..and it works with other hardware too. I got this program when HP first created it and have used it extensively and its flawless. It can, however, hose your system and you'll reinstall the OS on your PC at worst, if not cautious.
    When you disconnect your hardware it will leave a ghost of it and sometimes it won't get detected again.

So google "col1832 "(HERE is a direct link, and HP has changed the link in the past)

Look for the link to the HP page, don't get it elsewhere (at least, IMO)

It creates a program group and you will run HPSysDig.exe

Make sure the phones disconnected before doing this part...

1. Open the program
    2. Click the Devices tab, let it detect devices
    3. In the Left pane, scroll all the way down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and click to highlight
    4. In the right pane, you will see Blackberry Smartphone with a yellow exclamation point on it. Right click and select Uninstall. Don't worry; it doesn't remove the software program or anything. Uninstall all instances of it that you see.

Now you can connect the phone and open DM and it will detect it.

In the HP System Diagnostics program you will also be able to browse and see ghost hardware you might not have used for years. You can remove them, usually mice, keyboards, printers, monitors, drives, etc. Be careful around NICs and Sound stuff :P If you don't recognize it, don't "uninstall" it. And it doesnt remove the software, only the remains of it from earlier detection.

I'd be interested to know if this helps anyone. I keep this program on my jump drive when going out on calls
    01-15-10 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD