Hello,

My name is Peter Johnson and I am deaf. I've used a Blackberry phone since the 6210 as have many of my deaf friends. Why? For mobile communication. While we could not use the phone portion of our devices, we could use the email to communicate with friends and family. No longer were we tethered to clunky TTY devices to communicate - we could do it through email on the go!

Fast forward to the development of downloaded apps and my Bold became a fantastic device! Hamilton relay (and Sprint) had an app that called CapTel that translated a speaker's words to text via a relay service. With these relay apps we could phone and talk to hearing folk on our mobile phones!

Last year I upped to BlackBerry OS 10 and the Q10. While I like the OS there is one thing that drives me insane - there is no relay app! There is one for Android (downloaded it but will not work) and the iPhone. Over the past few years my deaf friends have dumped BlackBerry for these devices for the relay app and those that initially switched to OS 10 have jumped ship because BlackBerry fails to offer this app for OS 10.

We loved BlackBerry devices because the physical keyboard was always better than the virtual one and BB's email services are 2nd to none but now we feel we've been abandoned.

I'm very excited about the upcoming Passport! It would be the best and ultimately perfect platform for these types of relay apps. But without them I don't know if I will invest in that or move to an android device (ie. Sony Ultra) so I can have phone access.

Why can't we get a relay app for BlackBerry OS 10?

Posted via CB10
    LibertyPhone and rhitdoph like this.
    08-26-14 11:45 AM
    Try updating to 10.3.0.700 or 10.3.0.1520 and see if that relay android app works. The 10.3 runtime is a huge improvement. Good luck
    08-26-14 03:08 PM
    Ntouch mobile works fine on 10.3.1
    Last edited by LibertyPhone; 11-25-14 at 07:18 AM.
    11-13-14 07:01 AM
    Why can't we get a relay app for BlackBerry OS 10?
    It would be a question to put to the relay services.
    rhitdoph likes this.
    11-17-14 01:23 PM
    Sprint IP Mobile app works fine as well

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:40 AM