Hello again guys,

I've been looking for project management apps for blackberry and I'm not really happy with what I found. So I wondered 'oh well, why not write one myself'?

Thing is, I have no idea how to start. Any crackbrother or sister out there willing to give me a heads up on BB-programming?

Thanks for the help!
    09-27-09 04:29 PM
    bump :/
    A lil help anyone?
    09-28-09 07:53 AM
    Step 1, learn to program in Java. That's the biggest and most important step. Do you have any experience with that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 08:34 AM
    Programming an app isn't an easy thing it could take months to develop a proper working application like radius said you'll need to program in java

09-28-09 09:08 AM
    I have moved your question to the appropraite sub forum.

As you have been advised, Sun Java VM is the engine that drives BlackBerry.

Software development is highly labour intensive and it takes years to refine the required skills and techniques.
    09-28-09 09:28 AM
    Step 1, learn to program in Java. That's the biggest and most important step. Do you have any experience with that?

start
    var reply;
    set reply string;
    reply == "I've done some coding, but a looong time ago (1999-2001).";
    write reply;
    end

So that's that? Java? No need of a 'BBDK' or any sorts? I agree (re)learning to code and getting it to work right is time consuming, but I don't really need to do it all by myself.
    09-28-09 01:01 PM
    Learn java first, then learn how to use bb api to make your app.
    09-29-09 04:14 PM
    Take heart though, it was easier than I expected to learn - coming from a C#.net background it took me just over a month to produce a fairly straightforward app. Project management would be more involved no doubt.

I started with hello world and built from there. Use the development forums for aid. And use the different simulators, the behaviour can be surprisingly different in some cases.

I found this page below a helpful reference as far as getting an idea about the basic UI controls available.

devsushi.com/2007/12/02/blackberry-jde-api-user-interface-field-reference/#nullfield
    10-02-09 12:04 PM
    sorayathomas, many thanks for the input! I'll read that carefully!

Guys, a friend suggested Eclipse and developing for a web application, but what I have in mind is a portable PM station with features enough to actually give you the big picture without being too heavy (it does not aim on replacing the desktop). Do you guys think this is the best approach? I still think a client would be required for some features instead of having it all on the cloud, but in the end, it IS Blackberry we're talking about.

Waiting for your ideas!
    10-04-09 05:23 AM
    I am also looking to start programming BB apps, I hate that I have to use Java though -- not my favorite language
    10-05-09 06:04 PM
    is the blackberry J2ME or J2SE?
    10-11-09 04:25 PM
    is the blackberry J2ME or J2SE?
    Neither, but very close on the J2ME front. You really should look at the developers documentation at blackberry.com for some good explanations. The BB Javadocs, by BB version, are all online and you can easily see which Java classes are implemented.
    10-11-09 04:56 PM
    I found the following book, Thinking in Java, very helpful for learning the language. It's available as a free download:

Bruce Eckel's MindView, Inc: Free Electronic Book: Thinking in Java, 3rd Edition

Hope this help!

Russ.
    10-22-09 04:59 PM
    I found the following book, Thinking in Java, very helpful for learning the language. It's available as a free download:

Bruce Eckel's MindView, Inc: Free Electronic Book: Thinking in Java, 3rd Edition

Hope this help!

Russ.
    Hey, thanks Russ! That's quite helpful! Gonna read it as soon as I got free time. Got a project right now that's keeping me reaally busy. ><
    10-22-09 08:31 PM
    I am also looking to start programming BB apps, I hate that I have to use Java though -- not my favorite language
    definitely would be nice if it were based on Objective-C like the iPhone/Mac OS X, and you were just able to use Xcode hehe.
    10-22-09 11:33 PM
    Looks like i will be reading that as well.......im going to develop also
    10-25-09 10:48 AM

Hope this help!

Russ.
    excellent book, very simple and straight forward. but not for beginners, I was able to understand basically lot of stuff but thats because my job has to do with coding in C# which is an object oriented language as JAVA
    11-05-09 08:35 AM
    Hey all,
    I really would like to start developing some apps but i have no idea about programming. I'm in college so i have some free time but I've been designing themes like crazy, so that's been taking up my midnights. How long would it take to learn java? or should i just wait until half way through next semester when I'm gonna be forced to learn it for a class?
    11-06-09 07:01 PM
    Hey all,
    I really would like to start developing some apps but i have no idea about programming. I'm in college so i have some free time but I've been designing themes like crazy, so that's been taking up my midnights. How long would it take to learn java? or should i just wait until half way through next semester when I'm gonna be forced to learn it for a class?
    What language do you know? if you know your way around C, C++ or C# Java will come easy. if not, well you can start a few basic things with Java, but as I always say, objected oriented language is not that easy to learn without some good foundation on programming.
    11-06-09 09:52 PM
    What language do you know? if you know your way around C, C++ or C# Java will come easy. if not, well you can start a few basic things with Java, but as I always say, objected oriented language is not that easy to learn without some good foundation on programming.
    well i know not a thing about any programming, lol. I will eventually as I am going to to minor in it at MSU but those classes don't start until next year. I really wanted to get a jump start. Would you say that it would be better to learn another language first and then jump to java? and if so which one would be best, like most used or newest?

Thanks
    11-08-09 08:56 AM
    hi guys an girls, simple one this (i hope) basically im looking to get into the development side of things (doing just themes at the mo) and basically i will be starting from scratch, but that doesnt bother me, so what im basically wondering is the links on blackberry say to go to the sun website and download what i need, but there are several versions and stuff, and none of them are the JDK1.6 mentoned as they are showing JDK 6??? basically im just wondering whats the best tools (and which versions best also) for me to download so i can get cracking

thanks in advance

dave
    11-15-09 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD