CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Device Manager Requires a Password

I upgraded Desktop Manager to 6.0.2.42 yesterday, and for the first time Device Manager is requiring a password. That means that when I dock my Torch I have to put in a password for Device Manager, again for Desktop Manager, and if I want to see the SD card from the computer, I also have to enter the password on the Torch.

I didn't have to provide a password for Device Manager prior to doing this upgrade. Anyone know if there's a way to turn off the requirement for a password from Device Manager since the device itself already provides the security of the same password?

Thanks.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

If you have a password on the device, Device Manager will require the same password. If it didn't, you could use DM to get the personal data from a password protected device. DM would be a way around the password. That's unacceptable.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

That's incorrect for the Torch, at least.

When I put my Torch in the dock cradle, I first have to provide a password to unlock the device, after which I'm presented with another dialog with 3 choices:
    1. USB Drive
    2. Sync Media
    3. Charge Only
    If I select USB Drive, I have to provide my password again.

Then, on the computer, I have to provide my password to the Device Manager, and then again to Desktop Manager. That's 4 times I have to provide my password - 3 if all I want to do is see my drive as a USB drive.

Device Manager did not ask for a password in the previous version I had installed (I *think* it was version 5.x). I would really prefer not to have to put my password in so many times...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

It's possible OS6 operates differently. I don't have a Torch or OS6, so I can't compare either to OS5 and a 9650. If your BlackBerry is locked when you plug it into your PC, you'll have to enter the password to unlock the BlackBerry, and again to access Desktop Manager. You will also have to enter the password for USB drive mode.

You should not have to enter the password for Device Manager AND Desktop Manager. I don't understand that part.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Exactly. I don't think I'm getting any extra security for having to enter the same password so many times! :-)
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,760 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    It's possible OS6 operates differently. I don't have a Torch or OS6, so I can't compare either to OS5 and a 9650. If your BlackBerry is locked when you plug it into your PC, you'll have to enter the password to unlock the BlackBerry, and again to access Desktop Manager. You will also have to enter the password for USB drive mode.

You should not have to enter the password for Device Manager AND Desktop Manager. I don't understand that part.
    I only enter the password twice. Once on the device when I connect the USB cable, and once when I open Desktop Manager.

I'm running OS 6 on the device, and Desktop Manager 6.0.2.42.

The only time I need to enter the password again is if I want to restore a backup, since my backups are encrypted.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

That's the behavior I'm used to. So, why is my device manager also asking for a password after I upgraded to 6.0.2.42?
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm running Desktop Manager 6.0.2.44. After unlocking the BB using password on the device, I plug into laptop over USB.

Prompted by popup:

Unlock Blackberry Device
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    PIN: XXXXXXX
    Password (1/10)

I cannot enter the password successfully (that works directly on the device) using the laptop. What gives? Anyone have a solution to this?

Cheers
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

The two passwords are the same, but the pc keyboard is not the same as your BlackBerry keyboard. Since password entry is masked, you can't see what you typed on the BlackBerry keyboard. If you don't press alt or shift before pressing a key on the BlackBerry, you enter a lower case letter. For example, if you assume your password is numeric, 1234, but you aren't pressing alt before each digit, you are actually entering wers. You can't see what you entered, and the BlackBerry doesn't care, as long as you enter the password the same way every time. But 1234 on the PC keyboard really is 1234, not wers, so when you type 1234 on the pc, the password fails. The solution is to try the shifted and alt'd variants of what you think your password is. In my example, try wers and WERS. Be careful. You only have 10 tries to get it right. After 10 incorrect attempts, the BlackBerry will delete all your personal data.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi guys tonight I connected my PB to my mac and Device Manager asked for a password (i hadn't even set one) no password means my mac won't read it. So i disconnected the usb, went to Storeage and Sharing and turned "password protect" on. Then I entered a password. When i reconnected my PB it asked for the password and I entered it and now i am connected. Why it suddenly demanded a password I don't know but its good to know this workaround