Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    286F996E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Reverse Lookup Returns

Okay, I had started an app a long time ago (Last spring iirc).

I got really busy with a new job and now I have a bit of time to put back into it.

Description:
    App that uses 411.ca + 411.info to reverse lookup a phone number as soon as the phone starts ringing (WiFi or 3G connection required). (Also will do it for outgoing calls, for testing purposes).

NO Information is sent to me or anyone else. The only URL's used are 411.ca and 411.info. The app will request permission to use the phone since it displays the name+address on the phone screen.

This is VERY early release - Barely works. What I would like to do is get any feedback/ suggestions and whenever I have free time I will work on it.

Currently it only tries 411.ca/411.info based on the area code. Those sites don't have cell numbers, so try calling a best buy or something to see if the app is working.

Devices:
    I have tested on:
    Storm 9550 with Wifi on a EDGE network. - WORKS
    Bold 9700 with wifi/3G - WORKS
    9800 Torch - Does not work yet.

It requires OS 5. It may not work on corporate devices that prevent the app from inserting text onto the call screen.

Also - I will not charge for this app at all. If it becomes successful I can publish it on appworld for free.

Download OTA:
    Alpha version, set for WIFI connection right now. Will not work on all devices, may crash device etc.

WhoIsCalling.jad

Last edited by cmolson; 11-05-2010 at 07:12 PM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    286F996E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Nobody seems that interested anymore. Are there any existing apps that do this for free?

I know poynt can do lookups after you miss or hangup on a call, but this does it while the phone is ringing so you can still answer it if you find out it is from someone worth answering.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    PIN
    just ask

By some chance will this work on the Bold with OS 6??
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    286F996E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by bklyneddie View Post
    By some chance will this work on the Bold with OS 6??
    Not yet, there is a slight difference between the way you display stuff to the screen. I will try and have it working for OS6 this weekend though.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    PIN
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by cmolson View Post
    Not yet, there is a slight difference between the way you display stuff to the screen. I will try and have it working for OS6 this weekend though.
    Ok thanks I'll keep a watch for it.
    Also I'm on Sprint which is CDMA so I'm wondering
    if it would still work. Seems you can't do two things
    at the same time on CDMA.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'll watch for the O/S 6 version. I think this will be really handy. Thanks for your work.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    286F996E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I have a version for OS6 only to try:

To set connection type (MDS,TCP/IP,BIS,WIFI)
    Go to options -> third party options -> Who Is Calling ?

I find the BIS setting works for me..

To test try calling a number that is at 411.ca (i test with futureshop or something)

Screen layout is not ideal, it cuts off the bottom address field. Just proof of concept for OS 6 support.

Next release of OS5 will also contain the options menu to change connection types.

Tested on Torch 9800
    My 9700 is having issues with it (with OS6) so it probably won't work on it yet (maybe the fields are displayed too low or something since the screen is shorter than the 9800)

OTA: WhoIsCalling OTA

edit: Definitely does not work on 9700, seems to work on my 9800. 9700 just displays nothing, it is a layout issue on the smaller screen.
    Last edited by cmolson; 11-05-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    eapple EXPress

Bump

Just found this thread and was curious to know if there's been any progress. This app sounds very useful and I would love to have it but I'm a little worried about the warning. Is this something you're willing to further develop?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have a Bold 9900 with OS 7.1, any idea if this app will work?
    CrackBerry User

Z10?

Posted via Z10