Ok gang, I did some looking around and couldn't find the help I'm looking for. Here's the deal -

I had my computer working fine and Desktop Manager worked fine. Winxp 64bit on a Dell machine. Everything was good. But we recently upgraded the computer to Windows 7, still 64bit, and now my Desktop Manager won't recognize my phone (Curve 8310). I installed the latest veersion of Desktop Manager, 5.0 or what ever, so it isn't an issue of the old version, it should work. Any ideas on why it won't recognize the phone? When I plug the cable into the phone it begins charging just fine. When I start Desktop Manager the phone goes to that screen that says "Connected To Desktop" for a coule seconds and then goes back to the regular desktop screen and the Desktop Manager doesn't sync. I can't figure this one out. Help?
    06-04-10 12:20 PM
    I got the same issue with the 8330. I tried reinstalling the software and drivers. I also tried Swiss army knife and it doesn't recognize the BB either.
    06-04-10 04:14 PM
    Do you have the USB drivers?

Check C:>Program Files (x86)>Common Files>Research in Motion>USB Drivers.
    06-04-10 04:25 PM
    i have no problems with 7 as it installed the drivers by itself and all works fine, anyway have you tried to connect to different USB port?
    06-04-10 04:29 PM
    i have no problems with 7 as it installed the drivers by itself and all works fine, anyway have you tried to connect to different USB port?
    I am also running 64-bit Win 7 with no problems.

To the OP, have you checked Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers>USB Root Hub>Power Management and made sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked.
    06-04-10 04:35 PM
    Ok, I did install the USB drivers from the RIM web site. Didn't help at all.

Lak611 - 'Device Manager', you talking on the computer? Haven't checked that. I'll have to look at it Monday. It's my work computer and I'm gettin' my weekend on. :-)
    06-05-10 01:19 AM
    Ok, I did install the USB drivers from the RIM web site. Didn't help at all.

Lak611 - 'Device Manager', you talking on the computer? Haven't checked that. I'll have to look at it Monday. It's my work computer and I'm gettin' my weekend on. :-)
    Yes, Device Manager on the PC. I gave you the path.

Now that you mention "work computer" that gives me some additional clues. Do they disable the USB ports? For instance, if they were concerned about viruses from flash drives, they might only allow USB ports that charge. What happens if you connect a flash drive?

Can you try a home PC, rather than a work PC?
    06-05-10 10:34 AM
    Ok, yes the device manager on the PC is set the way you stated.

Yes, it is a work computer, but that shouldn't matter. This same computer worked fine the day before we upgraded to Win7 from WinXP. The phone also works fine on my home computer.

We don't use anything to block usb jump drives here at the office, they work fine.
    06-07-10 01:04 PM
    Woohoo! I got it figured out, finally. I had version 4.5, when I upgraded to 5.0 it worked fine.
    06-07-10 04:03 PM
    Woohoo! I got it figured out, finally. I had version 4.5, when I upgraded to 5.0 it worked fine.
    Awesome! I'm glad it worked for you.
    06-07-10 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD