is there no thread about game dev ?
    05-28-13 04:37 AM
    is there no thread about game dev ?
    Nope. Though I have to ask: Why do you think a subcategory is necessary? The developers lounge is pretty quiet, it's not like anyone interested in game dev related topics would miss your posts.
    05-28-13 05:32 AM
    Nope. Though I have to ask: Why do you think a subcategory is necessary? The developers lounge is pretty quiet, it's not like anyone interested in game dev related topics would miss your posts.
    well i think its quite important since gaming is also important factor that makes people interested in smartphone for example ios or android
    their os have a lot of apps in their own store and i think half or less from total of their apps is game..
    it'll be great though if we also have a lot of native games instead of some port games..
    05-28-13 08:41 AM
    Well most "high quality" games aren't written in anything that is exclusive to BB10 so there isn't much need for specific topics here. And most questions would be beyond the scope of the CB forums, meaning you are better of asking in their main forum such as Unity, Cocos2dx, Box2d, etc... But if you have questions/comments on more "basic" games that would be written in Cascades, Webworks, etc feel free to start your own thread...

Note: I have created a few puzzle games for BB10 so I could possibly help answer some questions.
    05-28-13 09:13 AM
    Well most "high quality" games aren't written in anything that is exclusive to BB10 so there isn't much need for specific topics here. And most questions would be beyond the scope of the CB forums, meaning you are better of asking in their main forum such as Unity, Cocos2dx, Box2d, etc... But if you have questions/comments on more "basic" games that would be written in Cascades, Webworks, etc feel free to start your own thread...

Note: I have created a few puzzle games for BB10 so I could possibly help answer some questions.
    it will be nice if you can guide me in making games for bb 10
    i started this thread also because i want to try making a simple game for bb 10 but i dont know where to start
    i already have the sdk but im just confused where to begin..
    is there a free game engine on bb 10 ? do you use game engine in your game ??
    anyway where do i have to begin in making games on bb 10 ?
    if u could help me i would appreciate it very much..
    05-28-13 10:38 AM
    Yes there are free game engines, no I haven't got a chance to use them. I have made games that don't require engines. We (Ebscer and I) did a session on game development using Cascades at Jam: https://bblive.blackberryconferences...ESSION_ID=2008 This session assumes you know a good deal about Cascades and JavaScript. Also in this session Suavek talks a bit about using Cocos2dx (a free gaming engine).

If you need more of an intro to Cascades maybe check out my blog/website (links in signature) and developer.blackberry.com/cascades
    05-28-13 02:46 PM
    In my opinion games are one of the important entities that drive the popularity of mobile OS platform. BB ought to emphasize gaming to compete with the likes of android and IOS.
    05-29-13 02:34 AM
    it will be nice if you can guide me in making games for bb 10
    i started this thread also because i want to try making a simple game for bb 10 but i dont know where to start
    i already have the sdk but im just confused where to begin..
    is there a free game engine on bb 10 ? do you use game engine in your game ??
    anyway where do i have to begin in making games on bb 10 ?
    if u could help me i would appreciate it very much..
    I build my games from scratch as well.

You usually want to start on some small apps to build up skills. Learn each component that's relevant to a game.

It's not simple to learn over night - just remember there are degrees on this in universities for a reason. It's a lot to learn.

But it depends on what you want to do and how you want to code.

If you want to learn AIR and build in flash, I can help you along Jo problems. If you want html5 you need to find scrid2000. Brian for cascades. And there are many others who can help as well.

I like to build my own game engine and reuse it. But if you go the HTML5 route and work in WebWorks there are kits you can use. Same with all languages really.

But start with a small one like X and O's.

You need assets. Sounds. Music. Graphics.

A start menu
    A high score system
    A share button
    A new game button

You need to make a save to file and load to file.

If you want to avoid code, join the Unity beta. No documentation right now but very simple to use. Options abound!

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 08:50 PM
    Also. My advice. Always build a checklist of to do items. Makes it easier to focus. And add bugs and fixes to the list as you go.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 08:50 PM
    Also. My advice. Always build a checklist of to do items. Makes it easier to focus. And add bugs and fixes to the list as you go.

Posted via CB10
    +1

And for the love of all that is holy, avoid scope and feature creep!
    KermEd likes this.
    05-31-13 12:12 PM
    I build my games from scratch as well.

You usually want to start on some small apps to build up skills. Learn each component that's relevant to a game.

It's not simple to learn over night - just remember there are degrees on this in universities for a reason. It's a lot to learn.

But it depends on what you want to do and how you want to code.

If you want to learn AIR and build in flash, I can help you along Jo problems. If you want html5 you need to find scrid2000. Brian for cascades. And there are many others who can help as well.

I like to build my own game engine and reuse it. But if you go the HTML5 route and work in WebWorks there are kits you can use. Same with all languages really.

But start with a small one like X and O's.

You need assets. Sounds. Music. Graphics.

A start menu
    A high score system
    A share button
    A new game button

You need to make a save to file and load to file.

If you want to avoid code, join the Unity beta. No documentation right now but very simple to use. Options abound!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the advice. Now I feel like I know where to start.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 09:00 PM