Today I installed the latest Desktop Manager, 4.5, and encountered multiple errors. They all had to do with the failure to register GW.dll, GWApi.dll, desktopsetup_pb.dll, and syncae_pb.dll. The error messages read like this:

Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Connectors\ISGroupWise6.5.X\GW.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.
    The cause of the problem has to do with the Windows Registry not having permission to to register the files. This is not a terribly hard problem to fix. Here are the steps.

1. Download the SubInACL tool and install it. By default it will install to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

2. If you are running Windows Vista, click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the item named Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator

3. If you are running an OS other than Windows Vista, go to the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK

4. Type notepad reset.cmd and click yes to create a new file named reset.cmd

5. Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd and then save and close it (or download it from this location and rename it from reset.cmd.txt to reset.cmd):

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators > %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

6. Type reset.cmd and press enter to run the SubInACL tool. This tool will take several minutes to run, and it requires that the user account you are using has administrator privileges on the system. This is why it is necessary to run it from an elevated cmd prompt on Windows Vista. Step 2 above can be used to start an elevated cmd prompt on Windows Vista.

7. After reset.cmd completes, we can manually register the failed DLL files.

Navigate to the directory that the DLL files are in and register them.
    Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Connectors\ISGroupWise6.5.X\ and hit enter.
    Type regsvr32 gw.dll and hit enter
    Type gwapi.dll and hit enter
    Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Desktop Setup\ and hit enter
    Type regsvr32 DesktopSetup_pb.dll and hit enter
    Type C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Action Engine\ and hit enter
    Type regsvr32 SyncAE_pb.dll and hit enter

That's it. When you run Desktop Manager, you may need to reset the Synchronization configuration (as I had to).

Anyone have any corrections to this guide please let me know.

These instructions were copied and modified (step 7) from Aaron Stebner's WebLog : Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions
    Last edited by sunkast; 07-23-08 at 06:56 PM.
    07-23-08 06:48 PM
    Phew...

Have you considered trying a different download package?

I used the 200 Mb English with Media Manager, no problems with a Vista install.
    07-23-08 08:45 PM
    That's what I did. My problem was that the hkey classes root registry didn't have administrator or system permissions.
    07-23-08 08:51 PM
    Thank you Sunkast. I don't use Vista, but I'm sure this will be useful for some members.
    07-23-08 09:06 PM
    That's what I did. My problem was that the hkey classes root registry didn't have administrator or system permissions.
    Were you able to complete the installation after the process?

Interesting. Which version of Windows are you running?
    07-23-08 09:19 PM
    Yeah, once I completed the process, I was able to run the command prompt and manually register the DLLs that failed previously. I'm running XP Pro SP2.
    07-23-08 09:29 PM
    Sweet, thanks for sharing.

Appropriately titled as well. Should be a valuable reference for somebody.
    07-23-08 09:31 PM
    I tried the fix on my new Dell XP SP3 computer, but it did not work.

Downloaded Blackberry Desktop installer 4.50 b016 multilanguage nomediamanager

Ran the installer, got the standard error dialogs.

Ran the subinacl scripts.

Ran the regsrv32 commands as above.

The following errors were observed from the regsrv32 executions:

(dialog)
    DllRegisterServer in gw.dll failed.
    Return code was 0x80070005
    (dialog)
    You are attempting to open a file of type 'Application Extension' (.dll)
    Blah Blah Blah
    [Open With...][Cancel]
    (dialog)
    DllRegisterServer in DesktopSetup_pb.dll failed.
    Return code was 0x80070005
    (dialog)
    LoadLibrary("SyncAE_pb.dll")failed - The specified module could not be found.

Any suggestions?

Matt
    08-29-08 01:49 PM
    Yeah, I have been having problems, too. On my work desktop (WinXP x64) I installed the DesktopManager software without hitch (didn't even need the fix), but on my home desktop (WinXP Pro SP3) I keep getting the:

Error 1904.Module C:...GW.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

(I am also getting the same error message for gwapi.dll, desktopsetup_pb.dll, and syncAE_pb.dll.)

The above fix did not work for me. I was able to register all of the modules after running reset.cmd, but when I would open up Desktop Manager it would never connect to my Curve 8320 vis USB or Bluetooth. With Bluetooth it would recognize the phone and it would even pop up a message saying that it had "detected the device". It would ask if I wanted to connect and I would say yes and then nothing would happen. Another 30-60 seconds later it would pop up the same message saying it detected my Blackberry and asking if I wanted to connect. After about the tenth time of this loop I closed out the Desktop Manager. I uninstalled the software and deleted the program folders and then logged onto the "Administrator" account (my account is also an admin acct, but I logged onto the default admin account that is labeled "Administrator" by Windows). Upon logging into this account, I attempted to upgrade the Windows Installer 3.1 (a la RIM "resolution #5" at: ww.blackberry.com/btsc/articles/963/KB03928_f.SAL_Public.html), but it told me that I have a newer version and couldn't do that (WinXP SP3). So, I registered the atl.dll and tried installing the Desktop Manager software again (I'm installing v4.6 w/ Media Manager). Once again I got the same error messages. So I restarted and attempted to manually register the dll's again, and I'm now getting the same error message for all those dll's:

DllRegisterServer in gw.dll failed.
    Return code was: 0x80070005

So, to sum it all up, I've tried all six "resolutions" by RIM and the first "workaround." The second "workaround" doesn't apply because there is no option to "ignore," there is only one button that is "Ok." I'm starting to get pretty pissed off by all of this and I'm ready to throw the **bleep** Blackberry out the window. I love the phone and it's capabilities, but if I can't use the capabilities then it's pretty much worthless to me... then I should have just gotten an iPhone or a WinMobile device. It makes no sense to me that the software will install just fine on my WinXP x64 machine at work and not on my 32-bit home machine. Usually it's the 32-bit progs on the 64-bit machine that cause problems. Any ideas?

Here are my details:

BB Curve 8320, OS v4.5.0.52 (Platform 2.7.0.66)
    DesktopManager Software v4.6 (w/ MediaManager)
    WinXP Pro, Service Pack 3
    Pentium 4, 2.80GHz
    2GB DD400 Dual-Channel RAM
    08-30-08 12:50 PM
    Just got a Blackberry Curve today to replace a satanic MotoQ - love the phone - hate the fact that I've worked five hours to get software installed on my laptop. Have the exact same error messages as in the original post of this thread. I went through the steps listed to download the software that ran on Notepad - and then the four "fixes". Two of them worked fine, but when I typed in the last command for GWApi.dll, I got a message that said this could goof up my computer (sorry - didn't get it copied) and wondering if I wanted to cancel it or look for a program to enter it....so I cancelled it and went to the next one, which worked fine (Desktop Setup).

Then got this message when trying to fix the last error: RegSvr32 LoadLibrary ("SyncAE_pb.dll") failed. The specified module could not be found.

Any ideas? I KNOW calling Alltel Tech support will mean trouble - their suggestions were that I uninstall antispyware, and that I use version 4.3 instead of 4.6, since that's the one they support (which is what is presently installed on my laptop (Gateway PC running Windows XP), evidently still with a couple errors. I want to sync with Outlook 2007, but afraid to do anything until I get this resolved.
    09-25-08 12:05 AM
    Return code was: 0x80070005

this is a windows problem. it means that either the registry or something in your windows system files is broken/corrupted.

has anyone tried one of the Windows repair options?

if repair doesn't work then nuke and pave: format c: /u /q -> install windows
    Last edited by Sarcasm Detector; 09-25-08 at 12:40 AM.
    09-25-08 12:37 AM
    I'm sorry - really computer illiterate.... I can follow step by step directions, but probably won't understand any of what I'm doing!

Were you replying to my post about the remaining problems with two of the four errors? And are you suggesting I may need to completely wipe my computer and start over with a new install of Windows? Aaarrgggh.

I wondered if there was a problem - haven't been able to get the latest updates to install, but had read in a forum that they may cause problems anyway, so I've just been ignoring it.
    09-25-08 12:49 AM
    I'm sorry - really computer illiterate.... I can follow step by step directions, but probably won't understand any of what I'm doing!

Were you replying to my post about the remaining problems with two of the four errors? And are you suggesting I may need to completely wipe my computer and start over with a new install of Windows? Aaarrgggh.

I wondered if there was a problem - haven't been able to get the latest updates to install, but had read in a forum that they may cause problems anyway, so I've just been ignoring it.
    wait what? are you saying you haven't been able to update windows?

i was replying to those who posted error: Return code was: 0x80070005. This error may or may not be related to Error 1904.Module which is what this thread is about. My suspicion is that the former causes the latter.

0x80070005 = Access Denied. if you are using a super admin account and you get Access Denied you options are limited.
    Last edited by Sarcasm Detector; 09-25-08 at 01:20 AM.
    09-25-08 01:18 AM
    I don't have any problem with the code about an administrator....."just" the Error 1904. Decided to go ahead and install Windows Service Pack 3 last night after running the fix in this forum, and it installed fine - everything works on my laptop as before. But still the problem with Blackberry Desktop. So I uninstalled and reinstalled to see if the Windows Service Pack magically made a difference. Nothing - the same four errors. Tried to go through the steps again, but am wondering if I need to somehow uninstall that Windows download that is in Notepad and start from scratch again? When I ran the regsvr32 this time, it showed 12 things had failed (had "just" 5 last night) - I couldn't write them all down fast enough, of course, but a couple referenced the start menu and Act! 2005, as well as LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAI : 2 The system cannot... and SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\current version\per . Then the notepad automatically closes, so I can't type in the things to install those items directly like instructed, like I think I did last night.

I tried typing the command in at Start-Run, but get a cd error box that says "Windows cannot find 'cd.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search." I hope this is just because of where I tried to type it and not something new.

I'm about ready to give up and suffer with a Q...I still haven't even tried to sync my Curve for fear of somehow screwing things up worse and losing my Outlook data.

Is this more than I can fix on my own with the help of the amazing Crackberry forum?
    09-25-08 01:01 PM
    Blackberry Curve 8320:
    In running Synchronize in Desktop Manager, I am using it with Outloook 2007. The process first synchs the Contacts fine, but then when going through the synch for the Calandar, I get a message that Desktop Manager needs to shut down. I am running 4.6.0.12 Desktop Manager and Handheld 4.5.0.55.
    09-30-08 06:11 PM
    Ladies & Gents
    You may all be pleased to hear that the problem appears not to have been solved. I have just received my new Storm and the 4.7 version of the desktop software and the same problems have occured "Error1904 Module c...."
    and shut down .

I am going to try your suggestions but as some of you have stated I have already wasted many hours in trying to sort this - not exactly the point of having a blackberry.
    If anyone's got any new ideas it would be appreciated
    11-17-08 01:29 PM
    Well I had a problem installing my blackberry desktop manager. when i tried installing it, its says "Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in Safe mode, or if the windows installer is not currently installed. " how do i fix this?
    11-18-08 07:50 PM
    I can install the desktop manage but for some reason its so slow. Its takes an hour for it just to load and I don't know what to do. i originally downloaded the 4.7 but when it was slow I deleted it and downloaded 4.6 but it still the samething. Does anyone know why this is happening?
    11-22-08 10:33 AM
    I completed all the steps layed out in Post #1, registered all the problem dll's and still get this error message:
    "The computer must be connected to the internet in order to initially configure sychronization setting. Please insure that you are able to connect to the internet and try again.
    There are 2 options Retry and cancel. Retry gets same message and yes I'm connected to the internet.

Anyone have any answers before I take this damn Storm back to the store?
    11-28-08 11:33 PM
    Also noted that in Post #1 Step #7 There is one minor error. I've added in Red what needs to be added:

7. After reset.cmd completes, we can manually register the failed DLL files.

Navigate to the directory that the DLL files are in and register them.
    Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Connectors\ISGroupWise6.5.X\ and hit enter.
    Type regsvr32 gw.dll and hit enter
    Type gwapi.dll and hit enter
    Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Desktop Setup\ and hit enter
    Type regsvr32 DesktopSetup_pb.dll and hit enter
    Type cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\IS71 Action Engine\ and hit enter
    Type regsvr32 SyncAE_pb.dll and hit enter
    11-28-08 11:51 PM
    I also noticed that Silverlight will not install on that computer asking for a .net parameter. I wonder if it is all related.
    11-29-08 12:32 PM
    For the last 3 weeks, I was not able to run the Media Manager option from the BlackBerry Desktop Manager for My BB 8330.

After clicking "Media Manager", It would try to configure DAO and an error would appear stating that it cannot locate the DAO.msi file. This caused Roxio to hang and crash (never launch).

I called Sprint Customer Care and they did just told me to download the DM from BlackBerry instead of running from the CD. I reloaded DM a few times, (from CD and from the BlackBerry download version) but that did not help the problem.

I finally looked it up and found this:

http//forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=2334
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Also posted in Crackberry forum dated 11/2007- may help it fixed my issues with Desktop and Roxio.
    1- Unregister it by typing this at the command line-
    regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

2- Register it:
    regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

Go to START/RUN then copy and paste the Unregister command in the run box. Press OK
    Do the same with the second command to register.
    11-30-08 08:37 PM
    Thanks for the input but Roxio is working fine in DM. It's the sync function that keeps telling me I have to have an internet connection to sync. I have an internet connection for one and why would I have to have an internet connection to sync with Outlook. Internet would be required if my contacts were stored at yahoo, etc.
    11-30-08 11:26 PM
    OMG... is it me or is the s/w from RIM pure S#$T!! Trying to install this s/w was one of the worst install experiences in a long time. First the CD that came with my phone was unreadable by both of my optical drives. One drive couldn't even read it and the other was able to read it but the install hung with a big grey screen. Did a ton of research, even at RIM's KB, and what they suggest, the 6 solutions, were pure crap... as if they don't know what the heck they're doing... shooting in the dark. Finally decided to abandon the CD and just download the s/w direct from RIM. And then I hit this .dll registering issue. I mean how am I suppose to update my Storm without this s/w (guess I could rely on OTA.. but c'mon). I swear this alone almost gave me enough reason to get the iPhone and iTunes.

Followed OP's procedure with the correction that was mentioned later, although I think there should be another correction where in step #7 it should say "Type regsvr32 gwapi.dll and hit enter". Anyways... S/W installed without errors. Haven't hooked up my Storm yet... that will be for tomorrow.

Thank goodness for this post. Otherwise my night would have gone on longer. It's 2:30am.. I'm done ranting....

I really can't believe RIM's s/w.
    12-03-08 04:30 AM
    I have completed steps 1-6.
    I am having trouble with step 7.
    How do I navigate to the directory where the DLL files are?
    Where do I enter the info?

Thanks
    01-01-09 11:08 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD