I got my Blackberry Curve 8320 in Nov, and I have yet to get the Desktop Manager to work. I have upgraded to the above version, following all the instructions about a clean install. It worked the first time to backup my data, but hasn't worked since. And, I have yet to install a .alx or .cod file as my DM does not recognize these files. I can see these files in Windows Explorer, but DM cannot seem to see them.

I use Windows Vista, 64 bit, all security updates have been installed, on my laptop which has plenty of ram, a dual core processor, and tons of hard drive space.

Any help would be much appreciated before I pull all my hair out!

Linda
    02-04-10 06:51 PM
    I use Desktop Manager 5.0.1.28 on a dual-core laptop with 3GB of RAM and 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2. Here are the system requirements from RIM:
    To install BlackBerry� Desktop Software v5.0, you'll need to meet the minimum system requirements listed below.
    Hardware Requirements
    * Intel� compatible 486 or higher computer that is compliant with USB 1.1 or higher and has an available USB port
    * Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista™, Windows 7™
    BlackBerry� devices
    * BlackBerry� Device Software v4.1 or later

Perhaps 64-bit Vista is the problem. That's the only difference between your configuration and mine that I can see from what you've said.
    02-04-10 08:18 PM
    I used to have 64-bit Vista. Now I have 64-bit 7. Are you running DM as an Administrator? Vista can be funny with the UAC. If you don't want to disable UAC on Vista, you might want to try running DM as an Administrator.
    02-04-10 08:27 PM
    Thanks for clarifying that DM will run with 64-bit Vista. I turned off UAC and forgot about it.
    02-04-10 08:29 PM
    Another thing I'd suggest is to make sure that DM is installed for all users of the PC, not just the Administrator. If it's not set up that way, I would go to Control Panel>Programs and Features>Uninstall a Program and delete DM. Then reinstall it for all users.
    Last edited by lak611; 02-04-10 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    02-04-10 08:34 PM
    I used to have 64-bit Vista. Now I have 64-bit 7. Are you running DM as an Administrator? Vista can be funny with the UAC. If you don't want to disable UAC on Vista, you might want to try running DM as an Administrator.

I am the only user on my laptop, and I am running as Administrator. Also, pardon my ignorance, but what does "UAC" mean - User Accounts?

Also, I've done the uninstall and reinstall several times with no change in the problem. I've also tried downloading a fresh copy of DM in case the copy I got is corrupted. So, I'm fresh out of ideas.
    02-05-10 01:03 PM
    UAC is "user account control. "

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 01:16 PM
    I just switched from a Palm Centro to a BB 8530 Curve because the Centro battery wouldn't last through the day. The BB device works fine, but the BB Desktop software wouldn't load, and when I downloaded the latest software from the web, I wasn't able to import ascii contacts because of an error indicating that wireless sync is enabled. I don't have wireless sync on the device. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    02-05-10 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD