I'm new to mobile device development and would like to learn more about securing mobile devices. I'd like to create an application that runs on my Blackberry pearl mobile device that can audit itpolicy security settings, lock/unlock the screen, disable bluetooth and perform a wipe of personal info without using a BES.

From what I've researched, the only applications that can be written for Blackberry are in Java. I've been reading through the api docs hxxp://www.blackberry.com/developers...api/index.html to see what capabilities are possible, but it appears that there are limitations in the available api's that make it difficult to write such an application.

It appears that security settings can only be read via the net.rim.device.api.itpolicy. It seems that the only way to make changes to the security settings is via event injection class, which is unreliable since sending a series of key presses is necessary and the position of program icons can change. Does anyone have other ideas on how to make policy or settings changes on a blackberry?

I've seen ads for other software apps (e.g Roblock) that can wipe a blackberry when sms text messages are received, so I know that this is possible. Any ideas that can lead me down the right path?
    09-29-08 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD