Hi all

Any tips for someone looking to start creating apps for the very first time? Any books? Websites etc. For someone with absolutely zero knowledge.

Not sure where to start

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:23 PM
    I've recommended to my sons, 11 and 16 years old, to try out https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=OrfBVpjv

They're getting quite competitive with each other

It's great because it really guides you through the process, with a language that's actually useful (JavaScript, and a few others) .

Figure out JavaScript.

Then move on to http://www.learncpp.com which will introduce you to C++ on the console. But be careful... much of what c++ can do largely depends on the compiler, etc... So you'll learn the concepts, but don't be surprised when your c++ code doesn't work in another environment.

Stick with it. Chapter 8 is the important one -- Object Oriented Programming. This will largely resemble the c++ you'd need for Cascades and the BlackBerry NDK.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 12:37 AM
    If you have no knowledge of any programming language I'd strongly recommend going with HTML5 first. C++ is way harder to learn. I can do absolutely anything with HTML5 but I've only recently started trying some C++ stuff with a ton of trial and error.
    miketko likes this.
    02-18-13 01:03 AM
    Awesome. Thanks so far.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 05:08 AM
    IMHO, i would recommend starting with c language. After that, you can continue with the language you want. But only is my opinion.
    02-18-13 05:18 AM
    [QUOTE=JamesPtheNerd;8001258]I've recommended to my sons, 11 and 16 years old, to try out https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=d2Mqqv4w

This is pretty cool. Having some fun so far. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 06:35 AM
    IMHO, i would recommend starting with c language. After that, you can continue with the language you want. But only is my opinion.
    Def looking for everyone 's. Opinion

Posted via CB10
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    02-18-13 06:36 AM
    C++ will have the longest learning curve but best payoff.

Good for BB with NDK + Cascades. Semi portable to iOS + Android (NDK only not Cascades) via marmalade. You can also go to Win Mobile via VC++ and iOS stand alone via Objective C. So, yes, you may need a lot of software.

Good for: complex mobile apps + PC apps.

HTML5 (going to get some hatemail for this) is basically just HTML + a handful of new tags few folks use, and a lot of javascript that you can google as you go.

HTML5 is very flexible. You can use BBUI (BB only) or JQuery Mobile or Sencha or Phone Gap - all three of which go cross platform.

Good for: website style apps, functional apps. Mobile + SMART TV compatible.

You also have AS3 / AIR

This is for hardcore folks like me whohavent accepted Adobes fate. Works on iOS / Android and BB10 / PB.

OK for desktop apps, Good for websites and online games, Good for some mobile.

Last is odd misc languages like GLBasic for Android and iOS, and NSStudio which is another basic recompile. In truth the only decent VB you will find is in Visual Studio and is great for business work as tons of companys need VBA scripts in excel. but lots of hate in the world for VB . Great for quick ASP.net servers (where you need to put up a data VPS spomewhere).

Whew

My advice, start on HTML, work in some javascript (preferably using phonegap etc) and work your way up. HTML4/5 is getting quite powerful and some new devices only support html5 for languages (some smart tvs etc).

c++ is good, but its easier if you already understand how IDE's work, arrays work, etc. So the only new learning curve will be syntax, ide stuff and pointers.

But that's just my opinion . I'm a hobby dev at best.

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry S10.1 using Tapatalk Touch Beta
    BlackQtCoder and miketko like this.
    02-18-13 11:49 PM