I recently purchased a Blackberry 8900 and happily installed the Desktop Manager. It installs and works fine (managed to do the synchronization with Outlook). Unfortunately, once the system is restarted, all **** breaks loose The XP firewall fails to start, the DM, (when I try to run it) is disabled. Not possible to connect the phone, and the system gets generally unresponsive and impossible to shutdown. Only removal of the DM software solves the problems...

I already tried installing several times (both versions from CD and the newest from the net). Each time the behaviour is identical - works fine until reboot. Then requires uninstallation.

Everything happens on Windows XP SP3.

Any ideas? Anyone? I like the phone, but this DM software is a nightmare

Krzysztof.
    07-08-09 07:17 PM
    Yeah Im running an older DM, my 8900 is new as well. I didn't even bother to upgrade the DM. It synced up fine with the older version. Not sure what the problem is.
    07-08-09 07:21 PM
    If it is currently installed. Please run through the clean uninstall of the DTM 4.7, by that i mean after using control panel to remove the program. Run the regedit in the command prompt.

Under hkey user current, scroll down to software and open.
    There should be a RIM folder, right click and delete.

restart your pc

Download the software from blackberry.com

Remember to save the file rather than running, when the download is finish it will prompt to run file.

install will be typical

And you will choose to integrate with personal email.

Once it is done.

Restart the pc.
    07-08-09 07:27 PM
    after using control panel to remove the program. Run the regedit in the command prompt.

What exactly does that mean?
    07-08-09 08:02 PM
    Download and use DM 4.6 instead of 4.7.
    07-08-09 08:03 PM
    If it is currently installed. Please run through the clean uninstall of the DTM 4.7, by that i mean after using control panel to remove the program. Run the regedit in the command prompt.

restart your pc

Download the software from blackberry.com

Remember to save the file rather than running, when the download is finish it will prompt to run file.

install will be typical

And you will choose to integrate with personal email.

Once it is done.

Restart the pc.
    Uninstalled DM 4.7 using the Control Panel. No RIM folder in the registry afterwards (searched the whole registry). Loading new software from blackberry.com not possible - browser hangs when trying to save the file. Restarting not possible - hard reset needed. After starting again - no previous problems - XP firewall starts fine, system appears normal. Downloading the software from blackberry.com is again possible - downloaded DM v4.7 without media manager. Installing the software again (typical installation, personal email). Finished without problems.

Before restarting the computer again, I try to run the DM. Runs fine - found some updates for the applications on the phone and installed them. I also checked for updates of the Desktop Manager software (using the link in DM itself) and it found one (111MB) and installed it. DM then asked to be restarted, which I did. The computer restarted without problems (unlike before).

After the reboot - the same old story. The XP firewall does not start, the DM start disabled and never changes its state, the computer gets unresponsive, it is impossible to shut it down, etc., etc.

Hence - the proposed solution does not work. It appears that I will need to install and uninstall the DM each time I want to do any synchronization... Great.

Krzysztof.
    07-08-09 08:35 PM
    Tried also with DM 4.6 - exactly the same behaviour. Everything is fine until system restart. Then - it imposssible to use. I give up (and start to think why o why didn't I stay with my Nokia... - there even the sync with Bluetooth worked)

I am disappointed how such a great product could be let down by simple sync software.

Krzysztof.
    07-08-09 09:10 PM
    Something is clearly wrong with your computer (reads: windows) not with the Blackberry or its software.

P.S. I just wanted to add that I use XP SP3 and experience zero problems with Desktop Manager. I use version 4.6.
    Last edited by aristile; 07-08-09 at 09:25 PM.
    07-08-09 09:18 PM
    Something is clearly wrong with your computer (reads: windows) not with the Blackberry or its software.

P.S. I just wanted to add that I use XP SP3 and experience zero problems with Desktop Manager. I use version 4.6.
    Right.... It is only my Windows that causes problems to the magnificant Blackberry software... Perhaps I should uninstall Windows than? How come Nokia software never had problems with my Windows? And reading the different forums it seems that a lot of people seem to have problems with their "Windows" or their "Outlooks" once installed the DM software... Strange isn't?

While I agree that clearly there is some problem between Windows and Blackberry, I would still blame Balckberry. If it is not installed, my Windows works fine. No other software has any problems. Any I can use Bluetooth. In DM (regardless of the version) the Bluetooth option is inactive and the help obviously points out to problems with Windows Bluetooth drivers, pairing, etc. I have my Blackberry successfuly paired with Windows, but it does not help in any way for the DM to discover that the Bluetooth exists. Clearly a buggy piece of code. The fact that it runs OK on some system is not really an argument. Any buggy code will run on "some" systems. If you do not believe me - try "ReactOS"

Looking forward to a better DM for Blackberry or some third party application... Anybody tried to sync using MS Active Sync? It reports as available, when I do the Bluetooth pairing...

Krzysztof.
    07-09-09 01:11 AM
    Good luck with your problem.
    07-09-09 01:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD