Just received an email from Blackberry's app world team. It looks like they are going to be instituting a minimum payment threshold for Blackberry commerce payments. They're setting it at a high $50. While this won't impact many of the bigger developers, it could have a large impact on smaller, hobby developers. Keep in mind that this $50 threshold only applies to Blackberry commerce payments. Bango and other payments aren't included, so if you make under $50 a month on Blackberry commerce purchases, you will no longer be getting a monthly payment. Having 3+ payment services on 3 different schedules has been annoying, but at least Blackberry commerce was a consistent source of income. Now it's not.

It's obviously a cost-cutting measure, and while I don't object to it directly, I do think the threshold is way too high. Google's Play Store has no threshold (or something minuscule like $1) and iTunes is $20. I've sent an email to BB World vendor support stating my concern, and I'd recommend anyone who shares the concern to do the same.

Dear Valued Vendor,

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve operational efficiencies and provide a consistent experience to BlackBerry� World� vendors, a minimum threshold will be applied to vendor payments.

Effective in January 2014, BlackBerry Commerce will be implementing a $50USD minimum threshold on vendor revenue payments. Vendors that earn less than $50USD during a given month will have their payment deferred until they accumulate a total of at least $50USD. Subsequently, once the $50USD minimum is reached, the vendor will be compensated during the regular monthly vendor payment process at that time.

Note that vendors that earn more than $50USD during the month will not be impacted by this change and will receive regular monthly vendor payment as usual. Also note that this change applies only to payment transactions handled by BlackBerry Commerce. It does not change anything for transactions performed by Bango or Digital River.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact BlackBerry Commerce by emailing [email protected].

Happy Development,

BlackBerry World Team
    12-12-13 11:51 AM
    Yeah I got that email today......kinda sucks for me, as I don't make the $50 threshold/month
    12-12-13 11:55 AM
    The way I understood it is, once you make over 50 bucks, you'll get your money. Until then, you don't.

Doesn't seem like an all too major problem. I think they just want to save the effort of having to send payments all the time. Less transactions in total.

Or am I way off here?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 11:56 AM
    Yeah I got that email today......kinda sucks for me, as I don't make the $50 threshold/month
    So, you won't get payments at all then?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 11:57 AM
    All,
    This thread moved to the Developers' area for better exposure to... Developers.
    12-12-13 11:59 AM
    So, you won't get payments at all then?

Posted via CB10
    No, I will. Just have to wait until I get $50 worth...which could be awhile. LOL
    12-12-13 12:04 PM
    The way I understood it is, once you make over 50 bucks, you'll get your money. Until then, you don't.

Doesn't seem like an all too major problem. I think they just want to save the effort of having to send payments all the time. Less transactions in total.

Or am I way off here?

Posted via CB10
    You'll get it eventually, once you cross the threshold. The problem is, $50 in Blackberry commerce is a huge threshold for many smaller developers. If you assume that 1/2 of your income comes from BB Commerce transactions (the other half split between bango and Dr), and that roughly 60% of income from an app sale makes it to the developer, you're looking at a possible $160 in purchases before you see a dime from BB Commerce. That's a pretty huge barrier.

Like I said, this is very poor compared to other app stores out there.
    12-12-13 12:13 PM
    Honestly not a big deal. $50 is nothing.

For small developers like me, who might make only $5-$10 a month, it will take a while to get my money, but it's not like I'm
    Going to go hungry if I don't get that $50.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 12:33 PM
    Getting a check for 50 bucks is better than getting 10 checks for 5 bucks haha

Sent from my Z30
    bspence87 and LoganSix like this.
    12-12-13 12:35 PM
    Honestly not a big deal. $50 is nothing.

For small developers like me, who might make only $5-$10 a month, it will take a while to get my money, but it's not like I'm
    Going to go hungry if I don't get that $50.

Posted via CB10
    If all you're doing is banking the money, it's not a big deal.

If you're using it to pay for services monthly, it could be a bigger deal. Again, I'm not opposed to the idea of a threshold, and I've dealt with them in other app stores. But $50 is overkill and not competitive with other markets. Plus the problem is compounded by the 3 different billing methods BB already employs.
    12-12-13 12:42 PM