Hi All,

I'm planning to go back to OS5 and have read various threads about how to do it, but I still have one clarification question before I begin the process. I actually posted this same question in one of the other Downgrade threads but got no replies so figured I'd post it as an original question.

When using DM to do the downgrade (by choosing the 5.975 software from the DM listings), do I STILL need to wipe the device with BBSAK first or can I just choose the OS I want from DM's listed options, click Install and let DM take me through the steps? That is, if I just pick 5.0.0.975 and click Install, will DM do all the other necessary functions (unistalls, wiping, etc) to make sure that the downgrade installation is done correctly?? Of course, I'll back up first before starting the process.

Thx as always.
    03-03-11 07:30 PM
    First launch desktop manager, connect your device and do a backup. Disconnect the device and close desktop manager. Then delete any OS versions on your computer that you do not intend to install. Download and install the OS you want to install and run the application. Now launch desktop manager again, connect the device and load the OS. Do not disconnect the device until desktop manager indicates the installation is complete. You can also use the AppLoader to downgrade the OS.
    03-03-11 07:42 PM
    Then delete any OS versions on your computer that you do not intend to install. Download and install the OS you want to install and run the application.
    Thanks, DawgMan. ^^^This is where I'm getting confused. As far as I know, I don't have any OS versions on my computer -- they're all already listed in Desktop Manager's list of options to choose from, so on DM it looks like I could just check the box beside 5.975 Downgrade and click the Install button without having to delete anything or download anything (by using "Update My Device", then "View Other Versions" then clicking 5.975 (which also indicates on DM that it's a "Downgrade", which would seem to imply that DM knows you'll be going backwards and that a more current OS will already be on your BB)). What am I missing?

Also still wanting to confirm if I have to delete OS6 before using DM to install 5.975.

I just copied the following from DM's help screen on "How do I update my device software", which doesn't mention anything about first removing the existing OS:

Connect your device to your computer.
    On the home screen of the BlackBerry� Desktop Software, click Update my device.
    Do one of the following:
    1.To download an update, click Get update.
    2. To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.
    When you receive a confirmation message that the update is complete, you can disconnect your device.

Sorry I'm being such a doof about this process. Just don't want to screw anything up but also don't necessarily want to make it any more complicated than it needs to be. Thx again.
    03-03-11 08:09 PM
    By the way, I've also checked the various Research In Motion folders and Desktop Manager folders in my Program Files but haven't seen anything related to OS versions. Lots of other stuff is in those folders, of course, but nothing that specifically looks like I would have to delete it to get it out of the way before reverting to 5.975. Thx again.
    03-03-11 08:18 PM
    No you do not have to wipe the device, the OS you want to load will install over the one currently on the device.
    BBMINI likes this.
    03-03-11 08:45 PM
    ^^^ Excellent. Thanks again.
    03-03-11 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD