Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    PIN
    LPJM049H LiveProfile
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Desktop Manager, WINE, Ubuntu... possible?

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to run DM under WINE with Ubuntu? I'm still new with this OS, just decided to make the transition from windows... and am so far liking it much better. I looked into the Barry project, but was just curious to see if anyone has been able to get it to run with WINE. (before I start doing things I don't know how to do and crash the system) Using Ubuntu 9.04 here.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Well, here's the thing - as far as I know no-one has got the Dm working under Wine. The AppDB for it says garbage and certainly I couldn't get it installed on the 64bit version of Ubuntu.

However although Barry looks daunting it is possible to get it working - don't be put off by the command line stuff - once its working you can do most things through the multi-sync GUI.

Iam just getting to grips with this myself - having an issue with Barrybackup at the moment - but I see glimmers of hope! LEt me know how you get on with Barry - I am hoping this project will deveolp into a really useful tool over the next year or so...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    PIN
    22DF7807

Default ubuntu

I just recently installed ubuntu 9.10 on my machine that WAS running xp, but bsod settled in now i rely on ubuntu or my ibook.....UNIX holla!!. I just wish there was an easier or working solution from using wine to utilize the desktop software. that or a port for linux distros.
    NYHXC
    Skateboarding
    Apple
    BlackBerry & Android
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    "I don't know anything about anything...I will however steer you wrong if you like!"
    Linux users can use "barrybackup" to backup their devices.

For USB WiFi adapters use Encore ENUWI-G2

CrackBerry Newbie

i have gotten past many errors in wine and DM, but not quite got it working
    i cant get the barry gui to work, but can do ALOT via command line
    you can overwrite older os files with younger os files. ive done several files before finding one that bricked the phone..
    would like to rewrite os in barryy. would like to talk to other people about this
    yahoo at me
    -0-
    CrackBerry User

Default I hope we find a way

I'm a newish Linux user, at about 6months into it currently. Deff not going back to Win. I've been able to backup/switch/restore on a diff Linux box (Mint 12), but it deff took quite a bit of tinkering to get it to work. Maybe I will give Barry another go and see if I can become more familiar with it since it seems to be the only working solution at the moment.
    I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 on this box. Maybe there is more support in the Ubuntu forums. They love to guide people through linux issues so as to help people make the switch and adapt to the better (virus-free) side of pc life