'ello there - the name's Yuutousei and I was hoping for some help.
    I'm not new to Java (although I'm a bit rusty - I blame the fact that I was ahead of my course pretty much the whole year), but I want to try my hand at making an app that does very specific things, many of which I don't know how to do.

• Requires registration onto a site (a forum which hasn't been made yet - and I'm not sure what kind of forum would work) - this is mostly so people can turn 'off' the app so they aren't always being noticed
    • The app will track the user's whereabouts
    • When another app user is within a certain area (say, 5 mi radius) of the user, the BB will vibrate and play a certain ringtone
    • A message will also pop up, saying something (I think I can code this - I found a Hello World tutorial that ought to work ._.)
    • When the user DLs the app, a ringtone is also DLed with it
    • The vibrate/ringtone combo can be changed through the app or through sound settings, which ever is easier
    • The app will put a 'mark' on wherever another app user is found on a map that a user can view at any time
    • The map will show a dot (or some other marker) that can be clicked to view the username of the person and any other data that person makes known

I want it to work on all Blackberry types, but if I could get it to work on my curve for now, I'd be good xD

I recently read something that sparked this idea, so I want to try it out. I don't think I'll get it done before I move onto my MacBook Pro, but I at least want some sort of psuedo-code going.
    08-27-09 09:15 PM
    Some of this should be doable, but keep in mind that for a location based service, you are limited to how GPS works, assistance or not, which means that it requires open sky to work best (assistance can help with that for obscured sky, such as in cities), and, for a city environment, say, it is not guaranteed to maintain stable tracking if you put it in your pocket, walk around, and then go into a building.

Learn about GPS and it's characteristics, build a simple tracking app (trivial), and understand how it behaves first before you could consider your idea feasible.
    08-27-09 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD