I am a consumer user but posting this in the Developers Forum since I think you guys are probably the only ones who can answer my questions and help me. Thanks in advance!

Details:
    PCCW (Hong Kong based carrier) Customer
    Bold 9000
    Unlimited Data Plan. PCCW offers 3G and 2G
    According to the fine print (emphasized) on the PCCW unlimited plan, unlimited usage refers to email and Internet browsing through the standard Internet Browser. WAP Browser usage would not be considered unlimited. I don�t use Opera but would assume it is also not considered unlimited.

*Are carriers allowed to force third-party applications to run on 2G or GPRS and not 3G? My Bold came with a range of third party applications preinstalled by PCCW (not Blackberry) such as NowTV (basically CNN, Bloomberg TV, CNBC). I define third party applications as ones that normally do not come with a Blackberry device. Facebook I would not consider as 3rd party.

*It seems most of the third party applications that came with the handest run on GPRS so PCCW charges for usage. I can consider that fair as they provided the application and have some sort of arrangement with the owners (i.e. CNN or CNBC) of the content.

*In HK, one usually pays full price up front for the device but is credited back monthly based on the data package purchased. I consider this purchase of the device and it is basically unlocked only running with a PCCW BB SIM card.

*I use Bloomberg Anywhere, which is a third party application I pay for on my own. It was NOT provided or preinstalled by PCCW. It seems PCCW forces this to run on 2G. Is this considered fair, especially if I pay Bloomberg for the content and I own the handset? I think not. Can someone chime in?

*Also strangely, my device will not run third party applications on WIFI. Is this by design on the part of PCCW or Research in Motion? Can they legally do this?
    I deactivated both 3G and 2G on my device and enabled WIFI. Tried watching CNN and I get a message that reads radio off, cannot access. Based on the above, this seems fair.

I try this with a third party application preinstalled by PCCW which serves financial stock quotes. Same message about radio off, cannot access. This is fair.

I try to access my self installed Bloomberg Anywhere application which I pay Bloomberg for and I get the same message about radio off, cannot access. This seems unfair and illegal. PCCW seems to be forcing me to pay for access to an application where payment for content is a transaction between myself and Bloomberg. Moreover, it is a device which I own. So they are preventing me from using the device but I can use the device (and the program which I license through someone else) by forcing me to run it on their network. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IN MY OPINION.

*In my Bloomberg Anywhere software there is a settings tab for �routing.� The options are 1) Automatic 2) BIS-B 3) Direct (TCP) and 4) Direct (WAP). According to Bloomberg technical support, their should be a 5th setting for WI-FI. After reinstallation, making sure I have the latest upgrade, and also checking application permissions to make sure WIFI is allowed, I still cannot use Bloomberg Anywhere on WIFI. What do each of the four above mean? PCCW tech support stated that if I set routing to �Automatic� the data would transmit as if it were email and there would be no charge. Is this technically true?

I'm new here and cant post the URL to Bloomberg Anywhere for BB. But you can search for it on Google if it might help you. You wont be able run it though without a license.
    01-08-09 07:20 AM
    [quote=SCFIGHTON;1362563]I am a consumer user but posting this in the Developers Forum since I think you guys are probably the only ones who can answer my questions and help me. Thanks in advance!

Details:
    PCCW (Hong Kong based carrier) Customer
    Bold 9000
    Unlimited Data Plan. PCCW offers 3G and 2G
    According to the fine print (emphasized) on the PCCW unlimited plan, unlimited usage refers to email and Internet browsing through the standard Internet Browser. WAP Browser usage would not be considered unlimited. I don’t use Opera but would assume it is also not considered unlimited. Unlimited Internet usage would include any of the apps you list below including Bloomberg. OperaMini should also be included in this but you should check by testing (just install the appp and uses it and then remove it). Then you should check your billl ate the end of the month.

*Are carriers allowed to force third-party applications to run on 2G or GPRS and not 3G? My Bold came with a range of third party applications preinstalled by PCCW (not Blackberry) such as NowTV (basically CNN, Bloomberg TV, CNBC). I define third party applications as ones that normally do not come with a Blackberry device. Facebook I would not consider as 3rd party. Carriers do whatever they can get away with pushing apps or launchers to you is just a pain and I have detailed some ways of removing these below.

*It seems most of the third party applications that came with the handest run on GPRS so PCCW charges for usage. I can consider that fair as they provided the application and have some sort of arrangement with the owners (i.e. CNN or CNBC) of the content. These are mostly not true applications. Rather the are just launchers that take you to websites. These launchers cannot be completely removed from the phone as they are sent via Service Books. You can Hide any icon that you do not wish to see by hoverng on the icon and pressing Menu and selcting Hide. If you Service Books are resent, the icons will reappear. An application may be removed from the phone by going to Options, Advanced Option, Applications and crolling down to the offending app, pressing Menu and slelecting Delete.

*In HK, one usually pays full price up front for the device but is credited back monthly based on the data package purchased. I consider this purchase of the device and it is basically unlocked only running with a PCCW BB SIM card. You may check to see if the phone is SIM card unlocked by going to Options, Advamced Options, SIM Card. If the phon eis unlocked then the words Security Disabled wil lbe displayed at the top of the screen.

*I use Bloomberg Anywhere, which is a third party application I pay for on my own. It was NOT provided or preinstalled by PCCW. It seems PCCW forces this to run on 2G. Is this considered fair, especially if I pay Bloomberg for the content and I own the handset? I think not. Can someone chime in?

*Also strangely, my device will not run third party applications on WIFI. Is this by design on the part of PCCW or Research in Motion? Can they legally do this?
    I deactivated both 3G and 2G on my device and enabled WIFI. Tried watching CNN and I get a message that reads radio off, cannot access. Based on the above, this seems fair. This is a carrier imposed restriction. You may be abe to argue this with them. You may find that if you have 2G and 3G running as well as WiFi, the phone will use WiFi to connect. You should certainly ask your carrier what the order of prference is and how you select WiFi for access to data whilst connected to WiFi and whilst 2G and 3G are in range..

I try this with a third party application preinstalled by PCCW which serves financial stock quotes. Same message about radio off, cannot access. This is fair.

I try to access my self installed Bloomberg Anywhere application which I pay Bloomberg for and I get the same message about radio off, cannot access. This seems unfair and illegal. PCCW seems to be forcing me to pay for access to an application where payment for content is a transaction between myself and Bloomberg. Moreover, it is a device which I own. So they are preventing me from using the device but I can use the device (and the program which I license through someone else) by forcing me to run it on their network. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IN MY OPINION. You are right. This is a rip off. You carrier sees it somewhat differently. It see you as being at home and in possession of paid for tickest to the theatre. The carrier is a taxi cab and wants money to transport you to and from the theatre. If you have a data plan with your carrier (and you should have), then you have unlimited internet use. No additional charges should apply. Again, use it and check your bill..

*In my Bloomberg Anywhere software there is a settings tab for “routing.” The options are 1) Automatic 2) BIS-B 3) Direct (TCP) and 4) Direct (WAP). According to Bloomberg technical support, their should be a 5th setting for WI-FI. After reinstallation, making sure I have the latest upgrade, and also checking application permissions to make sure WIFI is allowed, I still cannot use Bloomberg Anywhere on WIFI. What do each of the four above mean? PCCW tech support stated that if I set routing to “Automatic” the data would transmit as if it were email and there would be no charge. Is this technically true? I have no idea, sorry. Perhaps you should ask Bloomberg.

I'm new here and cant post the URL to Bloomberg Anywhere for BB. But you can search for it on Google if it might help you. You wont be able run it though without a license. You can only post working URLs when you have 10 posts. This is to prevent spammers from posting links. You may still post a link but replace one or more of the odts with a space. Others just need to edit the link. Easy.[/quote]

I moved your post to the Bold forum because you will get a much better set of responses here. I have answered some of your question and I am sure that others will respond to the rest.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-08-09 at 07:52 AM.
    01-08-09 07:46 AM
    You say your carriers wap use is not unlimited but internet browsing is.

So anything that you download and run via blackberry.net (BIS - B) is covered under your plan. Therefore set your default browser to 'internet' browser and your default wap browser to your carriers browser at options > advanced options >browser.

Often some carriers charge extra for using APN settings and running applications via this, have a look in options > advanced options > TCP.

I would assume that these launchers installed by your carrier have been set to use wap or apn.

As for wifi use it al depends on the application having been built to run on wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD