Hi All,

With all the threads about downgrading back to OS5, and instructions being posted on how to do it, I thought I'd quickly confirm that using Desktop Manager to downgrade is simple and easy. No need to manually wipe the device or remove any of the old OS info -- in DM just go to Update My Device --> View Other Versions --> Pick the OS version you want to downgrade to --> click Install. It did a full backup (although I had also done one manually before starting the downgrade process), removed OS6, installed OS5.975, then restored all my info/apps/data/etc (except some of my custom text shortcut words). It was as easy to go backwards with the OS downgrade as it has been to upgrade to new OS updates.

For reference, you'll also find the following info/steps (among other info) in DM's help screen on "How do I update my device software":
    Connect your device to your computer.
    On the home screen of the BlackBerry� Desktop Software, click Update my device.
    Do one of the following:
    1.To download an update, click Get update.
    2. To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.
    When you receive a confirmation message that the update is complete, you can disconnect your device.

Just thought I'd post up about this since I had been a bit intimidated by reading other posts about all the step-by-step methods to use to first remove the current OS, wipe the device with BBSAK, then install the desired/downgraded OS, but it turns out that DM makes it way easier to do than I had expected.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    03-04-11 12:44 PM
    Hi All,

With all the threads about downgrading back to OS5, and instructions being posted on how to do it, I thought I'd quickly confirm that using Desktop Manager to downgrade is simple and easy. No need to manually wipe the device or remove any of the old OS info -- in DM just go to Update My Device --> View Other Versions --> Pick the OS version you want to downgrade to --> click Install. It did a full backup (although I had also done one manually before starting the downgrade process), removed OS6, installed OS5.975, then restored all my info/apps/data/etc (except some of my custom text shortcut words). It was as easy to go backwards with the OS downgrade as it has been to upgrade to new OS updates.

For reference, you'll also find the following info/steps (among other info) in DM's help screen on "How do I update my device software":
    Connect your device to your computer.
    On the home screen of the BlackBerry� Desktop Software, click Update my device.
    Do one of the following:
    1.To download an update, click Get update.
    2. To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.
    When you receive a confirmation message that the update is complete, you can disconnect your device.

Just thought I'd post up about this since I had been a bit intimidated by reading other posts about all the step-by-step methods to use to first remove the current OS, wipe the device with BBSAK, then install the desired/downgraded OS, but it turns out that DM makes it way easier to do than I had expected.
    Tks for the info BBMINI. I miss my bedside mode. I may give it a go.
    Good Luck
    03-04-11 07:49 PM
    I know this is old, but this helped me out a lot. I too thought I had to wipe my device with BBSAK to downgrade, but I used the Desktop Manager with no problems. It was a very easy process. Thanks!
    12-08-12 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD