I'm running the above version of Blackberry desktop manager and Windows Vista on my laptop.

I cannot for the life of me get the bl**dy thing to connect to my Storm. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Desktop Manager, deleting the device drivers, plugging it into various USB ports so its redetected. I've also tried pulling the battery on the Storm and nothing works.

The wife's in exactly the same predicament, she's running Vista , has a Storm and the same version of desktop manager. Can anyone offer any advice? I've looked around the net and can see other people having similar probs with the Blackberry Bold & Vista but nothing is helping me fix this issue.
    11-15-08 08:16 PM
    I'm running the above version of Blackberry desktop manager and Windows Vista on my laptop.

I cannot for the life of me get the bl**dy thing to connect to my Storm. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Desktop Manager, deleting the device drivers, plugging it into various USB ports so its redetected. I've also tried pulling the battery on the Storm and nothing works.

The wife's in exactly the same predicament, she's running Vista , has a Storm and the same version of desktop manager. Can anyone offer any advice? I've looked around the net and can see other people having similar probs with the Blackberry Bold & Vista but nothing is helping me fix this issue.
    Give me a few minutes to find the info. I'm not very familiar with Vista but I'll find the info you need. I'm pretty sure you have to install as Administrator.
    11-15-08 08:18 PM

You have t-mobile? you have a storm? your in the united states?
    11-15-08 08:19 PM
    Heres a thread I started for those having trouble with Vista and the Vendor XML file. But I feel sure if you read through this you'll find the info you need to install the DM properly.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/who-...se-read-79102/
    11-15-08 08:21 PM
    Give me a few minutes to find the info. I'm not very familiar with Vista but I'll find the info you need. I'm pretty sure you have to install as Administrator.
    I do believe CX is right. For me I have to run many things as an administrator for it to go through. Example, I cannot use a PTT button in Ventrillo unless I run the program as an admin. Try it, and let us know whats up.
    11-15-08 08:24 PM
    Just curious, but if he's got a brand new storm and the latest DM version, why would it be necessary to delete the vendor file? Isn't that only necessary when using another carrier's OS release?
    11-15-08 08:28 PM
    Just curious, but if he's got a brand new storm and the latest DM version, why would it be necessary to delete the vendor file? Isn't that only necessary when using another carrier's OS release?
    It's not. And he's not installing a OS. I only said the main focus of that thread was about Vista and deleting the Vendor XML file. But I think he'll find the info he needs on installing the DM because theres a lot of talk about how to do things with Vista.
    11-15-08 08:30 PM
    Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know if 4.7 is available to download on the net yet?
    11-15-08 08:31 PM
    zomac,

That's what I was saying. I never knew their was a 4.7.
    11-15-08 08:33 PM
    Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know if 4.7 is available to download on the net yet?
    No it's not yet.
    11-15-08 08:33 PM

4.6 is the most current available...weird 4.3 is the most current available for UK at the RIM site.
    11-15-08 08:49 PM
    Thx for the info.

I have been looking at Blackberry's site and I see the 4.6. First BB so I was trying to download everything I can to get this bad boy setup and running after I get it.
    11-15-08 08:56 PM
    This is more then likely a driver issue. It has nothing to do with running DM as Admin. 4.7 is not much different then 4.6 or 4.5 for that matter. Plug in your Storm and look in Device Manager in Windows. Find the BB and right-click remove it. Then unplug it, wait 10 secs and plug it back in. Let it load up drivers for it automatically. Then verify that it's properly listed in Device Manager without any "!" marks on it. Then go into Desktop Manager and check the USB connections and tell it to detect if needed or just pick it from the dropdown choices. It should be listed.

This happened most likely because you plugged in your Storm into your PC BEFORE you loaded DM.
    11-15-08 10:14 PM
    4.6 is the most current available...weird 4.3 is the most current available for UK at the RIM site.
    What version of Desktop Manager is packed with the BlackBerry Storm?

I don't have a CD drive at home (doh!) and can only find v4.6 on the BB site which doesn't work except to sync contacts on the 9500/Storm
    11-16-08 05:23 AM
    This is more then likely a driver issue. It has nothing to do with running DM as Admin. 4.7 is not much different then 4.6 or 4.5 for that matter. Plug in your Storm and look in Device Manager in Windows. Find the BB and right-click remove it. Then unplug it, wait 10 secs and plug it back in. Let it load up drivers for it automatically. Then verify that it's properly listed in Device Manager without any "!" marks on it. Then go into Desktop Manager and check the USB connections and tell it to detect if needed or just pick it from the dropdown choices. It should be listed.

This happened most likely because you plugged in your Storm into your PC BEFORE you loaded DM.
    I appreciate your advise but I deffo didnt plug it in first. I support Blackberry's for a large organisation ( 800 + ) and always always install DM first. This is the first time I've installed it on Vista and the first time I've seen DM 4.7. The difference I've noticed in 4.7 is there's no option to detect. It's USB or nothing.
    11-16-08 06:56 AM
    What version of Desktop Manager is packed with the BlackBerry Storm?

I don't have a CD drive at home (doh!) and can only find v4.6 on the BB site which doesn't work except to sync contacts on the 9500/Storm
    4.7 is packed with the Storm, it's not up on the RIM site for d/l...
    11-16-08 07:00 AM
    I appreciate your advise but I deffo didnt plug it in first. I support Blackberry's for a large organisation ( 800 + ) and always always install DM first. This is the first time I've installed it on Vista and the first time I've seen DM 4.7. The difference I've noticed in 4.7 is there's no option to detect. It's USB or nothing.

How is it showing in device manager?
    Have you tried a lower version, another thread the OP had no luck with 4.7, but had success with 4.6 off the web...

Sync worked once I installed the DM software, 4.7 on the CD did not install, but 4.6 from the web was fine.

Simeon.
    11-16-08 07:09 AM
    You have t-mobile? you have a storm? your in the united states?
    sorry man, didn't mean to confuse you

I'm in the UK. Have a Curve on T-mobile as my works device and I bought a Storm on Friday as my personal device. Once I get a few niggling problems sorted I'll do a full review. On saying that, you guys probably don't need any more user reviews, seems to be plenty on here already.
    11-16-08 07:11 AM
    not sure if this will help but found this in another thread
    On attaching the BB 9000 to the sync cable, it immediately goes into Mass Storage device and asks for the password to be keyed on the handheld. I do that, and it goes to the Windows file option (what do you want to do with this connected device) - select "take no action" and then - finally get to the Desktop Manager. Very annoying, Blackberry and Desktop Manager all running latest versions of OS. This is my 5th BB and never had this happen before.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/pro...er-help-86225/
    11-16-08 07:49 AM
    I just cant get it to work and Im not sure what to do now. That is truly annoying!
    11-16-08 02:07 PM
    I just cant get it to work and Im not sure what to do now. That is truly annoying!
    What can't you get to work? The DM? And what process are you following to install it?
    11-16-08 02:11 PM
    Regardless of all that, did you check what I told you to check? I have plenty more experience under Vista in this respect and I can tell you that you need to check and make sure it's not a simple driver issue. Also check mass storage function for the internal 1GB of memory (if you don't have a Media Card). Check to see if even that works. If that doesn't, then you need to check into your connectivity situatoin with the cable or maybe even the port. If that works, then you can rule out a connection problem and focus on drivers or software issues with DM. If this PC had another version of DM installed on it prior to 4.7 you might want to make sure you did a clean uninstall of that version if you installed 4.7. Honestly, you can simply try connecting the Storm to prior versions of DM... they should work just fine as a test/troubleshooting process.
    11-16-08 02:20 PM
    For any of you out there who have your storms and DM 4.7: Are there any specific updates to 4.7?
    11-16-08 02:24 PM
    Hi CX, i am trying to sync the Storm using Desktop manager. I have the Bold and have on my pc DM 4.6. That works fine. I've got the CD that came with the Storm and that won't open on my lappy. Ok so i try to do the change device with what i've got 4.6DM. I get to the bit where it says plug in your new device and it tells me "Invalid Configeration. The device does not have sufficient storage to accomodate your selections. Please select fewer optional applications" . However, all I want to get on there is my calendar and my contacts. I have not downloaded any applications apart from the crackberry launcher. I have deleted Vodafone live and I only have 1 phone number in my contact. So I'm stuck. Any help much appreciated. Also I havent got a memory card in the Storm. Maybe i should put that in and it might get it going. Let me give that a go.
    11-16-08 02:28 PM
    Check and see how much free memory is listed in the Status on the Storm.
    11-16-08 02:32 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD