Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SCrid2000
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Language confusion. Help please

Hi everyone,
    I have a masters project upcoming and I have to create a basic app within 3 months. The topic was to create for android, however I changed it to blackberry 10 as I wanna develop for it.

I recently went through the developers website and I see alot of options to go with! And I am confused what way to go, so some suggestions or help would be of great help.

The functionality of the app is very simple, the user must be able to select a photo or click one and then paint an area which they could blur out to blur the background like. Maybe using a slider. So can someone suggest a language which would be easier and better to achieve this functionality?

Thanks alot
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

nobody? please help
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I would suggest Cascades as it is based on Qt and Qml. I think it should do as long as you like c++. Qml is a separate thing but is easy enough.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    irfanintekhab (03-31-2013) 

Global Posts
    10,384 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

This would be comparatively easy to do with HTML5 Canvas (WebWorks) and perhaps hammer.js to detect the click location.
    How much help are you allowed to have (buy? ) for this project?
    TBH I think I have about 70% of the code you'd want to use written (including saving the modified image thanks to Erik Oros' CanvasToBlob Github sample) if I Frankenstein it from some of my other apps.

I'm a flash dev. So I'd use AS3. But html5 is the better way.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    This would be comparatively easy to do with HTML5 Canvas (WebWorks) and perhaps hammer.js to detect the click location.
    How much help are you allowed to have (buy? ) for this project?
    TBH I think I have about 70% of the code you'd want to use written (including saving the modified image thanks to Erik Oros' CanvasToBlob Github sample) if I Frankenstein it from some of my other apps.
    hahhahah thanks for the info, they wont really check how much help i take. what is the price?

Global Posts
    10,384 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by irfanintekhab View Post
    hahhahah thanks for the info, they wont really check how much help i take. what is the price?
    Information is free but if it comes to the deadline and you need more substantive help, let me know.
    If you don't have a basic understanding of JavaScript and HTML, first you'll want to get that (shouldn't take too long to obtain a sufficiently rudimentary knowledge). Two good resources are JavaScript Tutorial and Learn to code | Codecademy. You'll also need to install the WebWorks SDK from BlackBerry Developer, and I highly recommend Tim Windsor's Ant Build script WebWorks Ant Build Script «BlackBerry Developer Blog.
    Second, you'll want this information on Canvas: HTML canvas drawImage() Method (hint: check the try it yourself editor, duplicate the ctx.drawImage(img,10,10); line, and modify the coordinates (those will be variables later)).
    Next, you'll want to check out hammer.js. There's a sample at Hammer.js. It can get you the location of a touch, which is what I would use to insert a face blur.
    Once you have all that down, for saving you'll want to check out https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-W...asToFilesystem.
    Since you're a masters student, I'm confident those resources will be enough to get you going.
    Thanked by 2:
    irfanintekhab (04-01-2013),  KermEd (03-31-2013) 
    irfanintekhab likes this.

You can't go wrong with help from Shane and HTML5

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    SCrid2000 (03-31-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Thank you sooooooo much Shane! I didn't know this community could be so helpful I do have knowledge about html and javascript as I had to use them for a website. But website is fairly simple and I didn't know html could be used for such functioning. Thank you so much again all that goes in my notebook for further reference

Global Posts
    10,384 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

I'll post tomorrow some BlackBerry specific code that will let you use the native file browser to import an image into a canvas element if you're up to finding the code to blur faces out where you touch them.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    I'll post tomorrow some BlackBerry specific code that will let you use the native file browser to import an image into a canvas element if you're up to finding the code to blur faces out where you touch them.
    Thank you so much will be waiting. Not exactly faces, I actually wanted to paint an area on the photo which will then blur.

Global Posts
    10,384 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by irfanintekhab View Post
    Thank you so much will be waiting. Not exactly faces, I actually wanted to paint an area on the photo which will then blur.
    Ok, this function will allow you to use the native file picker to import an image to canvas although you'll need to create the config and such with the appropriate permissions. http://developer.blackberry.com can help with that if you need it.
    Load Image to Canvas - Pastebin.com
    You'll then want to use something like this to add the blur: HTML5 Canvas Mouse Coordinates Tutorial
    Thanked by:
    irfanintekhab (06-20-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

thank you shane, ill see how it works