Is it possible to tether without desktop manager installed? No landline internet, just my 8100 on tmobile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 08:25 PM
    Check out the Tether application.
    03-02-11 09:30 PM
    I can't download the windows program. No internet..

03-02-11 09:36 PM
    Can I set up a dial up connection without desktop manager?

03-02-11 09:38 PM
    You can download it from the Tether application on your BlackBerry. And then install it on your computer from the BlackBerry automatically.

No. You can't set up a dial up connection without BlackBerry Desktop Manager. And even then, you would need to pay TMobile for a tethering plan.
    03-02-11 10:44 PM
    Ok thanks. Tethering is included in my data plan.

03-02-11 11:19 PM
    yes u can. i do it everyday. here's how i do it. I have a 9650 on alltel\verzion. i make a bluetooth connection to phone and bluetooth driver sets up dial up network. then enter in my carrier access code and i'm online. thats how i'm connected typing this. you do need to find the bluetooth driver and would need net for that but i'd find a wifi hotspot and get it that way. after that u could be online anywhere.
    03-03-11 04:28 AM
    Ok thanks. Tethering is included in my data plan.
    Ok. You might want to double check. I believe that TMobile stopped allowing tethering for free sometime last year.
    03-03-11 05:56 AM
    yes u can. i do it everyday. here's how i do it. I have a 9650 on alltel\verzion. i make a bluetooth connection to phone and bluetooth driver sets up dial up network. then enter in my carrier access code and i'm online. thats how i'm connected typing this. you do need to find the bluetooth driver and would need net for that but i'd find a wifi hotspot and get it that way. after that u could be online anywhere.
    Carrier access code?
    03-03-11 08:20 AM
    Carrier access code?
    I believe that is what they give you when you sign up for their tethering plan that cost you to use your phone as a modem to get the same data as if you didn't.
    03-03-11 08:36 AM
    I believe that is what they give you when you sign up for their tethering plan that cost you to use your phone as a modem to get the same data as if you didn't.
    Okay that makes sense. I figured this couldn't be a free way of doing it cause I'd never heard of this method before.
    03-03-11 09:58 AM
    I have been using tether on my bb too. I found I could not use it without the desktop manager and the new version of it would not work either. It might have been my carrier or location. My advise is to use the destop manager.
    03-03-11 01:30 PM
    you could also try PDANET
    03-03-11 02:38 PM
    Okay that makes sense. I figured this couldn't be a free way of doing it cause I'd never heard of this method before.
    It can be done that way, depends on your carrier. VZW I don't think so.
    03-03-11 03:39 PM
    The following two articles, while somewhat dated, have been of tremendous help to me in tethering my device via Bluetooth:

SLB: Blackberry 8800 – Modem for Laptop via Bluetooth – Step-by-Step Guide

RIM Smartphone How To: Use Your BlackBerry as a Bluetooth Modem for Your PC CIO.com
    03-14-11 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD