Today I begin to wonder (for me the less i carry the better) is there a chance that the Playbook can install Desktop Manager so I can make backups of my 9700 and also when I have new OS can be installed and I can upgrade from the playbook, instead of using my Pc or netbook?

Thanks for your info

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 05:20 PM
    I'd doubt it. IIRC the PlayBook uses a standard MicroUSB "slave" port, meaning that it can only be connected to "host" devices (Computers) and not another "slave" device like a BlackBerry.

If the PlayBook integrated a USB On-The-Go port, it could easily.

If it doesn't, then no matter what the software is a full BDM is impossible.
    Last edited by grahamf; 10-18-10 at 05:34 PM.
    10-18-10 05:26 PM
    no one has a clue, the device is not even done yet
    10-18-10 05:31 PM
    I use DM a few times a year. How often do you think you'll be installing a new OS, anyway??
    10-18-10 05:44 PM
    Thats funny I was wondering the exact same thing today driving home. I dont see why it wouldnt be possible (unless what grahamf said), it would be very useful to have the Desktop Manager and all of the remote features right on your PlayBook
    10-18-10 05:47 PM
    I normally upgrades OS very often in a week basis, here in Ecuador are a lot of persons tjat doesn't know out to do it, so I give a service doing that, I do undertand the slave port, but this was just a casual question, cause i was thinking more powerfull tool for me than a laptop in the issues that i do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 06:49 PM
    I would love this. If RIM uses the USB OTG in the PlayBook, that would be a huge selling point for professionals in a variety of businesses. I can think of three right off the top of my head: photographers, software/electrical/program engineers, and anyone that uses data-logging equipment (i.e. racing, medical, certain other engineering disciplines).
    10-18-10 09:40 PM
    I would love this. If RIM uses the USB OTG in the PlayBook, that would be a huge selling point for professionals in a variety of businesses. I can think of three right off the top of my head: photographers, software/electrical/program engineers, and anyone that uses data-logging equipment (i.e. racing, medical, certain other engineering disciplines).
    And anybody that wants to plug in a scanner or a printer.
    10-18-10 10:03 PM
    I'd doubt it. IIRC the PlayBook uses a standard MicroUSB "slave" port, meaning that it can only be connected to "host" devices (Computers) and not another "slave" device like a BlackBerry.

If the PlayBook integrated a USB On-The-Go port, it could easily.

If it doesn't, then no matter what the software is a full BDM is impossible.
    I thought they said tethering to a BB? So wouldn't that be done with the "on-the-go" port?
    10-19-10 09:27 AM
    I thought they said tethering to a BB? So wouldn't that be done with the "on-the-go" port?
    Tethering is being done via BlueTooth.
    10-19-10 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD