Hi !

I have an old BB Curve 9300 and I would like to re-use it not as a phone but as a connected sensor, for instance to detect the presence of water and send a notification to a server over Wifi. I know that there are plenty of simple solutions using Arduino board or ESP8266 but I wanted to try tweaking a bit this phone as it is still functional.

To do the minimum effort and avoid soldering, I wanted to use the external headphone button (on the headphone cord) to trigger this action. The sensor trigerring would just mimic the button being pressed down. Unfortunately, unlike the 2 other HW buttons for which user can select a custom action (for instance opening a URL in the browser or opening an app), it does not seem to be possible to select the action for the headphone button : it will always open the voice dialing app. So here is my question : Do you see a simple way to hook this button event and perform a custom action ? Is there a quick and dirty way to tweak the OS so that it does not open the voice dialing app but a custom app by modifying config files or replacing voice dialing app library ?

Thank you for your help !

Lionel
    09-13-16 06:09 PM