Hey all, i have been trying to figure this out for a while, and its not model specific, its blackberry general, so i think this is the best place for this question.

I have a storm, its setup on my company BES and also i have a personal e-mail account on it with BIS. So basically i use BES and BIS as many do. I want to update my storm's OS at HOME, so i need to install desktop manager. I do not use desktop manager at work, only use BES sync over the air. So when i go to install i get 2 options, i dont know which to choose. I have found people saying that both option is right and both is wrong. So I am trying to get a 100% def. answer from someone who has done this very thing...

Some people say if you choose the wrong option it will disconnect your BES whenever you use desktop manager. but no one can tell me which the right or wrong option is for my specific issue.

it says:

"Integrate With A Personal E-mail Account:

Select this option if you purchased your device in a store or want to create a new e-mail address using the Blackberry Internet Service"
    I dont want to create an e-mail account, i already BIS and BES setup.

The other option is:

"Integrate with a work e-mail account:

Select this option if you use a Blackberry Enterprise server and want to access your work e-mails AND your personal e-mails on your device. "
    Wouldnt the 2nd option be more suiitable for me? I have BES (work) and BIS (personal) email on my device just as the 2nd option says.

Again, i am installing at HOME, not on my BES/work network. BUt i have BES and BIS installed on the device. Which option is the correct one to choose?

Thanks
    01-01-09 05:41 PM
    Either one should work fine. I recently connected to a hosted exchange and I chose the personal email option when I installed DM. No issues so far.
    01-01-09 06:03 PM
    You need to select the second option. If you select the first option, the access to BES will not be installed and you will not be able to access your BES account.

You will probably have to re-setup your BES access after the OS install, and will need the BES password from your Admin, so don't do this on a holiday weekend -- you will be cut off from access until it is re-setup. Depending on the setup on the system side your admin may need to do setup as well.

Using option 2 the BIS access comes along for the ride -- you still have to set up the BIS accounts on your provider.blackberry.com site (which you evidently already have done).

Hope that helps.
    01-01-09 07:30 PM
    You need to select the second option. If you select the first option, the access to BES will not be installed and you will not be able to access your BES account.
    I don't think this is accurate. I did enterprise activation just fine months after I installed DM with the first option for BIS only.
    01-01-09 07:40 PM
    i am the admin, so doing the re-activation is not an issue.

the thing about the 2nd option is, i think thats for installing a desktop manager linked to the BES. Since i am doing this at home and not on my bes/work network and dont have a vpn connection, i think that will be an issue.

i am going to configure BES on the phone, not through desktop manager.

but this is exactly what i meant when i said i have gotten answers both ways. 2 responses so far, 2 different answers
    01-01-09 08:15 PM
    At home set it up with BIS. There are no negative effects. If you are not on your work network at home and DM will not be able to conenct to your messaging system.
    01-01-09 08:22 PM
    At home set it up with BIS. There are no negative effects. If you are not on your work network at home and DM will not be able to conenct to your messaging system.
    thanks thats what i just did. i am going to do the backup and then the upgrade.

is the app loader backup that is done during the install of the new OS, different in some way than the backup that is done in desktop manager? more comprehensive? more stuff backed up?
    01-01-09 08:43 PM
    is the app loader backup that is done during the install of the new OS, different in some way than the backup that is done in desktop manager? more comprehensive? more stuff backed up?
    Should be the same thing but it does not actually save a backup to your computer it is just used to restore everything back to your BB after the upgrade. That's why it's recommended to do a manual backup first.
    01-01-09 08:45 PM
    I just upgraded to .85 now my desktop manager doesnt recgnize my phone.any ideas?
    01-02-09 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD