Has anyone successfully tethered their Torch 9800 thru Desktop Manager 6? When I connect my phone to my computer and run DM6 I no longer see the option to tether on the bottom left corner of the applications window. I previously had a Curve 8900 and tethered with no problems thru DM6 running on Windows 7. (I'm with T-Mobile and have the unlimited data plan) I just got the Torch, unlocked it and everything is working properly on T-Mobile's network, however as I mentioned when I connect the Torch to the Desktop Manager I don't see any option to tether as I previously did with the Curve 8900. I've look at the Technical Specs provided by RIM at blackberry.com and Tethered Modem is listed as a supported Feature. I've been searching these forums and haven't found any info. Does anyone else have this problem, or am I the only one who does not have this option available on DM6. For what it's worth, I also connected a Torch 9800 running on AT&T network with a 2GB data plan and still do not see this option. However if I connect my old Curve 8900 to DM6 I see the option to tether immediately upon connecting the device on the bottom left corner of the DM6's window. Thanks in advance for any help.
    08-16-10 04:45 AM
    Hi, I did post about a 10 days ago (but nobody answered). On the day the Torch was announced, I checked the RIM website and it listed inbuilt tethering on the multimedia section on the 9800. I checked a few days later, and all mention of it had mysteriously disappeared! Pretty sure it wasn't a dream. Maybe a change of heart – or outside pressure – instead?
    08-16-10 08:35 AM
    I am having the same issues because i tether all the time and now i have to swap between my 9700 and 9800 and it is starting to kill me . I wonder if there is something in the e-screen to unlock it . I just don't know .
    08-16-10 09:12 AM
    Better be able to tether with this phone
    i

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 11:58 AM
    I'm tethering with my torch right now but I am using AT&T communication manager.
    08-16-10 12:17 PM
    Vraptor could you try tethering just straight with the USB cable or BT without the comm manager? That's pretty much a deal breaker for me if it doesn't work.
    08-16-10 12:21 PM
    If you compare the phones the feature of tethering is mentioned.
    I think is a problem of settings
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    08-16-10 12:21 PM
    Vraptor could you try tethering just straight with the USB cable or BT without the comm manager? That's pretty much a deal breaker for me if it doesn't work.
    I would if my dm showed an option for it but it doesn't. It is version 4.6. I haven't installed the new dm that came with the torch yet. been working too much.
    08-16-10 12:33 PM
    I'm tethering with my torch right now but I am using AT&T communication manager.
    VRaptor, I'm glad to hear that tethering is possible on this phone. I've seen post on how to manually setup tethering on a blackberry, but I have never tried it as I was able to do so thru Desktop Manager with a simple click. Any ideas of why Desktop Manager doesn't have this feature for the Torch? Did RIM not include a driver with DM to enable this feature? I've tried re-installing Desktop Manager 6 to see if that would fix the issue, but the problem remains.

Regarding tethering on AT&T, have you ever been charged extra for tethering as long you don't exceed your data plans allowance? I ask because my girlfriend just signed up with AT&T and got this phone too, we live in area where we are constantly having blackouts, so tethering is definitely necessary at times.
    08-16-10 01:20 PM
    What are the steps you use on the actual Torch to tether via AT&T Communication Manager?

Meaning what starts the modem communication on the device?
    08-16-10 01:46 PM
    I'm tethering on my Mac over bluetooth. On Windows there is no need to go through DM, simply set up the phone as a modem. That is basically what I did on the Mac as well. I used to tether my bold via bluetooth on the PC. There are instruction on how to tether all over Crackberry, no need for DM or any program.
    08-16-10 02:00 PM
    What are the steps you use on the actual Torch to tether via AT&T Communication Manager?

Meaning what starts the modem communication on the device?
    AT&T communication Manager does it all automatically for you you just plug in the phone after starting the program and it connects to your phone and then gives you a button to click to connect. Once it has connected away you go.
    08-16-10 02:00 PM
    I'm tethering on my Mac over bluetooth. On Windows there is no need to go through DM, simply set up the phone as a modem. That is basically what I did on the Mac as well. I used to tether my bold via bluetooth on the PC. There are instruction on how to tether all over Crackberry, no need for DM or any program.

do you have a tutorial on how to do it on mac? i spent 25$ on tether when it was on sale and the terrible app never works properly. keeps crashing on my bb or on the laptop. im honestly very happy i didnt pay 50$ for it cuz i would be completely pissed right now. only bought it cuz it advertised tethering over usb which doesnt even work on mac.................
    08-16-10 02:37 PM
    do you have a tutorial on how to do it on mac? i spent 25$ on tether when it was on sale and the terrible app never works properly. keeps crashing on my bb or on the laptop. im honestly very happy i didnt pay 50$ for it cuz i would be completely pissed right now. only bought it cuz it advertised tethering over usb which doesnt even work on mac.................
    To use bluetooth, make your hone discoverable and click on the bluetooth symbol on the top of your Mac;s screen and choose "Setup bluetooth device and follow the directions.

Go to System preferences and choose Network. Click the + to add a service if Bluetooth DUN is not there. Choose Bluetooth DUN from the drop down menu for the interface.

These are the settings I use.

Configuration: default
    Telephone number: leave blank
    Account Name: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1

Click on Advanced >Modem
    APN: wap.cingular CID: 1 Vendor: Research in Motion Model: Blackberry IP Modem GSM

Here is a link to a thread about this in the Mac area on Crackberry: http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/bla...-167-a-136856/

The settings shown in that thread are the same with the exception of the phone number. They had something in the phone number field but that didn't work for me. Leaving it blank did.

I hope this helps. It is actually quite easy.
    08-16-10 03:17 PM
    I downloaded the at&t manager but i am on rogers and it didnt work . i think it has to do with DM6 but it is really starting to bug me because i have to swap between my 9700 when i wanna tether . Need another solution .
    08-17-10 01:50 AM
    AT&T communication manager only works on AT&T as far as I know You will probably have to set it up manually as a modem and there are threads on here that can walk you thru it. AT&T charges me $20.00 a month for unlimited tethering but you can't get that plan anymore. The best they offer now is 2gig tethering. Not sure of the cost.
    08-17-10 09:56 AM
    To use bluetooth, make your hone discoverable and click on the bluetooth symbol on the top of your Mac;s screen and choose "Setup bluetooth device and follow the directions.

Go to System preferences and choose Network. Click the + to add a service if Bluetooth DUN is not there. Choose Bluetooth DUN from the drop down menu for the interface.

These are the settings I use.

Configuration: default
    Telephone number: leave blank
    Account Name: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1

Click on Advanced >Modem
    APN: wap.cingular CID: 1 Vendor: Research in Motion Model: Blackberry IP Modem GSM

Here is a link to a thread about this in the Mac area on Crackberry: http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/bla...-167-a-136856/

The settings shown in that thread are the same with the exception of the phone number. They had something in the phone number field but that didn't work for me. Leaving it blank did.

I hope this helps. It is actually quite easy.
    thanks a lot ill give it a try later today
    08-17-10 01:46 PM
    I downloaded the at&t manager but i am on rogers and it didnt work . i think it has to do with DM6 but it is really starting to bug me because i have to swap between my 9700 when i wanna tether . Need another solution .
    I downloaded the at&t communication manager and I'm on Truemove (Thailand) and it worked and able to use to tether with my notebook. just make sure that you have the settings right and I think it should be ok and no extra charge should occur as long as you don't use at&t.
    08-29-10 10:23 PM
    This works great! - Super Fast

Quick and Dirty Windows 7 Blackberry Tether
    08-29-10 10:44 PM
    This works great! - Super Fast

Quick and Dirty Windows 7 Blackberry Tether
    Awesome job. Thank you very much for taking the time to research it and then post it. I just setup my Torch and it works great.
    Thanks again
    09-25-10 02:48 PM
    With the help of another user we have figured out how to make DM6 tether natively with the ATT Torch. My instructions are for doing an ATT branded Torch on TMobile. There is a link in my instructions on how to do it for an ATT branded Torch on ATT.

Get Your Unlocked 9800 Torch Working on TMobile with Browser, UMA and DM Tethering - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

If you have another brand of Torch the same instructions will work but you'll have to edit the proper section in the described xml file.
    Last edited by John Clark; 12-03-10 at 07:44 PM.
    12-03-10 07:41 PM
    i am tethering on 2 laptops with my torch. one is xp the other win 7. the problem i am having is that on a 3rd pc with win 7 Desktop manager give me a apn invalid error. I have everything set the same. anybody give advice as to why the 3rd pc is giving this error? is it in desktop manager installation, or a setting somewhere deep within the pc? i have not been able to get any kind response or help on this.
    05-04-11 07:04 PM
    Here is the fix for Dm and tethering. I had to go into the file and change the setting as this link instructs. I never had problem till I switched laptops or phone. Forget which now but this will do it for the ones that have not gotten it going.

How to tether your Blackberry using Desktop Manager (even with AT&T) | InterWorks, Inc.
    11-07-11 04:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD