so i just installed desktop manager for the first time since i bought the phone in may. first of all, is it actually required to update to the 5.0 software? second, how do i get the password? i don't remember it, and i don't want everything to erase. think verizon would know it? please help
    10-29-09 10:20 PM
    No, it's not required. I can't see why you wouldn't but to each his own.

As far as password....what's asking for a password? If your trying to connect to Desktop Manager via Bluetooth, you tell it what the password will be. If this isn't what your talking about please post more detail
    10-29-09 10:38 PM
    ^^^ when i actually plug the storm in through USB, it asks for a Device password and allows me 10 tries. and i mean do i need the desktop manager to install the 5.0 software
    10-29-09 10:41 PM
    I've never seen that. I would waste 3 tries, #1 - the last four digits of your phone number. #2 - 0000. #3 - 1234. If they don't work then I'd get on the land line to vzw.

There are several other ways to load the OS. You can use the Apploader. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader\Loader.exe

There are also utilities such as BBSAK which you can find at RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][10/25/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.7.0
    Last edited by andreseng; 10-29-09 at 10:54 PM.
    10-29-09 10:51 PM
    yea, when i load the app loader, it asks for the device password. i really don't want it to wipe my phone clean
    10-30-09 12:10 AM
    anyone else have this problem?
    10-30-09 11:00 AM
    nevermind...i'm stupid. you can close this thread. i got it now lol
    10-30-09 11:21 AM
    nevermind...i'm stupid. you can close this thread. i got it now lol
    Even so. It might help someone else if you post what happened. You know there's another one born everyday...
    10-30-09 03:09 PM
    Even so. It might help someone else if you post what happened. You know there's another one born everyday...
    lol well what had happened was....when i set up my password to unlock the screen on the phone, i didnt' switch to the numbers, so i just remembered the number combination. when i went to enter the password (i.e. 1987) in the computer, it didn't work. but the letters would be ".wtp", which were all the first letter of each number. (.=1, 9=w, 8=t, 7=p). so i entered the correct combination, and that worked. i called up my friend, who is a rep at verizon. she's the one who sold me the phone, and i told her what happened, and apparently that happens all the time.
    10-30-09 04:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD