I've been making "regular" websites for quite a while now, but now I'd like to know how to make sites that are mobile-friendly.

Is it just a matter of making the page the correct resolution (240x160), making things fit in that space, and not having a ton of graphics, or is there more to it?

And how do you make a page detect when a mobile device hits it? For example, I have a domain Domain Names, Shared Web Hosting and Site Design Tools - MyDomain and when a mobile device visits it, I want it to automatically redirect to Domain Names, Shared Web Hosting and Site Design Tools - MyDomain or something like that.

Any suggestions to get me started?
    11-30-08 04:47 PM
    When you're dealing with "smarter" mobile devices that have decent HTML support (such as BlackBerry devices), it's simply optimizing the site for the limited screen size, data connectivity and processing power.

As for detecting a mobile device, you'll have to rely on the UA (user agent). I believe that BlackBerry devices will put their device model, as well as screen resolution into their UA. At that point, it'd be a simple conditional and a redirect.

Hope this helps!
    11-30-08 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD