Hi all,

Does anyone know how to convert a location ( coordinates, from an internal GPS) into an Address like ( France, Paris) by using the api?

Is that actually possible or do i need to use a 3rd party api?

Any ideas/comments appreciated ?

Thanks for the help.
    01-14-09 04:03 AM
    Hi all,

Does anyone know how to convert a location ( coordinates, from an internal GPS) into an Address like ( France, Paris) by using the api?

Is that actually possible or do i need to use a 3rd party api?

Any ideas/comments appreciated ?

Thanks for the help.
    That is not possible with the BB API. You would have to use an external data source.
    01-14-09 06:01 AM
    That is not possible with the BB API. You would have to use an external data source.
    But it's possible to invoke the Maps Application and display the coordinates on a map.
    01-14-09 07:48 AM
    You can use google maps API.
    01-15-09 12:02 AM
    But it's possible to invoke the Maps Application and display the coordinates on a map.
    what about the other way around, address to coordinates?
    01-16-09 06:10 PM
    what about the other way around, address to coordinates?
    That part is easier. One provider of that service is GPS Visualizer
    01-17-09 07:41 AM
    one option is to use a GoogleMap Service [requires a GoogleMaps API Key (that can be requested for free)]

Geocoding - Google Maps API Services - Google Code... @

code.google.com 'slash' intl 'slash' en 'slash' apis 'slash' maps 'slash' documentation 'slash' geocoding 'slash' index.html

(sorry I am not allowed to post URL's yet)

of course this implies some http communication (and with that it's not a offline solution)
    02-03-09 12:57 AM
    Actually what you want is reverse geocoding, converting GPS coords, to a landmark object. On the BB you can only geocode, using the LBS api to build up an Address and obtain GPS coords from the resulting Landmark object. However you could use googles api or other 3rd parties to achieve this.. and I guess it can be done seemlessly from within your app, via a http connection to build up the request, then read the resulting address returned via a data input stream.
    02-09-09 02:25 PM
    GoogleMaps APi key only allows a certain number of lookups per day..
    02-09-09 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD