I wish to start developing for blackberry but I am new to programming in java. Does anyone know a good site that will teach me in easy lessons. Almost like a Java Programming For dummies lol
    09-07-11 08:25 PM
    Anyone know?
    09-08-11 06:31 PM
    Let me google that for you

Just browse around. You'll find great tutorials all over the place from super-novice, to somewhat intermediate, to advanced.
    09-12-11 06:55 PM
    Also, just so that you know, once you have basic java (you know the basic structure of the language and can easily write a "hello world" type application with math and variables, etc.) something I found useful is the book "BlackBerry Application Development for Dummies" (sorry, but the "for dummies" reference in your post made me think of this). This will get you a leg up so that you can learn from the developer forums (supportforums.blackberry.com or here on crackberry) and other documentation available by doing a search on the blackberry website. I wouldn't reccommend getting into the advanced methods of java, since they are replaced with often similar but never the same rim methods. In this whole article I've been assuming you've had previous programming experience, but if you haven't then DO NOT START WITH JAVA!!! Start with some variation of Basic (perhaps the PlayBook's basic app?) to get a feel for the logic or lack thereof of programming. Hopefully this helps you get on your way to becoming the next big BlackBerry developer, and remember that most of these skills should be transferrable for next year when QNX comes out and the NDKs are C++, since C++ and Java have similar syntaxes, but still keep in mind before learning a whole new language that you'll probably have to learn a new one for the QNX phones.

Sorry for taking so long to say what I have to say. Hopefully at least some of it was helpful.
    10-07-11 07:05 PM
    Also, just so that you know, once you have basic java (you know the basic structure of the language and can easily write a "hello world" type application with math and variables, etc.) something I found useful is the book "BlackBerry Application Development for Dummies" (sorry, but the "for dummies" reference in your post made me think of this). This will get you a leg up so that you can learn from the developer forums (supportforums.blackberry.com or here on crackberry) and other documentation available by doing a search on the blackberry website. I wouldn't reccommend getting into the advanced methods of java, since they are replaced with often similar but never the same rim methods. In this whole article I've been assuming you've had previous programming experience, but if you haven't then DO NOT START WITH JAVA!!! Start with some variation of Basic (perhaps the PlayBook's basic app?) to get a feel for the logic or lack thereof of programming. Hopefully this helps you get on your way to becoming the next big BlackBerry developer, and remember that most of these skills should be transferrable for next year when QNX comes out and the NDKs are C++, since C++ and Java have similar syntaxes, but still keep in mind before learning a whole new language that you'll probably have to learn a new one for the QNX phones.

Sorry for taking so long to say what I have to say. Hopefully at least some of it was helpful.
    Thank you for replying (even if it late). I actually purchased that book about 3 weeks ago and it sorta made my head hurt lol. I have had some experience with programming before but only basic html and creating simple programs for my calculator. I have looked into html5 recently. What do you think about that? Worth learning?

But still thanks for replying anyways...luckily I was still subscribed to this thread.
    10-07-11 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD