tutorial?

I've been doing as many tutorials for BB10 as I can find. The very best I've come across so far?

https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...p_project.html

This tutorial builds the "Quotes" sample app. Why do I like it? It is long, and detailed, and covers a very broad range of programming concepts, including UI layout and coding in Cascades QML, and C++ coding for business logic and data access.

Done any other good ones? Post them here!

Global Posts
    6,562 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Update: when I first posted this, I'd just gotten through a couple of the stages of this rather involved tutorial. I've just finished it, and frankly it's not just an instructive BB10 tutorial, but one of the best programming tutorials I've ever had the pleasure of doing.

I spent a couple of nights going through it (yes, it's that involved). Sure, you could burn through it in an hour or so (particularly if you copy/paste the code--I typed it all), but it honestly covers so much, and so well, that it's worth taking some time. The material that covers the way C++ binaries interact with QML was worth the time in itself. My hat's off to the author.

My first BB10 app will be a lightweight note-taker; safe to say it's going to be a development of this code. My thanks to RIM--this is great stuff!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,961 Global Posts

Not a fan of specific tutorials personally.
    I prefer a generic or multi-platform tutorial that teaches the basics in something like Java or C++

You may soon find that following tutorials will end up with you making an app that is a slight variation on a tutorial app.

Sample code is my favourite tool when programming for a different platform. I already know how to code what I want to code, I just need to know the syntax and API hooks that I need.