Users frequently post with problems entering their password on Desktop Manager. Desktop Manager won't take the password they normally use on the BlackBerry. What's the problem?

Desktop Manager is asking for the same password you use to unlock your BlackBerry. The two passwords are the same, but the PC keyboard is not the same as your BlackBerry keyboard. Why does that matter?

Since password entry is masked when you create your BlackBerry password, you can't see what you typed on the BlackBerry keyboard. Many people assume passwords are numeric by default, but they are not. If you don't press alt or shift before pressing a key on the BlackBerry, you enter a lower case letter. For example, if you thought you were entering the numeric password 1234, but you didn't press alt before each digit, you actually entered wers. You can't see what you entered, and the BlackBerry doesn't care, as long as you enter the password the same way every time.

But 1234 on the PC keyboard really is 1234, not wers, so when you type 1234 on the PC, the password fails.

The solution is to try the shifted and alt'd variants of what you think your password is. In my example, try wers and WERS. Be careful. You only have 10 tries to get it right. After 10 incorrect attempts, the BlackBerry will delete all your personal data.
    05-21-11 09:52 AM
    Great post Jeff, I'm sure this will help A LOT of people.
    05-21-11 01:22 PM
    NO WONDER my DM wasnt accepting it... Thanks mate
    07-31-11 09:10 AM
    My experiences:
    Any form of the password entry for the Playbook under the previous to 2.0 version OS fails and I always had to remove the PB password and then set Backup and then reset the password on PB, now that OS 2.0 is installed, it cleared up the previous OS bug and Desktop Manager will now accept the password if keyed correectly to match the PB entry....not that I dispute the post but I have IT background....Happy Now.... didn't mind the extra steps before as it forced necessary password change policies since a personal and work unit.
    03-13-12 03:20 PM
    I feel so stupid for not realising this, but a big thanks for this post making me realise!!

Cheers
    C7.
    04-02-12 03:27 AM
    Golly! That totally makes sense. Thanks!
    10-30-12 07:21 AM
    Youre a life sver! Really I was getting so frustrated with the pw problem for so long! Thaaaanks!!
    12-23-12 10:45 AM
    I thought that already. There is a checkbox that says show password, so you can see what you're typing in (this is using Blackberry 9790) however still can't login.
    It seems like the two are not synch'ing up for me? any suggestions.
    In addition I can't seem to connect to wifi, my BB can see the wifi network but when I try to connect it just keeps failing?
    02-18-13 07:03 AM
    Any answers on emma's post.having da same problem.please help out guys
    04-07-14 10:17 AM
    Always make sure your pc keyboard is on the correct language, too. I routinely toggle between two languages that use two different keyboard layouts using the language bar on my laptop. That would throw off Desktop Software password entry.
    04-07-14 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD