I am not a developer but have fairly recently designed an application and have taken the lead in having it developed.
    I am expecting the finished package including the code to be delivered to me soon. I would like to verify that the package is complete by re-compiling and testing the result.

Can anyone suggest a quick and easy way to do this without having to do the entire Java tutorial (time constraint).

The first time that I went through this after ending an agreement with a developer, I found out several months later from the new developer that the .jdp file was missing. Since I am working for a third party that financed and owns the rights, I'd like to very much avoid this situation again.

Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks.
    08-23-10 06:32 PM
    I am not a developer but have fairly recently designed an application and have taken the lead in having it developed.
    I am expecting the finished package including the code to be delivered to me soon. I would like to verify that the package is complete by re-compiling and testing the result.

Can anyone suggest a quick and easy way to do this without having to do the entire Java tutorial (time constraint).

The first time that I went through this after ending an agreement with a developer, I found out several months later from the new developer that the .jdp file was missing. Since I am working for a third party that financed and owns the rights, I'd like to very much avoid this situation again.

Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks.
    my recommendation is tell your contractor to write up a compilation instruction.

for yourself do this

1 install the java SDK version for your app eg: JDK 4.7, 5.0 or 6.0. You can get this on the blackberry site

2 add your project to the workspace

3 compile

if you get errors then you need to make sure you have installed the java runtime component
    08-24-10 02:13 PM
    Thanks for the great suggestion. I should have asked this question before finalizing the agreement on the last phase of the project, then I could have included the request for those instructions. I don't know how receptive he will be at this point but I'll try anyway.

Lesson learned for the future.
    08-24-10 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the great suggestion. I should have asked this question before finalizing the agreement on the last phase of the project, then I could have included the request for those instructions. I don't know how receptive he will be at this point but I'll try anyway.

Lesson learned for the future.
    well you can also withhold portion of the payment if he doesnt give you compilation instructions
    08-29-10 10:04 AM
    That may normally be an option but I want to keep a cordial relationship. I will need him to stay on for fixes and updates and an adversarial relationship will probably cost us more in the long run.
    08-30-10 01:25 PM
    Thanks Smiley88 for the advice. I think I can get those instructions from the developer. He has asked for the balance of payment even though there are a few small issues to address in the application. I plan to leverage the situation. It may require a small leap of faith but it's worth it.

I'm hoping to debut the application in the Crackberry 3rd Party BlackBerry Apps forum for pre-release testing within next few days.

If you're in Southern Ontario I hope you will take part.

Thanks again!
    08-31-10 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD