How do I know which DM to download? I am very very confused with this part of owning a blackberry ...I want to update it because my battery is dieing...how do I get to the right desktop manager, and what do I do to upgrade it.
    04-12-10 08:20 PM
    The Desktop Manager runs on your PC and allows you to sync your personal information with software running on your PC, typically your Address Book with Outlook, for example. It doesn't have anything to do with your battery life. You are probably thinking of an OS upgrade. The latest officially released OS for your device is found in a sticky at the top of the 9700 forum, along with instructions for installing it. I would encourage you to read the instructions carefully. Installing an OS is not difficult, but it is not trivial either and you can easily make your phone inoperative. That's usually recoverable, but an unnecessary hassle.
    04-12-10 08:29 PM
    Okay awesome thanks!
    04-12-10 08:33 PM
    You should install Desktop Manager too. It is a good idea to make backups, so you do not lose your contacts.

I recommend Desktop Manager without Media Manager. The Roxio Media Manager made my PC crash, and it is a pain to uninstall. You would be better off installing Desktop Manager without Media Manager initially.

I am using 5.0.1.28, but I have also used 4.6 in the past.
    04-12-10 08:56 PM
    I am trying to upgrade my OS..and I am a little confused, I clicked the link in the Sticky, read what it said, and it brought me to the BB website, right now my computer is downloading a "cosmote"...is this right/ and I dont have my phone plugged in yet right?
    04-12-10 08:58 PM
    Not to cut in, But I install deask top and I can't find it where I can stop it from starting up when I turn on my lap top. I like to be able to start it up when I needed.
    04-12-10 09:41 PM
    I am trying to upgrade my OS..and I am a little confused, I clicked the link in the Sticky, read what it said, and it brought me to the BB website, right now my computer is downloading a "cosmote"...is this right/ and I dont have my phone plugged in yet right?
    Yes, that is correct. Be sure to follow the instructions regarding deleting the
    vendor.xml file

Not to cut in, But I install deask top and I can't find it where I can stop it from starting up when I turn on my lap top. I like to be able to start it up when I needed.
    Hijacking a thread is bad form and frowned upon. In the future start your own
    thread for separate questions.

To answer your question:
    1) On your laptop click the START button
    2) Click RUN
    3) In the dialog box type MSCONFIG
    4) Click the STARTUP tab (all the way to the right)
    5) Take the check out of any box that references BB or RIM
    6) Click APPLY and then CLOSE
    7) Select EXIT. Your laptop must restart for the change to happen
    04-12-10 10:18 PM
    I did delete the vendor, but my phone did not upgrade..it installed apploader, did some file sending, went to a white screen...and then went back to my background, no messages, and nothing changed..i dont no what I did wrong. I followed all the directions.
    04-12-10 10:37 PM
    04-12-10 10:44 PM
    Hey everyone, I figured it out, thanks so much for all your help, and sorry for the multiple threads! I was in a panic... =( If I have anymore questions I will keep it to one..
    Thanks again!
    04-12-10 11:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD