Hi All,
    I am developing an application for blackberry.
    In that I need to view MS-Office or pdf files which will come from my own server.
    All I need is: a GUI kind of thing to view the files comes from server in device.

I gone through Documents TO GO, RepliGo. But, they didn't provide any API to customise our needs and more over I need to install it saparately in device

My application's flow is like:
    1. Connects to server through HttpConnection and request a specific file .
    2. server will give file as a response.
    3. viewer will opens the file.

If any commercial version is available then I am ready to purchase.

NOTE: This should be done without the use of BES/BIS

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    krishna
    Last edited by ramakrishnat; 01-22-09 at 06:07 AM.
    01-22-09 06:04 AM
    Krishna,

In that I need to view MS-Office or pdf files which will come from my own server.
    All I need is: a GUI kind of thing to view the files comes from server in device.
    A "GUI kind of thing", would be a program which displays the proprietary Microsoft Office file formats, and a bit more complex than I think you realize.

I gone through Documents TO GO, RepliGo. But, they didn't provide any API to customise our needs and more over I need to install it saparately in device
    They provide no API because it is closed-source proprietary software. Apparently you need to do more than open and view the documents, but you don't say what, and not sure what you mean by "install it separately in device" (sic). Install what?

My application's flow is like:
    1. Connects to server through HttpConnection and request a specific file .
    2. server will give file as a response.
    3. viewer will opens the file.
    To do the above, you will need to write your own code to read and display MS's proprietary formats. Good luck with that one.

If any commercial version is available then I am ready to purchase.
    Documents to go does exactly this... opens Office docs, so what you need to do is have your user grab the docs from your server, and use that to open/view them.

NOTE: This should be done without the use of BES/BIS
    You are either tied to a connection through your Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) if you are part of a corporate network at work, or to RIM's BIS server through your data carrier (like AT&T).

If you have no data connection (no BES or BIS) then unless you are on a Wifi capable device AND at a Wifi hotspot you will have no data connection.
    01-22-09 07:37 PM
    You are either tied to a connection through your Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) if you are part of a corporate network at work, or to RIM's BIS server through your data carrier (like AT&T).

If you have no data connection (no BES or BIS) then unless you are on a Wifi capable device AND at a Wifi hotspot you will have no data connection.
    The service books often contain the APN for direct IP connection from the device, and even WAP/WAP2 settings which can be used to proxy via the carrier, neither of which use BIS or BES. Since OS 4.0 you haven't needed a BIS or BES data plan, but having one makes life easier since you don't need a 3rd party browser, however Opera Mini won't use BIS and works fine without a BIS plan, 3rd party email app gmail app does like wise, probably yahoo too, but the built in apps are nicer imho.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-22-09 at 08:05 PM.
    01-22-09 08:03 PM
    Hello Patrick,
    Thanks for your response.

I am looking for a programmatic access to build custom document solutions.
    In my application the attachment files comes from my web server (Tomcat). So, I am looking for a Viewer to view these streams and I want this viewer has to be installed as part of my application.

Documents to go does exactly this... opens Office docs, so what you need to do is have your user grab the docs from your server, and use that to open/view them.

Is there any posibility to install these products as part of my application
    01-23-09 02:14 AM
    I am looking for a programmatic access to build custom document solutions.
    In my application the attachment files comes from my web server (Tomcat). So, I am looking for a Viewer to view these streams and I want this viewer has to be installed as part of my application.
    Why not send the data + layout as html, and use the browser field to display it?

Might not be 100% what you were looking for, but I doubt you will find any libraries that do what you are looking for.
    01-23-09 04:21 AM
    Thanks delta_foxtrot2

Can you please give an example for to view data + Layout as HTML in a browser field.

Is there any possibility to use the attachmentservice libraries in our custom applications.

Thanks in advance
    01-27-09 01:20 AM
    Is "Documents TO GO" comes with the Blackberry by default ?
    11-03-09 03:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD