I am trying to create a downloadable launcher for my website.

i have a icon, i have the URL, but how do I make it so that users can log onto my site and download the icon to their home screen?

i have searched for hours, and cannot find any help!

--adam
    07-20-08 08:06 PM
    Just curious, why do you want to have users log on to your site first? Is it a security issue?
    07-20-08 09:50 PM
    I am working with "AC" on this issue...

We don't need any one to log into the site... maybe bad choice of words... what we need is a way to make the icon available to our visitors that will sit on their Black Berry Desktop and will launch their browser and take them to our site.

Example: The NEW YORK TIMES mobile site has a link at the bottom of their website "Add NYTimes Blackberry Shortcut to your homescreen" That is what we are trying to do... I have created the icon know where I want it to go but I need to know what I have to do to make it work as a launcher on a BB and how to make it available for my users.

Hope that clears it up.
    07-20-08 10:27 PM
    I would also be interested in knowing how to do this?
    12-10-08 02:19 PM
    The only way I know how to do this is if you make a simple app, add whatever icon, and then you do:

I've breifly tested the code below in the 9530 sim, it seems to work, didn't throw up errors that I noticed Not sure if it exited properly, pretty sure that it did.

Code:
    import net.rim.device.api.system.Application;
    import net.rim.blackberry.api.browser.Browser;

class myLink extends Application
    {
        public myLink()
        {
        }

public static void main(String[] args)
        {
              Browser.getDefaultSession().displayPage("http://nyt.com");
              System.exit(0);
        }
    }
    Also the Browser API is one that needs to be signed, $20 for a signing key from RIM.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-10-08 at 08:15 PM.
    12-10-08 08:06 PM
    I am trying to create a downloadable launcher for my website.

i have a icon, i have the URL, but how do I make it so that users can log onto my site and download the icon to their home screen?

i have searched for hours, and cannot find any help!

--adam
    Hi Adam,

A downloadable website "launcher" like the Crackberry.com Launcher we programmed for Crackberry, is a Java application (just like others on your Blackberry).

A Blackberry user (ie not a programmer), can't make one. To create such a Blackberry application, you have to be a developer. While a very simple launcher is a fairly trivial program to write, a more complex one like the Crackberry.com launcher is not. And even to create a simple version, you would still need to be able to setup a development environment (like the BB JDE and Jave SE), learn Java, and get a code signing key from RIM.

If this is for a commercial venture, my advice would be to approach a known developer about your needs, and ask them to create one for you for a fee.
    12-10-08 10:49 PM
    I actually just realised how much the default web launcher with vodafone crud is ticking me off, well I already was ticked off, and am planning to make my own start page using the code above to get round it, when will providers get it through their skulls people don't care about their crud.... *shakes head*
    12-10-08 11:18 PM
    I actually just realised how much the default web launcher with vodafone crud is ticking me off, well I already was ticked off, and am planning to make my own start page using the code above to get round it, when will providers get it through their skulls people don't care about their crud.... *shakes head*

I haven't owned a curve but is there a splash screen or does it jump to a home screen on the net of some sort?

The reason I ask is I set my default on the storm to jump to a most used bookmarks/history page.. if that makes sense..

Voda may do things different the home screen for verizon is a small web page with a few icons for basic things weather etc..

but once again I haven't owned a curve..
    12-11-08 04:28 AM
    I haven't owned a curve but is there a splash screen or does it jump to a home screen on the net of some sort?

The reason I ask is I set my default on the storm to jump to a most used bookmarks/history page.. if that makes sense..

Voda may do things different the home screen for verizon is a small web page with a few icons for basic things weather etc..

but once again I haven't owned a curve..
    Not sure if this is a phone or carrier or both thing, however I had 3 web launchers come up, I hid 2 of them and just have the default RIM one on now, I think, but I set the default home page but I still see voda crud, so I'm guessing it must be some override from a service book.
    12-11-08 04:00 PM
    nm, didn't notice the drop down a few above it saying "start page"... oops... I plead ummm I didn't have this phone long enough, yea that's it, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    12-11-08 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD