RIM,

For those of us who prefer to use Linix (Ubuntu in my case), it would be nice for someone in your dev department to come up with a DM app that will work in Linux. From what I have searched/read, there are a real number of potential consumers that you may be losing because of the lack of Linux support.

Linux is open source, the idea is community support. Why not have a version for us, even if it's somewhat limited to start with? Need beta testers?

Thanks
    05-21-10 12:31 PM
    I have to agree with you on that one. Most of the computers in the house use Ubuntu 10.04 and one uses 8.04.4 due to it being a bit incompatible with 10.04 (bugs being worked out in the future) and windows xp on the 11 year old desktop for syncing with my bold 9700. If there was a Linux version, I wouldn't need windows.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 10:28 PM
    And for one, media transfer could be done via Rhythmbox or the KDE alternative as it doesn't have to be a feature since it's part of ubuntu.

05-22-10 10:30 PM
    It's too bad that there isn't a Linux version of the Desktop Manager...I am currently using a virtual machine as a work-around.
    05-26-10 04:17 PM
    It's too bad that there isn't a Linux version of the Desktop Manager...I am currently using a virtual machine as a work-around.
    Why didn't I think of that? Since the backup file can be saved anywhere...

05-26-10 04:55 PM
    Just so users know...If you are running Linux on your PC you can use "barrybackup" as a method to backup your device...

PM me if you need any help!

BBM:21948735
    Last edited by jshuford; 05-27-10 at 04:53 AM.
    05-27-10 04:48 AM
    I don't really like using a VM to run Desktop Manager. I just dual-booted my machine. Yes it's a pain to have to reboot every time I want to swap back and forth between the two OS's, but I like DM and I like Ubuntu...
    05-27-10 09:22 PM
    I've never tried, but will DM run in wine?

Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

05-30-10 09:28 PM
    I doubt we will see linux support for the desktop manager. I am a nix sys admin and run some form of it on my personal systems as well. One of the main issues with linux is the fragmentation in the number of variants - which would RIM choose to support? Likely the answer would be RedHat which undoubtedly only satisfy a portion of the linux world. Given todays hardware running a Win based vm is rather trivial - and in my case at least seems to fill in the gap for all of the Windows based software I still need to run to.

05-30-10 10:15 PM
    I doubt we will see linux support for the desktop manager. I am a nix sys admin and run some form of it on my personal systems as well. One of the main issues with linux is the fragmentation in the number of variants - which would RIM choose to support? Likely the answer would be RedHat which undoubtedly only satisfy a portion of the linux world. Given todays hardware running a Win based vm is rather trivial - and in my case at least seems to fill in the gap for all of the Windows based software I still need to run to.

It wouldn't be too difficult for RIM to work on RedHat and Debian variants...since those two distributions represent the overwhelming majority of Linux desktops!
    06-15-10 02:37 AM
    I've never tried, but will DM run in wine?

Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

I tried a few different version in the latest version of Wine, but nothing would start successfully. That option would be fine if it worked...
    06-15-10 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD