CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Want to write an app for bb10, droid, ios - advice needed

As the title states... looking to write an app for BB10, Droid, and IOS. What is the best route to go here? I know there is dev stuff out there like phonegap, but a quick look and bb10 is not supported (yet) and their api's are pretty limited. Would native sdk stuff be the best route? This would be my first attempt at something like this, but previous experience and knowledge in other things tells me it won't be all that bad once I get the hang of it. What I am looking for would be the best, quickest, easiest method to go about writing for the above. If possible I would like one base rather than having essentially separate apps for all devices and models within those devices... hope that makes sense.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. I found a few things on the web, but figured what better place to ask than here as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,529 Global Posts

Do you want it to have a native-like look on each system? Or do you want the app to look the same on all 3 platforms?
    CrackBerry User

If it's a simple app, Use Air.

If it's complicated, Use native code separately
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Or use Jquery. (HTML5), its cross-platform
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

No problem at all using html5, jquery, js as I use those on a daily basis. I guess that is where my question comes in... is it possible to write the same base code which would run on all those devices or will I need to use native code and write separate ones for each?

I'm clueless as to how the process starts, goes, and ends with this... anything website / graphic related I'm golden if that makes sense. Just need to be pointed the right direction and I'm confident I'll be able to figure out the rest.

Since this is the first one having the same look would be fine and I'm sure quicker/easier... this is more of a test run to get the feel I guess.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am in the same situation. Any tips that you wish you got when you started

Global Posts
    10,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen_13 View Post
    HTML isn't quite cross platform. You'd need to use something like phonegap for the Android and iOS versions AFAIK, and still need a mac to submit it to the crApple Store (I believe that's how it works).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen_13 View Post
    jquery and jquery mobile are best avoided when making mobile apps. There are well-known, and quite severe, performance problems. (This caused phonegap users lots of trouble.)

As it's not offering much of an advantage (if any) you're better off sticking with unadorned javascript, adding special purpose libraries only when there's an objective advantage.

Global Posts
    10,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by recompile View Post
    jquery and jquery mobile are best avoided when making mobile apps. There are well-known, and quite severe, performance problems. (This caused phonegap users lots of trouble.)

As it's not offering much of an advantage (if any) you're better off sticking with unadorned javascript, adding special purpose libraries only when there's an objective advantage.
    I've never heard anyone else make that claim before, and haven't seen evidence to support it in my own apps.
    Now if you mean WebWorks apps aren't as good as Cascades apps, yes that's true. But IMO, it's only true because BB hasn't poured the same resources into the WebWorks program that they've poured into cascades because they assume that the better developers will all use cascades instead of webworks.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

The benefits of using HTML5 / Web technologies is that it is truly cross platform.

You can use Phone Gap or just use your own "WebView" which is available on all platforms.

As for the commenter above that is complaining about performance there's 2 things to keep in mind.

1.) The Web View on iOS is well known to be slower than the default browser as it isn't given as much cpu/memory. I wish that Apple would increase it but for many non intense games it isn't a major concern.

2.) The performance of an HTML5 app is also dependent on how well it is written. Facebook made a very public bashing of HTML5 when *their* efforts to go down that path failed... yet many balked at their statements and Sencha in particular pointed out that it certainly could be done... in fact they went ahead and made a well performing HTML5 version as proof.

In the end the choice is yours, but be sure to weigh all your options/needs.

Posted via CB10

Well jquery mobile and bbos 5-6-7 I find they don't play nice either. I've build jquery mobile apps that it was regrettable.

You need patience with it. iOS has issues with some functions too.

Transitions, Floating footers and dialog pages are problematic cross platform.

But html5 in general is roughly as fast as native due to how the IS is built on BBRY. But not do much on Android and iOS.

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    10,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by KermEd View Post
    Well jquery mobile and bbos 5-6-7 I find they don't play nice either. I've build jquery mobile apps that it was regrettable.

You need patience with it. iOS has issues with some functions too.

Transitions, Floating footers and dialog pages are problematic cross platform.

But html5 in general is roughly as fast as native due to how the IS is built on BBRY. But not do much on Android and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    Add CSS positioning! BB7 and below absolutely hate if you use absolute or fixed positioning, and it often doesn't work at all (epecially any sort of vertical alignment). By far that's my biggest annoyance with WebWorks for OS7 and below, and personally I rarely if ever will try to make an app for those OSes with WebWorks.

Yeh. It took a lot of tweaks to get it "Right cross platform.

If only I could have gone bbonly and used bbui!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    I've never heard anyone else make that claim before, and haven't seen evidence to support it in my own apps.
    It's pretty common. For example:

Apache Cordova: Who Is Murdering PhoneGap? It's jQuery Mobile

A google search for jquery mobile performance issues will bring up plenty more.

If you use a good profiling tool, you'll be able to easily see the performance problems for yourself.

Considering how little actual benefit the library ultimately offers you, and the well-known performance problems, you're better off just avoiding it altogether. You'll find that in many common cases, the vanilla JS way is not only more efficient, but actually simpler. If you want some special feature, you're likely much better off using a special purpose library.