Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default bb.pushScreen works in Ripple but not on PlayBook?

Newbie, just trying to get a WebWorks app working to the point of displaying my first screen on the PlayBook.

Very simple starting app, I have the index.html doing bb.init() and bb.pushScreen() as the onload process. Works fine in Ripple, I can see the buttons and such from my pushed screen.

But once loaded onto my PlayBook device however, it won't show anything from the pushed screen. It DOES show anything I put onto the index.html page (just to experiment), but won't show the pushed screen.

Anything duh! I might be doing wrong? I don't get why it looks fine in Ripple, but won't work on my device...
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post
    Newbie, just trying to get a WebWorks app working to the point of displaying my first screen on the PlayBook.

Very simple starting app, I have the index.html doing bb.init() and bb.pushScreen() as the onload process. Works fine in Ripple, I can see the buttons and such from my pushed screen.

But once loaded onto my PlayBook device however, it won't show anything from the pushed screen. It DOES show anything I put onto the index.html page (just to experiment), but won't show the pushed screen.

Anything duh! I might be doing wrong? I don't get why it looks fine in Ripple, but won't work on my device...
    You have to install the app. You cant just use the (playbook)webbrowser to view BBUI.js because the browser cant perform an XHR-Request (in this case the pussed screen).

Try to download a github source sample, and try that one. Maybe it is just a line of wrong codes, or BBUI fault.

If this (above) wont work, please send the source code so we can help

Jeroen
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen_13 View Post
    You have to install the app. You cant just use the (playbook)webbrowser to view BBUI.js because the browser cant perform an XHR-Request (in this case the pussed screen).
    Yup, made a small "Hello World" type WebWorks app. Packaged using Ripple, deployed to my PlayBook using blackberry-deploy command. It installs fine on the PlayBook, and opens fine, but won't seem to execute any bbui.js scripts on the PlayBook. It just displays anything I put on index.html.

For fun, I stuck some popup alerts into bbui.js just to see if things like bb.init and bb.pushscreen were even being called. And they work fine in Ripple, but apparently aren't even being called on the PlayBook. It's as if bbui.js just isn't makinig it onto the PlayBook, or the PlayBook can't access bbui.js scripts.

And yet, it's all in the .zip file after packaging, so I'm assuming everything is in the .bar file that's being deployed. No errors during packaging or deploying. Debug tokens are working.

I'm sure it's something stupid I'm missing as a newbie, but I can't figure it out. I've tried sample apps with the same result. I've moved the bb.init and bb.pushcreen calls around to various places, but it just seems the PlayBook can't call anything from bbui.js.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Found the problem: bbui 0.9.6.10 won't load on my PlayBook, but bbui 0.9.2 in a sample app worked fine. So I just copied bbui 0.9.2 into my little app, and it works fine now too

And now.... on to actually create something useful!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post
    Found the problem: bbui 0.9.6.10 won't load on my PlayBook, but bbui 0.9.2 in a sample app worked fine. So I just copied bbui 0.9.2 into my little app, and it works fine now too

And now.... on to actually create something useful!
    BBUI.js 0.9.6 is a BETA build.

You might want to try the Official 0.9.5 version as it is a recommended build.

It includes a 'new' NATIVE menu, similar to the 'three-dots' on the right side on the 'action bar'

When you've downloaded the 0.9.5 version, install it to your playbook and checkout the new 'Action Bar' features.
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    Thanked by:
    katesbb (12-18-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen_13 View Post
    When you've downloaded the 0.9.5 version, install it to your playbook and checkout the new 'Action Bar' features.
    Neat! Thank you, I'll give it a try. I was trying to get some of the BB10 look & feel working, so maybe the newer version will work better.

I was soooo frustrated for days trying to get that pushscreen() to work, but now that I'm past that I have to admit the bbui framework is really fun to play with! You can do quite a bit really quick with it. Considering I've never written a line of javascript in my life until a few days ago, that's really saying something lol.

Now if I can just figure out how to dynamically add items to a scrollable list (like when populating from a twitter feed, etc.)...

Thanks again for the tips!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I spoke to soon, the problem came back. It runs fine on Ripple, but the app installed on the device seems to stop executing any further javascript after the bb.init() call. It doesn't even get as far as executing the first line of bb.init() code, as the call to bb.init() itself is the last javascript it'll run.

If I sprinkle something like alert('got this far') scipts in the code, they all open right up to the call to bb.init() on the PlayBook. After that, no other scripts get executed.

The weird thing is, even going back to a backup of proven project source files doesn't fix it. It just stops working at some point, as if an uninstall didn't properly remove everything or something. Sample apps deploy and run just fine, but I suspect they too might fail after repeated installation/uninstall repetitions.

I've tried various version of bbui as well, and none seem to get it working again.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Which webworks SDK version do you use ? Are you sure you haven't downloaded the BB 10 Webworks SDK ? You need to have the Playbook SDK.
    ❤ button

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Edit; could you please send over the .bar & the source code of your app ?
    I will test the app on my playbook, maybe its just your playbooks software that is a bit corrupted.

I also will post a link soon with a sample of a webworks(BBUI.js) i've created, and that is confirmed to work.

EDIT: this is the app i've created; This is the LaunchScreen

This is how it looks on Ripple, and it looks exactly the same on my playbook.
    Download
    Last edited by jeroen_13; 12-19-2012 at 03:31 AM.