Hey there,

I know there are a few threads about becoming a developer, but I wanted to start a new one because sometimes what people learn along the way will depend on what they want their apps to do.
    Basically, I want to create an app that alerts you once you've reached a destination (either by being inside a certain radius or passing a line of coordinates). I frequently take a train or a bus where I fall asleep but am terrified that I will miss my stop at the same time (especially important if travelling to new locations and unsure what time you'll get there so you can't just set a regular alarm).
    There's a current app that is supposed to do this, but it works poorly if at all and it's never worked properly in OS 7 as far as I can tell.

I don't have all the time in the world, but I've always wanted to develop a blackberry app, so I'm willing to learn, no matter how slow of a pace. While I don't have any real coding experience, I'm quick to pick up on new things especially on the computer. I.E. self-taught some complicated Excel VBA coding

So I was on the developer.blackberry.com and was looking into learning to code for BB 10, and it asked me what platform I want to go into.

So my question is this: For this specific type of app, what platform should I use to code for a BB10 app and what resources would be useful to learn about that specific coding and also what resources would be useful to learn about integrating and using the map which is important in my desired app.

Hopefully as I learn and develop my first app, I will become comfortable enough to tackle some of my other ideas as well for BB.

Thanks for any help and advice,
    Richard
    11-15-12 08:30 AM
    The biggest thing is you should take a look at the sample app code (Cascades / WebWorks / Air / Android) to see which one you feel you could pick up easier.

I would personally not go with Air or Android.
    KermEd likes this.
    11-15-12 10:03 AM
    I feel like I would pick up webworks faster.

I guess I'll just start working through the simple hello world sample for webworks and go from there.
    11-16-12 01:03 AM
    Go for WebWorks. Build it using BBui.

This will be compatible with bbos 6/7, playbook and the bb10 phones (you need to repack the bb10 app later when the new sdk is out).

Look up the bbui kitchen sink for a headstart!

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    11-16-12 10:00 PM
    Hey everyone,

I have a really great app that I am going to finish designing and well somehow the Webworks SDK download file is Not downloading. It shows a pop up window stating that : This application has Unexpectedly Quit. Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)
    This is my first time creating a mobile app and when presenting the wireframes in Class, I received a Lot of great feedback and I want to patent it ASAP.
    So I don't understand why it is not downloading for me.
    I am using Windows 8.
    11-20-12 07:41 PM
    Thanks Ed!

@Calicocat, you may want to start a new thread, you will probably get more help that way.
    11-25-12 08:05 PM
    Hey everyone,

I have a really great app that I am going to finish designing and well somehow the Webworks SDK download file is Not downloading. It shows a pop up window stating that : This application has Unexpectedly Quit. Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)
    This is my first time creating a mobile app and when presenting the wireframes in Class, I received a Lot of great feedback and I want to patent it ASAP.
    So I don't understand why it is not downloading for me.
    I am using Windows 8.
    The problem is that windows 8 is not officially supported yet, so you could end up with problems. Sorry I can't help I am a Cascades Dev. If you start your own thread about the problem you are having, maybe another WebWorks Dev would be able to help
    Last edited by big bb; 12-02-12 at 09:19 PM.
    11-26-12 07:22 AM
    The problem is that windows 8 is not officially supported yet, so you could end up with problems. Sorry I help I am a Cascades Dev. If you start your own thread about the problem you are having, maybe another WebWorks Dev would be able to help
    Yeah that is what I was afraid of...darn.

Thanks big bb.
    12-01-12 02:05 AM
    Very nice thread
    12-01-12 02:14 AM