Can anyone tell me why I should or shouldn't use the DM to do the installation of an OS upgrade?
    (I actually did for my Bold and it worked fine)

Thanks
    Bonnie
    09-24-10 01:02 PM
    Most of us just like the extra CONTROL we get from doing it ourselves.

That, and, I've seen more than a few OS loads hang, or take forever running through DM. That don't when you launch the Loader.exe yourself. It doesn't make sense, because all DM is doing is firing that off for you. But, it happens.
    09-24-10 01:17 PM
    I've done it many times both ways and have never had a problem using DM (I use 4.6). As long as the back-up restore option is selected, using DM to restore 3rd party apps makes the load a breeze.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-10 03:35 PM
    thank you both, WolfmanRobby and exelant

I am relieved I haven't done something completely wrong. Oddly enough with the DM 6.0 I didn't loose any applications either. So I am liking this version although I will still continue to use BBSAK too.

Thanks again for the info

Bonnie
    09-24-10 06:37 PM
    BBSAK is a great way to make a backup of your apps in case DM misses one, or a dozen of them!
    09-24-10 07:20 PM
    Hi again WolfmanRobby

I did download BBSAK and I did make a backup of my apps.. A week or so later I went back to make a new backup and I couldn't get into BBSAK to make another backup ! Today I thought I'd try to open it again and my computer said there was nothing there to open!
    So it is possible for me to get another download of BBSAK v 1.7 ?

Thanks
    Bonnie
    09-24-10 07:34 PM
    Get 1.8 while you are at it. It was just updated, there is an article in the CB Blog on the frontpage.

09-25-10 06:57 AM
    BBSAK is very tempermental when it comes to connecting to your device

I fiind it easier to open DM first, let that connect, and then open BBSAK.

BBSAK 1.8 seems to work better, and even closes DM once it has connected
    09-25-10 07:04 AM
    BBSAK 1.8 seems to work better, and even closes DM once it has connected
    I haven't updated to 1.8 yet, but I've never been able to get BBSAK to connect if DM, or BBMCP were open and connected to the device.

It is a very quirky little app. But, it's value far surpasses the quirkiness.
    09-25-10 09:46 PM
    I've always preferred BBMCP. Back on point, DM is fine, but if you use higher than 4.6 and leave the internet connected, it can cause problems. Also, the app check list on DM6 is nowhere near as friendly to use.
    09-25-10 09:53 PM
    So this BBSAK, I hear it mentioned so very often that it seems I'm falling short by not having it, but what I haven't heard is if it's an app stored on the phone, or something through the desktop manager and/or stored on the computer and used with a data cable. I get the feeling that it's an app, but I don't find it anywhere. Is it a Crackberry app, rather than BB?
    09-25-10 10:06 PM
    09-25-10 10:14 PM
    ah, never mind then, no PC here. thanks for the info BBdub!
    09-25-10 10:18 PM
    BBSAK for me, which also uses Loader.exe from it's quick launch buttons

09-26-10 02:27 AM
    Yeah, I used to use BBCMP a lot. but, every time I tried to shrink the OS using it's tools, I log BBM/App world and could not even get them back by manually putting the COD files back.

I have it installed, but I can't remember the last time I used it. The last few OS loads I've done, I've:
    - Done a backup of my phone with DM
    - downloaded and installed the os (Deleted the Vendor file)
    - backup 3rd part apps with BBSAK
    - Wipe the phone with BBSAK
    - Run Shrink-a-os to shrink the build
    - Launched loader from within shrink-a-os
    09-26-10 11:06 AM
    hi guys
    Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't be able to get back into BBSAK after I backed up my apps to it?

Also where do I go to download the latest version of BBSAK because everywhere I've looked I cannot seem to find an actual "download here" place to click on.
    Any help would be so appreciated.

Thanks
    Bonnie
    09-26-10 12:42 PM
    Thank you all

I am going to give the suggestions a few tries (because heaven knows it'll take me more than once)

Thanks for your help
    09-27-10 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD