Read this

https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...pps/index.html

now you know about headless apps, and you can stop asking
    campbecw likes this.
    08-14-13 08:23 PM
    For those always asking about Headless Apps-headless_applications_architecture.png

This is a good pic for reference IMO
    08-14-13 08:29 PM
    Apps also need to be approved by BlackBerry

Posted via my Dev B wielding 10.2.0.1047 | BerryLeaks Co-founder |
    08-14-13 09:58 PM
    Apps also need to be approved by BlackBerry

Posted via my Dev B wielding 10.2.0.1047 | BerryLeaks Co-founder |
    I thought that was only for always-on headless apps, and not the ones that use invocation?

I was in the jam presentation yesterday. It really seems like they rushed this whole headless thing...but it's a start at least.
    08-15-13 11:30 AM
    I thought that was only for always-on headless apps, and not the ones that use invocation?

I was in the jam presentation yesterday. It really seems like they rushed this whole headless thing...but it's a start at least.
    Apps can technically be headless already via push notifications/invocations, so true headless, ones actually running in the background 100% of the time, need authorization. This is the same for apps wanting integration into the HUB
    08-15-13 02:48 PM
    Sorry, I meant headless apps that are invoked by the new triggers don't need special approval.

The triggers are what disappointed me. They are a super efficient way to handle background processing, and they seem to have really dropped the ball on them. There are only 3 new triggers, and none of them are going to make an app like BeBuzz be able to run headless. It will have to be one of those "always on" apps, which will unfortunately affect battery life a lot more than an app controlled by triggers. Even something simpler, like a wallpaper changing app will need to be always on in order to function as headless.

I wasn't the only one let down by this either, judging by the chatter during the presentation. I wonder if they just ran out of time...
    08-15-13 03:08 PM
    For headless app that run 100 percent of time in the background must have approval by BlackBerry because one can write a snooping headless app. This is an assurance.
    08-15-13 03:12 PM
    For headless app that run 100 percent of time in the background must have approval by BlackBerry because one can write a snooping headless app. This is an assurance.
    Not really...the app can't have access to anything that it normally wouldn't have access to. Having approval will likely have a lot to do with resource usage and ensuring a good user experience.
    08-15-13 03:14 PM
    I'm glad to see support for entering and exiting a geofenced location. This is good for automatically turning ON|OFF WIFI receiver.
    08-15-13 03:14 PM
    The last paragraph does specifies that headless application that runs in the background must get the user's permission via adding _sys_run_headless system permission. Okay I see.
    Not really...the app can't have access to anything that it normally wouldn't have access to. Having approval will likely have a lot to do with resource usage and ensuring a good user experience.
    08-15-13 03:22 PM
    Speaking of triggers, I'm surprised not seeing a trigger by date and time. This would be useful for a headless app that automatically send scheduled emails, BBM messages, or SMS messages. I think BBOS 7 or less supports such trigger. Am I right?

Sorry, I meant headless apps that are invoked by the new triggers don't need special approval.

The triggers are what disappointed me. They are a super efficient way to handle background processing, and they seem to have really dropped the ball on them. There are only 3 new triggers, and none of them are going to make an app like BeBuzz be able to run headless. It will have to be one of those "always on" apps, which will unfortunately affect battery life a lot more than an app controlled by triggers. Even something simpler, like a wallpaper changing app will need to be always on in order to function as headless.

I wasn't the only one let down by this either, judging by the chatter during the presentation. I wonder if they just ran out of time...
    08-15-13 03:27 PM
    Speaking of triggers, I'm surprised not seeing a trigger by date and time. This would be useful for a headless app that automatically send scheduled emails, BBM messages, or SMS messages. I think BBOS 7 or less supports such trigger. Am I right?
    That was the number one complaint I heard about the lack of triggers. Everyone wanted a time trigger.
    08-15-13 03:29 PM