I have a Curve 8900 running 4.6.1.231, and I'm trying to back it up with Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 on Vista. I get this error:

Error backing up database(s).
    [Profiles] 4 of 5 entries retrieved

I've also gotten the same error with BDM 1.0.2 on a Mac. This has been annoying me for a long time, so today I finally put effort into pinning it down, and I discovered that SMS messages are causing it!

Here are my steps to reproduce the problem. All of this is without me physically touching the phone at all; it's connected via USB.

1. I restore the Profiles database to my phone from a known-good backup, in BDM "Backup and Restore" -> "Advanced". It shows there are five Profiles entries.
    2. I back up my phone. The backup works fine, no errors.
    3. I ask a friend to send me an SMS. My phone is in Vibrate mode, so it vibrates and the red light flashes.
    4. Without touching the phone, I then do another backup from BDM. This time, it gives me the error message above, saying that only 4 of 5 entries were retrieved!

I've repeated these steps multiple times to verify the problem.

My guess is that the profiles database is corrupted because I'm using a custom ringtone mp3 file. The ringtone works fine when the phone is in Normal mode. I've even copied it off my media card into internal memory. But even though the phone is in vibrate mode and the ringtone isn't playing, this might be enough to corrupt the profile data.

In the past I've seen the error message go down to "3 of 5 entries received". I'm guessing that happened after I got a phonecall that used a different custom ringtone. I will have to test this further.

I may have gotten to the root of this annoying problem! Can anyone else verify it?
    03-01-10 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD