Here's a link to where the OTA trial version is. It will work for more than 30 days.

bbapps.net

AreaCodeLookup is a program that allows you to see where an incoming call is by its area code. If the incoming call is not listed in the address book, it will display the location of where the area code covers. It works even if the keyboard is locked! The program has all known area codes embedded but you can also use a simple text file to make your own names for any area code you want to change the description for. The text file is not required and you only need to change the area codes you feel like customizing. It currently does not work on the Bold 9000 but all other models should work.

Example of contents of Areacodes.txt textfile. First line is number of entries (1 per area code and description set). Next line is the area code and next is the description. Then repeat area code and description for each additional one. You can also add more digits all the way up to the full number. Put the longest ones first like the example below. You can have as many three digit areacodes as you want but are limited right now to 100 entries over three digits. This limit is due to the fact that it has to react very fast when a call is incoming and I haven't tested out the speed on many phones yet.

Here's what the optional textfile would look like:
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Fake Phone Number
    Eastside Seattle Cell Phone
    Eastside of Seattle
    Seattle
    Last edited by wojc0008; 10-18-08 at 03:23 PM.
    10-18-08 12:34 PM
    Here's a link to where the OTA trial version is. It will work for more than 30 days.

bbapps.net

AreaCodeLookup is a program that allows you to see where an incoming call is by its area code. If the incoming call is not listed in the address book, it will display the location of where the area code covers. It works even if the keyboard is locked! The program has all known area codes embedded but you can also use a simple text file to make your own names for any area code you want to change the description for. The text file is not required and you only need to change the area codes you feel like customizing. It currently does not work on the Bold 9000 but all other models should work.

Example of contents of Areacodes.txt textfile. First line is number of entries (1 per area code and description set). Next line is the area code and next is the description. Then repeat area code and description for each additional one. You can also add more digits all the way up to the full number. Put the longest ones first like the example below. You can have as many three digit areacodes as you want but are limited right now to 100 entries over three digits. This limit is due to the fact that it has to react very fast when a call is incoming and I haven't tested out the speed on many phones yet.

Here's what the optional textfile would look like:
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Fake Phone Number
    Eastside Seattle Cell Phone
    Eastside of Seattle
    Seattle
    Keep getting mesg saying uncaught exception when putting in 3 didsgit code for it to lookup?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 06:28 AM
    Would you mind trying one more time? I've been doing a ton of updates.

Over-The-Air link: bbapps.net
    /download/AreaCodeLookup.jad

Also, which Blackberry are you using? What software version?
    Last edited by wojc0008; 10-28-08 at 12:14 PM.
    10-27-08 06:40 PM
    I have made some major changes and it should now work on the Bold. You can also add a textfile to support custom lookups on areacodes and even longer numbers all the way to the full number.

Over-the-Air version at http://www.bbapps.net

Example of contents of the textfile:

Home
    Kirkland, WA
    National Semiconductor

Would you mind trying one more time? I've been doing a ton of updates.

Over-The-Air link: bbapps.net
    /download/AreaCodeLookup.jad

Also, which Blackberry are you using? What software version?
    11-02-08 11:38 PM
    So does no one have this floating around somewhere anymore? It seems that Cequint, the company that owns the patent and makes City ID, only licenses the program directly to mobile providers, not individual consumers.

The City/State ID is one of the things I miss most from my Samsung/Sprint phones since I upgraded to a Blackberry.
    03-11-09 04:22 PM
    So does no one have this floating around somewhere anymore? It seems that Cequint, the company that owns the patent and makes City ID, only licenses the program directly to mobile providers, not individual consumers.

The City/State ID is one of the things I miss most from my Samsung/Sprint phones since I upgraded to a Blackberry.
    Your looking for area code information?
    03-16-09 05:22 PM

I haven't been able to find app anyware..Developer went mia.
    It would be nice if some developer would step up with such app and drop it anonymously on file share or kick a zip file of it around.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-16-09 at 06:12 PM.
    03-16-09 06:00 PM
    I would love to have an app that does this. However, a little research has turned up that Cequint has tight patent control over this with their City ID technology.

Not to mention, accessing incoming caller ID info requires that you sign your app. This costs $100 for a key from RIM and ties you to the final app. A risky proposition since Cequint is likely quite litigious with their IP.

That's too bad. I was thinking of slapping something together for this exact thing. However, since I am a rookie I won't be sticking my neck out like that.
    03-18-09 04:43 PM
    Anyone tried Berry-a-code? Is that still around?
    03-18-09 04:45 PM
    Anyone tried Berry-a-code? Is that still around?
    Yep its around.
    Ive installed a few times always dumping because it brings lot of lag/hourglass when calls incoming and on hang up..very disappointing but hey app was built early 2007 running on 4.2

Any developers want to try hack bringing it up to modern day speed have at it ,who ever can pull it off will have 50 bucs on the way.
    03-19-09 01:51 AM
    Im building such app for Treo Pro using morstscript language..as seen I need to add tons of area codes lol ,whats currently put together took a couple hours and works outstanding ,All i need to do now is learn how to build such app for BB

# TreoAcode.mscr - Shows area code location

#Checking call state
    Active = RegRead( "HKLM", "System\State\Phone", "Palm Active Call State" )
    If ( Active = 0 )
    RegWriteString "HKLM","System\State\Phone","Current Operator Name", SPRINT
    EndIf
    If ( Active = 1 )

AREACODES[703]="Northern VA"
    AREACODES[757]="Norfolk, VA"
    AREACODES[201]="New Jersey"
    AREACODES[202]="Washington DC"
    AREACODES[205]="Central Alabama"

LastNum = RegRead( "HKLM", "System\State\Phone", "Last Incoming Caller Number" )

If ( LastNum ne "" )
    numcnt = 0
    Acode = ""
    ForEach Digit in charsOf ( LastNum )
    If ( numcnt < 3 && Find( "0123456789", Digit ) > 0 )
    Acode = Acode & Digit
    numcnt = numcnt + 1
    EndIf
    EndForEach
    RegWriteString( "HKLM","System\State\Phone","Current Operator Name", AREACODES[Acode] )
    EndIf
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-26-09 at 07:41 PM.
    03-26-09 03:50 PM
    BerryACode doesnt work on 9630
    09-16-09 10:39 AM
    It seems the trail has gone cold on this one. Damn you Cequint!
    Last edited by elmackpapa; 12-25-09 at 11:03 PM.
    12-25-09 10:55 PM
    It seems the trail has gone cold on this one. Damn you Cequint!

I totally agree. I really wish I could give out this program but I can't. I wish Cequint would at least provide a solution for everyone to use.

Jamie
    01-14-10 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD