Mods: please move this if this is not the appropriate forum

I thought it would be best to get some developers attention. For the life of me (a huge blackberry loyalist) I cannot figure out why I do not see any apps like these on the blackberry. Apple has them. So does Android for the most part.

* Wireless Printing app. Should support wi-fi/ethernet printers along with DLNA/uPnP discovery. Similar to Airprint or a host of other apps available on the iPhone that can discover most modern printers on the local subnet (over the wi-fi connection). And no, you should not have to install some software on your PC or server or something else (If only Remote Print by ChocolateChunkApps could find DLNA/uPnP printers instead of having to have your PC turned on with their software running in the taskbar....). The whole point is to print directly to the printer. There are at least 2 apps for the iPhone that can do this. And being a lot of people use blackberry for business, who wouldn't want to print emails, docs, photos, whatever from their blackberry? This should be huge. Obviously would require wi-fi enabled on the blackberry.

* Photo upload/backup app. Allow user to backup/upload photos/music/videos/whatever to their local media server using either FTP or SMB (shared folders). Media Backup by ChocolateChunkApps nearly has this right, but they still require some software to run in the taskbar on your server for it to work.... if only it used FTP or SMB instead of its own proprietary protocol. How awesome would it be if the app detected when your blackberry connected to a certain wi-fi profile (such as home) and if it's been more than x hours since the last backup/upload, the app will attempt to access your media server and upload new photos/videos/etc from your blackberry?

* Media Player and Controller app. Full DLNA client. Stream video, photos, or music from your DLNA-compliant home media server. Option to save the content locally to take with you. Ability to push video/photos/music stored on your blackberry to a DLNA compatible renderer (e.g. newer TV that supports DNLA). "Hey family, check out this photo I took today" - boom, beam it to the TV. Finally makes accessing your huge music or video library sitting on your home media server easy and wireless. No more sitting at your PC or laptop, plugging in your blackberry, copying over the music you want for the next week or so, blah blah. Instead, sit on your couch, load up this app, connect to your server, select the music you want, save, go. Or listen/watch right there.

I wish I could write code. The thought of these apps gives me e-wood. Would blow away my friends on the Apple bandwagon.
    Last edited by rkneeshaw; 01-04-11 at 04:24 PM.
    01-04-11 03:45 PM
    The second one sounds easy enough, maybe you should start a bounty for it.
    02-12-11 03:53 PM
    02-12-11 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD